• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Konami Blacklisted IGN over Castlevania - Colin's Last Stand: Side Quest

Senua

Gold Member
From 2010 through 2013, IGN was victimized by the single most unprofessional bout of nonsense directed toward it by the publisher Konami. The drama surrounded Konami’s and MercurySteam’s Castlevania: Lords of Shadow trilogy, beginning with IGN having the audacity to call the original game “good,” and ending with the temporary blacklisting of the entire site, and… well… me! Here's the full, 'til-now-untold story.

lifa-cobex

Not that i'm a fan of number rated reviews, This does seem petty on Konami's part.
IGN has a bad reputation for a long time now. I wonder if this jaded Cox into making him think it was a poor review on IGN'S part.

By far not the most petty thing Konami's ever done, but in line with their reputation. I wonder if this controversy aided in generating a mutuality between Moriarty and Jim Sterling, who have both actively voiced their disdain for the company and its managers.

lifa-cobex

By far not the most petty thing Konami's ever done, but in line with their reputation. I wonder if this controversy aided in generating a mutuality between Moriarty and Jim Sterling, who have both actively voiced their disdain for the company and its managers.
TBF I think all gaming media worth their salt have denounced Konami.

You know it's really sad that Konami own some of the greatest IP in the gaming world. They turned out to be a corrupt bunch of bureaucrats that created a toxic work environment that quite honestly sounded like it broke many employment laws. And yet they brought us some of the best games of all time.

Such a stark contrast that the staff of Konami found light in the darkness by simply using their talents to the best of their abilities and working through tireless crunch for a labour of love. While Konami created Silent Hill Shattered Memories, my GOAT and Silent Hill 2, unequivocally a game that changed the games industry, the cancellation of Silent Hills, their treatment of staff, media and third party relationships, I have nothing but disdain for that company.

Their self implosion is not justified and the IP under their ownership is being suffocated waiting in oblivion, probably never to be used again. I know that Konami still create some video game content and use their IP to create Pachinko and arcade experiences, but if I was a company like Sony.... I'd be negotiating and getting the cheque book out.

It's amusing that both Konami and Square Enix (or were they still Eidos back then? I forget) got worked up and blacklisted websites over "low" scores for mediocre games (Lords of Shadow and Kane & Lynch, respectively).

Last edited:

gioGAF

Lol, Konami is terrible. All they had was Kojima, now they have nothing (guessing they are going to milk Kojima's work for as long as they can).

In other news, at least Capcom seems to be going in the right direction.

Osukaa

Damn Konami this is such a turnaround for a company that I used to love. They have alot of franchises that I wish would get a couple more games out of such as Castlevania, Suikoden, DDR, Conta, ZOE, even another Bloody Roar would be awesome...
All the talent there seems to have up and left and it is now a shell of its former glory. I think the only thing that would get people to even care or give them another chance is if they were acquired by one of the big 3 console makers (or a developer that cares about its franchises) and started fresh. I just want the whole current management to be gone.

Brock2621

This Side Quest series has been great. Glad Colin is making gaming content again.

Agreed. It’s been refreshing, I’m wanting him to do a review here and there from some of the bigger games of the year.

For instance, he’s been really outspoken against Kratos’ story and character as a whole, I’d love for him to play through the new one and give his take on the progression of this new page in the lore’s chapter both in narrative and mechanics.

Shifty

'IGN' and 'victimized' in the same sentence strikes me as pretty weird given that they're the closest thing the industry press has to a publisher lapdog.

Konami is definitely the greater evil though. Will give this a watch.

Edit: Sounds like Konami really shat the bed on that one. I remember following the development of the Lords of Shadow series for a while and it sounded like it had its share of issues outside of this feud with IGN US, particularly the second game.

Last edited:

Brock2621

I don't know what happened with Konami. I can't tell if it's a cultural rift that has gotten larger and not adapted as their properties have grown worldwide, or just poor management (evil people). I don't get it.

lifa-cobex

I don't know what happened with Konami. I can't tell if it's a cultural rift that has gotten larger and not adapted as their properties have grown worldwide, or just poor management (evil people). I don't get it.

It's just business.
We only get a slither amount of information as to what goes on in that company.
Konami seems like a very tight lipped place and don't like any bad reputation from within or outside the company.
Naturally if anything bad gets leaked to the public. The public tend to run with it by connecting the dots to what they have been doing.

If I had to guess, I would say they are "trimming the fat" and just going for the long term money maker games.
Japan is a very business focused place. If they think they can't make money from games anymore, They will milk what they have and let the rest burn.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I do find it interesting that the review in question was written by Daemon Hatfield and they accuse him of not playing the game. As he was accused and busted for the same thing previously for an indie game review.

Still, after skimming through his Lords of Shadow review in question, it is quite positive and this seems like a major overreaction from one guy at Mercury Steam/Konami.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Colin isn't a great journalist IMO but that was a fascinating insight. Dave Cox sounds like a diva, from the video. His LoS games were pretty much trash, so I understand his saltiness.

Last edited:

Lilseb93

EA's horrible 2017 didn't make me forget about Konami. Screw them. It's a shame there's several great franchises like Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania that are stuck with this company.

I've never much listened to Colin, but this was a great little story. Never underestimate how unbelievably petty people can be over a review score. I don't much agree with his politics or some of his social stances he's taken on twitter, but I've always found the hysteria surrounding him somewhat bemusing. I don't really like to comment on ResetEra usually, but I think it's to their detriment that they can't find a way to discuss him without closing threads and, ultimately, sanctioning him as an off-limits topic. Particularly, when he has great anecdotes such as this.

Ridcully

The most shocking thing to me was that it was Cox that was driving the behaviour. You'd think that if any western producer at Konami was going to take steps to control coverage, it'd be Hulett.

Top Bottom