• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where should The Elder Scrolls go next?

Astra

The thing I hated most about Skyrim was, no matter what race you choose to play, the game plays out basically exactly the same, the only change being what three racial insults you get hurled at you a million times over the course of the game.

If you were an Altmer, you couldn't join the Thalmor, or side with them at all, not even just in conversations. If you were a Khajiit, nobody outside of bandits ever acted any differently towards you, not even Nords when they find out their messiah figure is not even from Skyrim. Basically, unless you're playing a Nord the reactions people have towards you are just not right. There's zero capacity for roleplaying.

I want other races to treat you poorly if you're an Argonian, unless they're a kind person. I want to walk in a store as a Khajiit and be told to leave. I want to walk into an alleyway full of gambling Dunmer and be invited in if I'm also Dunmer, and otherwise just receive cold stares and silence. I want to be able to treat everyone like dirt if I'm an Altmer, I want to act like a prideful asshole if I'm a Nord.

I know one of the design philosophies is "you can do anything!" but I want to only be able to do everything my character could do, and I want every play through to be different.

Yes! I was preparing a similar reply before I read this.
I feel so disconnected from the world when I am playing as an Altmer or Dunmer. The only difference you see, is a few choice words. As an Altmer from the patrolling Thalmor, he says "You're a disgrace to the Altmer. I should kill you on principle alone." or something to that effect.

Walk into Windhelm as a High Elf? No problem at all. Ulfric is more than happy to have you join the Stormcloakes. I think it would have been great if he refused to even see you, or even better, let's you join up, only to use you, and perhaps attempt to kill you when you've served whatever purpose he had in mind for you. Though really, I think it'd be better to not be allowed to join at all, and instead have the option of joining the Thalmor.

So disappointing they don't have race specific quests and events, or even gender specific ones. Everybody is treated the same, and for such a prejudiced place like Skyrim, it's really off-putting.

Loxley

It should go back to the drawing board to make it a good game

Great productive post that really adds to the discussion, 9/10.

Personally I think the Black Marshes could be really interesting, definitely a chnage of environment from Skyrim.

It's going to be hilarious if/when Bethesda takes the series to a modern time or something similar or equivalent.

They actually should try that imo. I love the series, but I wouldn't mind seeing some WRPG's including this one set in other time periods besides medieval times.

Hammerfell

It'd be funny seeing a WRPG where the NPCs are predominantly black

Shame the area had to have the most boring landscape

Atomski

I want to go to Valenwood. The jungles will probably be amazing.

Plus Woodelves are my fav and they are so damned weird.

Silvawuff

Free to play online MMO. Every structure you enter, arrow you fire, or spell you cast will be a micro-transaction.

Seriously, I think they'll do something with changing time periods or something eventually. Wouldn't that be neat?

RedSwirl

It's going to be hilarious if/when Bethesda takes the series to a modern time or something similar or equivalent.

Skyrim is the only one of these games I've played, but to be perfectly honest, I've always been interested in what would happen if someone took a fantasy universe and advanced it to modern culture/technology but all the fantasy stuff still exists alongside it.

dokish

Banned
Honestly, the graveyard.

After Oblivion and Skyrim, I don't know how you can guys want more.

For me, is enough. Enough of bugs, patches, overpriced sh#$%, the same old thing over and over again, but with slightly better graphics.

:|

Razek

Banned
Honestly, the graveyard.

After Oblivion and Skyrim, I don't know how you can guys want more.

For me, is enough. Enough of bugs, patches, overpriced sh#$%, the same old thing over and over again, but with slightly better graphics.

:|

I'm pretty sure with the advent of next generation consoles and general long development time, they would probably [hopefully] switch engines and we would get something newer and more advanced.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Summerset and Valenwood. Let's get some real pirate shit going.

SteveWD40

Problem is it's now a commercial beast, still one of the best selling games on Steam, this brings expectations to keep it generic.

If The Hobbit is a success and it's a trilogy so will be around for ages, I would guess they will base it on the return of the Dwemner, so Dwarves can be all over the place, then they can market it with that. They have ruins in most regions as well.

hemtae

If The Hobbit is a success and it's a trilogy so will be around for ages, I would guess they will base it on the return of the Dwemner, so Dwarves can be all over the place, then they can market it with that. They have ruins in most regions as well.

Well Elder Scrolls Dwarves aren't like LotR dwarves so I doubt the Hobbit will have much effect on Elder Scrolls VI

Ordinator

Black Marsh with a heavy focus on survival.

A survival focus sounds really interesting.

Give me Valenwood or Black Marsh and make it feel alien. I loved the unfamiliar but believable atmosphere of Morrowind. It had a great mix of original fantasy (giant mushrooms, Telvanni tree-homes, Silt-striders) and familiar fantasy like Ebonheart and the Imperial garrisons. Morrowind's "world" felt truly unique, especially when compared to Oblivion.

SteveWD40

Well Elder Scrolls Dwarves aren't like LotR dwarves so I doubt the Hobbit will have much effect on Elder Scrolls VI

And Cyrodil is nothing like Middle Earth, but it didn't stop the Oblivion marketing using the films popularity, they also took Junge Rome and turned it generic.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A place with a quality battle system, decent art direction and no glitches.

Hammerfell

It'd be funny seeing a WRPG where the NPCs are predominantly black

Shame the area had to have the most boring landscape

Fallout 3 had quite a number of black NPCs iirc.

injurai

Banned
Summerset would make most sense with the Thalmor on the rise.

Combo game with Summerset and Valenwood, and allow piracy on the open seas.

Hammerfell. Bring in those next gen sand effects and darker, Diablo 2 esque atmosphere.

More importantly focus solely on combat and quality loot.

I would like to see Valenwood.

Specifically, I would like to see the Falinesti, which is this giant, sentient, walking oak-tree city of the Wood Elves. Imagine all the possibilities that a moving city could have, gameplay and story wise, if implemented correctly.

Also, as someone earlier pointed out, the Imga's, who sound fucking hilarious.

Valenwood seems to be beautiful, but mostly uncharted and with towns and landmarks sort of just laying where people feel like as opposed to being planned and purposeful. I dunno, it just seems like the kind of area where a focus on exploration...and less of a dependance on maps, would be very strong.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I vote desert environment with Pharaohs, mummies, and countless tombs.
Although I generally hate desert environments, I do love Egyptian stuff. My Elder Scrolls lore is not that vast so I can't remember if there is an Egyptian-like culture. This would be a cool change, although.

Top Bottom