• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Are We Getting Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money?

#Phonepunk#

Banned

The Mel Brooks film Spaceballs was an instant classic. Hilarious goofball comedy wrapped in slick 80s fantasy blockbuster production. Featuring classic performances from comedy legends John Candy and Rick Moranis, it both pokes a hole in the seriousness of the space action film and pays it loving tribute.

One of the most beloved scenes is the introduction of the Yoda character, called Yoghurt, played by director Mel Brooks. His "Merchandising! Merchandising!" rant is one of the all-time great satirical rants.

Later on in the film, he says "God willing, we'll all meet again in Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money".

Well, now that we have a prequel trilogy, a sequel trilogy, and decades of more Star Wars to come, isn't it about time we got a sequel to Spaceballs? At this point i desperately want to see a sequel to Spaceballs whereas for Star Wars i could care less, they have made so many movies, and will make so many more. We need Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money.

How is this not already a thing? Mel Brooks should be milking this for all he can! He was right, and he already owns the IP rights to a proven satirical property. He could be making billions just off a potential Spaceballs the Musical broadway show alone.

When do we get Spaceballs 2?

Last edited:
Yes, there's an insane amount of potential in making a sequel to Spaceballs, they can spoof both the Prequels and Sequels now.

The only trouble though is Rick Moranis, he's a pretty integral part of Spaceballs but he's been retired for ages, Spaceballs without Rick Moranis would be weird, but it could still work.

In my mind's eye I can see a new Spaceballs so clearly and some of the jokes they could, like making the Rey parody a blue haired, tattooed up feminist type, it'd be hilarious.

Mel Brooks' death will be mourned in the cinemaphile world as much as metalhead will mourn Ozzy's eventual passing.

I say fuck it. If Hollywood will give any random fuck 100 million dollars to direct a failure, give Brooks (one of the funniest men to ever live) an unlimited budget to make a grand last hurrah.

Last edited:
Mel Brooks' death will be mourned in the cinemaphile world as much as metalhead will mourn Ozzy's eventual passing.

I say fuck it. If Hollywood will give any random fuck 100 million dollars to direct a failure, give Brooks (one of the funniest men to ever live) an unlimited budget to make a grand last hurrah.

I'm not even past my 30s, and Mel Brooks in his late 80s still had / has far more wit and memory than I have at less than half his age. This was from five years ago. The man is a national treasure:

Nymphae

Banned
According to this:

While its relatively obscure now, Spaceballs actually received a follow-up in the form of Spaceballs: The Animated Series in 2008. Brooks co-created the series and reprised his dual roles as both President Skroob and Yogurt. Other cast members returned too, including Joan Rivers as Dot Matrix. Sadly, the show's cheap animation and scattershot parody of other franchises like Spider-Man proved to be a huge disappointment and the series only lasted one season.

I didn't even know about this. Maybe he just doesn't want to go back to the same well a third time, he never really did sequels. It was just a good joke lol.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Without Candy or Rivers...? Nah, no. Mel Brooks is a cool guy and knows that whole lots of people want it, it just wouldn’t work without them. Plus, Rick Moranis would pretty much be required to be back, or it won’t work. I know thatbold quote about him never working again is false, and that he just selects his things better now, but would this be the one to tempt him...?

Essentially, you would have a prince who is old as anything, a princess who doesn’t even look the same and hasn’t been in anything for a while, a main bad guy who doesn’t really do big stuff any more, and a few side characters who are, well, dead.

So not sure how it would even work :(

Spaceballs is one of my all time faves and I always wished for a sequel, but I think regrettably, that ship has long sailed :(

Edit: ok maybe, maybe... let’s say Rick was on board, well you could say certain characters have gone off to do stuff off camera and get around deaths, and you could have the prince and princess be all bored on the throne and make this about their kids... but then, you jump right back into “why” territory :(

Last edited:

Zaru

Essentially, you would have a prince who is old as anything, a princess who doesn’t even look the same and hasn’t been in anything for a while, a main bad guy who doesn’t really do big stuff any more, and a few side characters who are, well, dead.
Most of that kind of applies to the current Star Wars trilogy.

But I don't really need another Spaceballs where they retread that ground.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Saw this last week with my girlfriend. It hasn´t aged well. In fact it was fucking terrible, with lots of lame dick jokes, story written on a napkin and outside of Dark Helmet and Dot Matrix there is not one memorable character, or one that would pass as funny or spoofs for that matter. Barf, Princess Druidia and Lone Starr are fucking jokes and miss the target completely. As a spoof of Star Wars it fails miserably and it is without a doubt the worst Mel Brooks-films together with Dracula Dead and Loving it. The only real funny scene that brought a smile to my face was this, but it´s typical Mel Brooks 4th wall-fodder so in the end, it didn´t do much.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Yeah, I agree Spaceballs is strangely becoming more overrated as time passes...there's only really a couple of good jokes, the rest were lame and cringy. It's sad because it's overshadowing Mel Brook's really brilliant movies like Young Frankenstein, History of the World, etc.

Used-ID

I think we'll get it right after he finishes "History of the World: Part 2"
I think the subtitle is "Jews in space"? Or was the line "... See Jews in space....." I can't remember - but the space battle looked like it might be good....

Top Bottom