• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Kind Of Music Did Your Parents Listen To When You Were A Kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

My parents listened to terrible pop country like Shania Twain and Reba Mcentire and all that crap. The only way it may have affected my own taste is that I probably hate that stuff way more than I ever would have naturally. Would have probably hated it naturally anyway, though.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I grew up listening to classic rock mostly, which I wouldn't have minded were it not for the fact that they kept the radio on the only classic rock station in our area. 27 years later and they're still playing the same 20 or so "classics".

Machine

I was born in 1965. My parents were in their early forties at the time and listened to easy listening music which was and still is dreadfully bad. Dad was always very strict about what music could be on when he was around but mom would sometimes let me put on a top 40 station if he wasn't in the car. Fortunately, my siblings are all much older than me and exposed me to a lot of good stuff like the Beatles, Stones, Doors and Who.

You know how sometimes you think of a song and you think you know the words, but the words you know are so ridiculous you know it can't possibly be right? Well, I remembered a Dan Fogelberg song my mom liked back in the day but the only words I could think of were "precious flesh is greedily consumed." Well, that turned out to be completely correct, and it's a song called Make Love Stay. And that song is so horrible. And so was my mother's taste in music.

Hopefully this link works, I'm at work so I can't see Youtubes

Jag

Born in 68 and we had a 2nd house in Woodstock, NY. It was kind of weird hanging out with the hippies that couldn't find their way out of town, but my dad was a gun toting conservative.

Regardless, I grew up on a steady diet of mostly folk rock. Simon & Garfunkle, Carol King, Mamas and Papas and unfortunately Barbara Streisand when my mom took over the car.

Born in 71, I heard a lot of 50s and 60s in addition to current stuff growing up.

My mom is a bigtime Motown fan, so I heard a lot of Four Tops, Temptations, Smokey, Supremes, etc.

My dad (like me) was pretty eclectic - everything from Beatles, Beach boys, Simon & Garfunkle to some psychedelia, to Doc Sevrenson, Dionne Warwick, to Cheap Trick and Pink Floyd - all over the board.

And they would both occasionally break out some folk, like Kingston Trio.

My first favorite song as a kid was a polka song, 'In Heaven There Is No Beer'.

At some point when I was 5 or 6 my dad walked into my room and gave me two records. Chuck Berry and Fats Domino. I've been a huge music fan ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom