• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the 360 "quick charge kit"?

aku:jiki

Just got a 360 last month and could just barely afford the machine and a bunch of regular like Duracell batteries to last me until today. They just barely did, so now I'm looking at battery replacement solutions.

I don't want the regular play & charge kit since it runs out too fast and I would have to play with a wire half the time (since I play a lot when I do play) and that would suck.

So I found this official Microsoft thing called the "quick charge kit", it looks like this:

boxquickChargeKit.jpg

I'm thinking of getting it and an extra battery so I would always have a fully-loaded one waiting to go, but the thing is, in the list of specifications they brag about how awesomely easy it is to use and blah blah blah, but they don't mention how. Do I just plug it into the wall, or what? (USB connection would be awesome!)

I can't link you to the page since xbox.com automatically forwards me to the swedish version so I don't have an URL you guys could read.

(This matters to me since I'm about to place an order at a UK webstore and they have different electrical whatevers than us so I wouldn't be able to order it.)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
aku:jiki said:
I don't want the regular play & charge kit since it runs out too fast and I would have to play with a wire half the time (since I play a lot when I do play) and that would suck.

You know you can charge the controller when you're not playing. Just stick it in one of your USB ports on your computer...or connect it to the X360 before turning it off

JB1981

Definitely worth it. Much better than that POS Play'n Charge kit. You plug it into the wall and the charger acts like a base for your battery packs. You attach the packs to both sides and it charges them simultaneously. It does this very fast as well.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Wario64 said:
You know you can charge the controller when you're not playing. Just stick it in one of your USB ports on your computer...or connect it to the X360 before turning it off

You can charge your X360 controller with a play and charge kit through your PC's usb port? That's like some crazy voodoo magic, man!

JB1981 said:
Definitely worth it. Much better than that POS Play'n Charge kit. You plug it into the wall and the charger acts like a base for your battery packs. You attach the packs to both sides and it charges them simultaneously. It does this very fast as well.
That sounds great, yeah, thanks for providing the clarification MS couldn't be arsed to. Too bad it means I'll have to buy it domestically. :(

joaomgcd

Excuse me for asking, but why would this be different from 4 regular rechargable batteries (besides being more expensive)?

I use my pc to charge my pack in my pad overnight, fully charged by 9am. It might just be me but the pc seems to charge it fast anyway.

*edit* because when batteries die you buy new ones, these can be charged for years resulting in saved money.

joaomgcd said:
Excuse me for asking, but why would this be different from 4 regular rechargable batteries (besides being more expensive)?
It would've been easier for my lazy ass to purchase since I was already on a games webstore buying games. :lol

boo7z

Goreomedy said:
You can charge your X360 controller with a play and charge kit through your PC's usb port? That's like some crazy voodoo magic, man!

If you really want to go all out you can even use your Digital Cable DVR! I use it to charge my iPod when all my PC usb slots are taken :p

Juice

boo7z said:
If you really want to go all out you can even use your Digital Cable DVR! I use it to charge my iPod when all my PC usb slots are taken :p

Ooh! Good call. I'm finding all sorts of uses for my $5/month Motorola Comcast HD DVR box.

I charge my controller via my PC's USB connection aswell. Charging via the Xbox 360 is too damn noisy (Play and Charge Kit).

And I just don't play once my controller is fully charged, it would be nice to see the progress of the charging via software. Is there any?

Wollan

You know, I can't figure out how to charge my X360 controller from the pc with the play & charge kit.

I hook it up. No lights on the controller comes on (I had it connected to the pc for two days ,still it didn't recharge however). I press the button and the machine will start up which is wrong. Can someone please give me the obvious answer?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
but surely you can't use your 360 controller while the pack is out? The benefit of the simple play and charge is that you can at least charge while playing, and you don't have to remove the pack all the time.

I really don't understand the point of this accessory. Does it even come with two sets of batteries, or you have to supply your own?

Wollan

mrklaw said:
I really don't understand the point of this accessory. Does it even come with two sets of batteries, or you have to supply your own?

It's 'built in'. The whole thing is solid. I have no clue how to recharge it on my pc though.

joaomgcd

Wollan, that happened to me too at first. Try to clean all the metal "pieces" on the battery and the USB connector and see if that helps. It did it for me...

aku:jiki said:
The batteries (which are the same in the P&C and quick charge kits, I think) last quite a while. Got to good for at least twenty hours; maybe more, but I generally plug mine in before shutting down some time before that anyways.

The quick charge kit with two batteries may well still be better for you, but that quote makes it seem that you might be underestimating the life of the rechargeable batteries.

Wollan

joaomgcd said:
Wollan, that happened to me too at first. Try to clean all the metal "pieces" on the battery and the USB connector and see if that helps. It did it for me...

Should it light up in some way when it is recharging?

Wollan

Looks like there is a problem with one of my controllers like the battery contact doesn't connect all that well. My second controller started recharging straight away.

joaomgcd said:

It recharges faster and you don't have deal with the pain in the butt of putting in and taking out those AA batteries from the plastic case thingy.

mrklaw said:
but surely you can't use your 360 controller while the pack is out? The benefit of the simple play and charge is that you can at least charge while playing, and you don't have to remove the pack all the time.

It does come with 1 battery pack included. There is a 3rd party version for the same price that comes with 2 batteries.

speculawyer said:
It recharges faster and you don't have deal with the pain in the butt of putting in and taking out those AA batteries from the plastic case thingy.

Isn't really a bonus. Even normal recharger charge faster than the batteries run out.

Top Bottom