• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is up with the frequent stuttering in multiple Square-Enix published games on PS4?

wvnative

The stutters are brief, but NIER Automata, the Final Fantasy VII port, and Kingdom Hearts 0.2 and that movie of which the name currently escapes me... What the hell is up with this?

They are all perfectly playable but its noticeable and annoying. None of these games are on Xbox so not sure if this would still happen, but geez. Been wondering this for over a year now. Gonna replay FF7 begining to end when the remake gets a release date but this makes me just wanna play it on PS3.

Anyone know what this is about? Even the pre-rendered opening in kingdom hearts 0.2 stutters a bit...

Last edited:

Mathrin

I can honestly say I've had no noticeable stuttering in any of the games you've listed.

Could your console be on the way out, overheating or the like?

Rellik

I can honestly say I've had no noticeable stuttering in any of the games you've listed.

I was playing Nier Automata yesterday and noticed 1 case of stuttering near Pascal's village. But that was it. The first and last time I noticed it.

SirCrush

I was getting regular frame drops on those games too. I hear it's an overheating issuer so cleaned my fan yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test yet but the stutters were quite frequent. I'll try to update after work.

wvnative

Nope, happened when these games came out when my Pro was only a couple weeks old. Only happens on these games.

wvnative

Nope, happened when these games came out when my Pro was only a couple weeks old. Only happens on these games. Also happened on Evolve but that game was awful regardless.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
In the Digital Foundry video on Nier Automata, you can see on the graphs that there is moments of bad frame pacing, especially when exploring the open area after the initial tutorial mission. There are also frequent frame rate drops on both the base and pro console, which contributes to the problem.

proandrad

Honestly if all 30fps games didn't have poor frame pacing I would stop complaining about 30 vs 60 fps. Ratchet and Clank on ps4 should be the standard of how smooth all 30fps games should feel if developers want to keep pushing graphics over 60fps.

nowhat

Regarding NieR: Automata, I just replayed it and compared to launch, going by my completely unscientific gut feel, it seemed to drop frames less frequently. It wasn't terrible at launch, but seems to be improved.

What was and remains an issue is asset streaming (apparently also on PC too - but the PC port seems to be a mess in general), when traversing the world you get stuttering every now and then. Not a dealbreaker (and doesn't affect combat), but something that definitely could be improved upon.

Last edited:

wvnative

Regarding NieR: Automata, I just replayed it and compared to launch, going by my completely unscientific gut feel, it seemed to drop frames less frequently. It wasn't terrible at launch, but seems to be improved.

What was and remains an issue is asset streaming (apparently also on PC too - but the PC port seems to be a mess in general), when traversing the world you get stuttering every now and then. Not a dealbreaker (and doesn't affect combat), but something that definitely could be improved upon.

So you think these games are failing to stream assets properly? Even FF7?

It's just a weird quirk that has me weary of their upcoming games.

nowhat

So you think these games are failing to stream assets properly? Even FF7?
Oh, I'm not saying it's due to asset streaming in general with SE games, just that with NieR this seems to be the issue. The game runs fine (not a locked 60fps but close enough for me at least on a Pro) otherwise.

wvnative

Oh, I'm not saying it's due to asset streaming in general with SE games, just that with NieR this seems to be the issue. The game runs fine (not a locked 60fps but close enough for me at least on a Pro) otherwise.
I gotcha.

This shall forever remain a mystery. Perhaps in my spare time I will go back and play Nier again and compare to other games to see if there's a correlation. I was just wondering if anybody knew what was up with this.

Top Bottom