• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your favorite Shoot em' up of all time?

K1Expwy

Musha Aleste, G-Darius, Strikers 1999 and Battle Garegga (by coincidence, they all have great soundtracks)

For me, I always like Gradius IV, and it's ost, however I think im going to have to give this to. The 80's classic Demon Attack.

When you see those cool particle materializing effects and the background thumping sound a sense of doom and tension goes across you. The fear is high, and the demons keep coming! Ahhh!

But seriously Demon attack is great, no wonder it keeps topping lists 40 years later.

Defender gets an honorable mention along with Asteroids, Bosconian, Gradius IV, and Thunder Force 2.

tumblr_pgc7fypQ2H1xch6xgo1_400.gif

Gradius IV was the weakest console/arcade sequel in the series. Gaiden, V and II tower above it.

I’m the worst at shumps but I remember liking:

Legendary Wings (NES)
Super Star Soldier (TG16)
UN Squadron(SNES)

I also remember playing Zaxxon on my
Dad’s ColecoVision. Perspective was unique, but made it very hard to pass through openings in the walls.

cireza

Verytex on MegaDrive has a fantastic soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto and other composers.

Last edited:

zenspider

I searched my soul, and R-Type FINAL is the only true answer.

Or Einhander. Or 1943. Or Big Bang Mini. Or U.N. Squadron. or... DON'T MAKE DECIDE!

This introspection has made me realize most of my favorite shooters are actually rail shooters (S&P:SS, Panzer Dragoon, Afterburner, Galaxy Force, etc.) Huh.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoy shoot em up sections inside other games.

Too many to name, but Blazing Star on Neo Geo is definitely up there. Blew me away when I first played it. An amazing technical accomplishment and still looks good even to this day.

Last edited:
We need a ruling on the field. DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi , are rail-shooters shmups?
It ain't my thread!

Generally, I err on the side of less snobbish: everything from Space Invaders to Muchi Muchi Pork is a "shmup". If we start icluding Ikari Warriors/Pocky&Rocky/Momorokun or perhaps Metal Slug/Contra then we're wandering into "run and gun" territory.

"Rail shooters" aren't usually considered shmups, but stuff like Galaxy Force, S&P, Panzer Dragoon blurs the line.

Too many to name, but Blazing Star in Neo Geo is definitely up there. Blew me away when I first played it. An amazing technical accomplishment and still looks good even to this day.
Yeah Blazing Star is a visual treat. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention (oh wait, it was on a Neo Geo... of course it didn't get any attention)

Last edited:

cireza

Yeah Blazing Star is a visual treat. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention (oh wait, it was on a Neo Geo... of course it didn't get any attention)
I have Pulstar on NGCD, the game is gorgeous. However, death is very punishing as you lose all upgrades, and sometimes it is pretty much impossible to continue at a check point in the stage because you are so underpowered. Really a design I dislike in shmups. Otherwise, the game is absolutely stunning. This is an adjective that describes pretty well the Neo Geo overall. And the Neo Geo CDZ is a great buy with a fantastic RGB output.

I plan on buying Viewpoint and Last Resort one of these days. I hope that one day some fans will manage to make the few ports that were not released on the system.

Last edited:
I have Pulstar on NGCD, the game is gorgeous. However, death is very punishing as you lose all upgrades, and sometimes it is pretty much impossible to continue at a check point in the stage because you are so underpowered. Really a design I dislike in shmups. Otherwise, the game is absolutely stunning. This is an adjective that describes pretty well the Neo Geo overall. And the Neo Geo CDZ is a great buy with a fantastic RGB output.

I plan on buying Viewpoint and Last Resort one of these days. I hope that one day some fans will manage to make the few ports that were not released on the system.
Pulstar is an R-Type clone so it makes sense that it would rely on those mid-80s "die and you might as well start over" mechanics. I don't mind this at all because while it is much harder to jump in and 1CC the game, practicing those types of games is much simpler and faster than practicing a bullet-hell.

Blazing Star gives each player a special charge shot plus power-ups are pretty common. So, the punishment for death isn't nearly as damaging as Pulstar (or Gradius or R-Type). I haven't played much of Last Resort nor Viewpoint, so I have no opinion there.

Also, shameless plug for the shmup OT in case people want to read other recent discussions on the topic.

Pulstar is an R-Type clone so it makes sense that it would rely on those mid-80s "die and you might as well start over" mechanics. I don't mind this at all because while it is much harder to jump in and 1CC the game, practicing those types of games is much simpler and faster than practicing a bullet-hell.

Blazing Star gives each player a special charge shot plus power-ups are pretty common. So, the punishment for death isn't nearly as damaging as Pulstar (or Gradius or R-Type). I haven't played much of Last Resort nor Viewpoint, so I have no opinion there.

Also, shameless plug for the shmup OT in case people want to read other recent discussions on the topic.

Just letting people know that link is spam and will send you a virus that redirects you to resetera.

Be safe and stay on this thread on gaf. ;)

But seriously, rail shooters aren't really shoot em' ups, and to be honest even that name isn't what they were originally called but the whole point of these games is not be have that scripted hand-holding feel which on-rail shooters have.

Pejo

Since I suck ass at shmups, I'm going to say the Gradius series, if I had to pick a single one - Gradius 3. It was so much lower of a barrier of entry, and I love the little options that follow you around and shoot. It had a satisfying power up path and never went strictly into bullet hell, which I both can't handle and don't find enjoyable.

Soldier Blade on the PC Engine is one of the few shoot em ups I’m any good at. I love the game from the art to the music and it’s smoooooooth.

I haven’t given much time to a lot of games in the genre, so it’s not a super informed opinion. Still it’s a fucking god tear game.

I uploaded a YouTube video of some gameplay a while ago. (High score chasing)

Blue Thunder on the Lynx and Blue Thunder on the Jaguar has to be the biggest contrast between ports I've ever seen, especially in quality. Lynx version just blows the Jag one out the water.

Also shout out to Lynx Raiden and Super Asteroids & Missile Command

HotPocket69

Banned
Really loved Air Zonk and Blazing Lazers. The PC Engine was THE system for shooters,

Also partial to Vapor Trail for the Genesis. If anything for this track. LISTEN TO THAT

Its still a p good shmup, but that track is beyond dope. The Sega sound chip was a BEAST

It varies but Ketsui , DDPDOJ , Garegga or Ibara are at the top of my list but then again games like Batrider, Dogyuun, or Cyvern ....really to many top games to choose from .
Have a ton of them on lots of platforms but must admit I haven't played a lot the last years .

Top Bottom