• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the PS3's manufacturer warranty period?

Chris_C

What's the PS3's standard warranty in the US, and can you get an extra warranty period the way you could with the 360?

Jim

Chris_C said:
That would be awesome if it's the same here in the US, but somehow I doubt it.

Why? PS2 slim is 1 year, the PSP is 1 year, and the PS3 is also 1 year, for both JP and US so far. Says so right in the retail box.

and

IGN: The warranty info that came with our retail unit states the PS3 hardware is guaranteed against mechanical defects for one year. So yeah, not too shabby.

Chris_C

Jim said:
Why? PS2 slim is 1 year, the PSP is 1 year, and the PS3 is also 1 year, for both JP and US so far. Says so right in the retail box.

and

For some reason I thought the original PS2 warranty was only 6 months... maybe that was just the crappy Nigerian warranty :p

And I don't have a PS3 retail box so there's no way I could have known that :) (at least not till Friday morning!)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Chris_C said:
For some reason I thought the original PS2 warranty was only 6 months... maybe that was just the crappy Nigerian warranty :p

It did, but the original PS2 is no longer sold.

Chris_C said:

And I don't have a PS3 retail box so there's no way I could have known that :) (at least not till Friday morning!)

I think the original was actually 90 days.

Jim

jamesinclair said:
I think the original was actually 90 days.

Yep... thankfully since then, most of Sony's consumer electronic products have come standard with 1 year+ (SXRD sets are 1 year general w/2 year optical block, Bravia LCDs are 18 months, etc. ).

JB1981

So will we be able to wait a year til we extended the warranty, or will Sony force us into paying for extended warranty service earlier than that?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nintendo and Sony provide 1 year, or they have for their past few hardware releases anyway.

Top Bottom