• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your view on quick time events (QTEs)?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I like them when properly implemented (not jank) and in small doses. For example:
  • QTE during a cutscene and out of nowhere, totally unexpected: that's shit.
  • Simple QTE when you would expect it: that's cool. For example, during heat actions in the Yakuza games.
When used in the right moment they can also enhance the experience. See example below, you couldn't reproduce that kind of stuff in a cutscene or during normal gameplay.

metal-gear-rising.gif

So yeah, I wouldn't get rid of them at all, but it's true that when not properly implemented they can really feel like the jankiest crap.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
In most games I think they’re annoying and unnecessary, but I feel they have their place in party games like Mario Party etc.

Alx

I prefer free gameplay and dislike cutscenes. QTE being somewhere in the middle, I can appreciate them when they're closer to the gameplay part, ie the command inputs make sense in regards to what's happening on-screen. Shenmue did that for example in its chase scenes, you weren't putting random inputs but directions to which the character should be dodging, or jump/hit buttons etc. In that case it's more a way of adding cool setups and scripted animations to gameplay commands (which can also be done with contextual animations btw). Also failing the QTE shouldn't cause instant failure and ask you to start again until you know the key sequences by heart.

Last edited:

baphomet

The QTE from 2008 has morphed into sections with slightly more input, but is still basically a pass/fail based on expected input. You may be holding a direction or some other menial bullshit, but huge amounts of games these days are essentially QTE's and it's fucking garbage.

That Hellblade 2 "gameplay" demo? It's a QTE
Large portions of the typical Naughty Dog trash? It's all just a QTE

DaGwaphics

It depends. If they are implemented well and they give you that nervous feel when they pop up, I don't have a problem with it as long as it is not overdone. If the QTEs are basically in lieu of really game play, I'm generally not a fan.

All though, I will say that in a choose your own adventure style game, well timed QTEs can keep you invested in the events that are playing out. As Dusk Falls executed that strategy very well as the game had no other game play elements for the most part.

DonF

I was replaying bayoneta 1 last week, after finishing 3 and I forgot QTE where a thing in that game. Atrocious. Specially considering some are lethal.

So yeah, I don't like them. I remember God of war 3 had good QTE considering the UI. Were intrusive, the side the buttons were displayed corresponded to the button layout on the controller so it didn't require lots of attention.

Bakkus

Terrible with the exception of some heavy over the top action games. Then it can work to amplify the over the top silliness. As long as it's limited to just a few times in the game.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They’re dumbed down moments to focus on cinematics at the expense of good gameplay mechanics. Similar to mindless button mashing, only you wait for the button prompt.

I prefer games with deeper mechanics that don’t rely on them, but I don’t mind the occasional QTE like in Diehard Arcade. Shit’s way overdone in something like Ninja Blade though, which some people pretend is secretly some great From soft game.

Last edited:
RE4 had them a bit too abrupt, but every quantic dream game had at least interesting ideas although some worked better than others.
Pure cutscenes are usually worse since games stories suck more often than not, so adding some level of interaction makes an otherwise barely tolerable or mediocre scene more intense and thrilling. Games compared to movies and books have terrible writing so making qtes is kind of a necessity, is preferred by me, improves them, only over the top weird things like Kojima work with long in between cutscenes, those always sort of awkward movies. Either let me play or change your career to Hollywood. Only intros and outros should be non interactive movies in games.
Much rather have qtes in everything (from fifa to fighting games to fps etc.) than waste my time "playing" get from A to B in open world games and spend half of the entire game pressing stick forward like some machine operator having to press two buttons for safety reasons.

Top Bottom