• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's going on with south park: fractured but whole?

TI82

Banned
Game was announced and shown off at e3 2016, looked good and coming the following winter:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YetEXHGbskA

September 2016, delayed to "early 2017"
https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/15/south-park-the-fractured-but-whole-delayed-early-2017/

February 2017, delayed from April 2017 to 2018
https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/09/south-park-the-fractured-but-whole-delay/

Sony cancels preorders
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ng-south-park-fractured-whole-psn-pre-orders/

And now at GameStop the store gave me the promo poster they had up for free saying it was corporate direction to remove the posters from the store.

Is there some horrible development issues going on? The first game was purchased from THQ mostly complete so I'm wondering if Ubisoft didn't know what they were getting into with this level of production or what because this is just bananas.

Karak

There are some pretty hard rumors about its development being stalled and that the issues that Obsidian had getting feedback from the creators is repeating but worse here.

Edit: not a double post. GAF mobile tricked me.

Basically I said I almost would be more likely to believe it was Matt and Trey messing around with the story more than technical issues.

DKL

I hope this actually comes out at some point given that it was actually my favorite Paper Mario game :v

There are some pretty hard rumors about its development being stalled and that the issues that Obsidian had getting feedback from the creators is repeating but worse here.

Edit: reading is hard.

It has been in development hell for a minute here.

This makes me profoundly sad if true. At E3 Trey and Matt talked about how they learned a bunch of lessons from Stick of Truth so it seemed like they had a better plan for But Whole (heh). I wonder what the problem could be?

The alarm bells are definitely ringing but I'm not too worried.
Stick of Truth had an even harder time getting out the door but it found its way out and managed to be pretty damn great.

I'd say there's still hope.

deim0s

Ubi is still figuring out how and where to place some climbable towers.

Sas really, am still looking forward to it tho.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This makes me profoundly sad if true. At E3 Trey and Matt talked about how they learned a bunch of lessons from Stick of Truth so it seemed like they had a better plan for But Whole (heh). I wonder what the problem could be?

Civil War became a massive movie and changed pop culture super hero flicks and trump won.

These guys finish writing a day before an episode.
Having to lock a massive, 20houre script 6 months before a product ships in a day and age where "modern" changes every week? It's torture for everyone I imagine

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait what? It was delayed to 2018? o_O

I had no idea it had been delayed until 2018. I have to imagine the game's going through a total rework with how much it's been pushed back- story, mechanics, everything.

The South Park guys want to make sure that their games are quality products since they're being pushed as an extension of the show, and it takes up a LOT of their time to work on it. Like more work than making entire seasons of the series, or the movie, ever did.

I have to wonder if Ubisoft is struggling to meet their quality standards or something.

Tagyhag

I assume we'll know at Ubi's E3.

The multiple delays surprise me considering Obsidian aren't the ones developing it.

Grassy

According to the Ubisoft website it's only being delayed for a few months. I guess we'll hear more at E3.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole will no longer ship in March 2017 and is delayed for a few months on all platforms. The team(s) at South Park and Ubisoft San Francisco are committed to pushing the envelope during development to deliver the best experience possible, and this additional time will allow them to do so.

https://southpark.ubisoft.com/game/...-16/south-park-the-fractured-but-whole-update

HotHamBoy

What happens to digital pre-orders if the game gets canceled? Those people get refunds and keep Stick of Truth or is their licensed revoked?

Also, this is why DIGITAL PREORDERS ARE BULLSHIT. The original point of preorders was ensuring you got a copy on release day. There's no point in that with digital outside preloading.

Digital preorders shouldn't be possible until 1-2 weeks before release, it's a total scam that they charge you full price right then and there and you're left waiting through delay after delay.

You can't even cancel digital preorders. It's worse than a physical preorder in every way.

Blows my mind that they do it with digital movies now.

Ein Bear

I've had this pre-ordered and paid for on Xbox since... whichever E3 it was that they did the free Stick of Truth thing (can't remember if it was last year or the year before?)

Kind of wish Microsoft would follow Sony's lead and refund everyone at this point.

This is one of my most anticipated games. I really hope they don't mess it up, and bring the game to as many platforms as possible.

120v

as much as i loved Stick of Truth i wasn't really feeling this game. just seemed like a different spin on the same formula which is fine but more suited to an expansion or something

wouldn't mind at all if they're revisiting the drawing board on this one

Hasney

as much as i loved Stick of Truth i wasn't really feeling this game. just seemed like a different spin on the same formula which is fine but more suited to an expansion or something

wouldn't mind at all if they're revisiting the drawing board on this one

The whole battle system changed from a simple turn based RPG to a Tactics like RPG.

LAM09

There was talk that merchandise for the game is coming out this September, so let's hope the game follows.

Guess we'll get more news at E3, though.

Yeah it sucks, but stick of truth was brilliant. So if they need to delay the game to make it of equal or better quality then thats cool.

Im guessing that making a game in that style is really difficult and presents alot of development challenges that developers arent used to.

What happens to digital pre-orders if the game gets canceled? Those people get refunds and keep Stick of Truth or is their licensed revoked?

Also, this is why DIGITAL PREORDERS ARE BULLSHIT. The original point of preorders was ensuring you got a copy on release day. There's no point in that with digital outside preloading.

Digital preorders shouldn't be possible until 1-2 weeks before release, it's a total scam that they charge you full price right then and there and you're left waiting through delay after delay.

You can't even cancel digital preorders. It's worse than a physical preorder in every way.

I preorder but I wait until the last minute/a good price on greemangaming or something.

My next preorder will be Dawn of War 3 and I will probably get it day the open beta comes out.

Xbone doesn't charge until two weeks before release. And they do cancel upon request!

PSOreo

I really hope this comes out and is just as good as the first. I have had this pre-ordered on Amazon since it was announced so I could get the remaster of 'Stick of Truth' and get it at the £34 price. Now it's been three years and I've moved house. My order won't let me change the address either so I've lost my savings. Great.

T.O.P

Banned
Gold edition pre ordered since last year, just take the time it needs, there are one of a kind games like Stick of Truth, there's no rush

Top Bottom