• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's My Call of Cthulhu: Dreamlands Game?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm still surprised nobody has made a game based on the Mythos Dreamlands yet. It's the perfect combination of fantasy and cosmic horror.

In fact, entire supplements have been released talking about the Dreamlands and it's inhabitants.

Imagine exploring a portion of the land or the entire world that includes the official Lovecraft Mythos?

Not to mention that Focus and Chaosium we're supposed to have some kind of 10-year deal with each other for games based off the official Call of Cthulhu tabletop role playing game. I'm guessing after the first official Call of Cthulhu game it kind of fell through.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
It’d be expensive to do well.
It’s a fairly niche IP
What would the gameplay look like? How do you incorporate the cosmic horror aspect into standard ganing tropes? And how do you translate incomprehensible worlds into comprehensible game systems?
I think it’s doable (and, obviously, many games already incorporate a lot of these very elements in different ways and across wildly differing genres), but risky and with potential for very limited returns. Really hope someone tries it all the same.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It’d be expensive to do well.
It’s a fairly niche IP
What would the gameplay look like? How do you incorporate the cosmic horror aspect into standard ganing tropes? And how do you translate incomprehensible worlds into comprehensible game systems?
I think it’s doable (and, obviously, many games already incorporate a lot of these very elements in different ways and across wildly differing genres), but risky and with potential for very limited returns. Really hope someone tries it all the same.
Well, there's already a source book for the Dreamlands for the Call of Cthulhu tabletop game. It's actually a rather large book and goes into detail about the different cities and locations and even includes a map of both the upper Dreamlands and the underworld. They could just adapt it from that book but of course in much greater detail.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Imagine an Assassin's Creed: Mythos game where you have to dismantle lovecraftian cults before the Great Old Ones could be summoned. Journeying to the Dreamlands, flashback memories to Unknown Kadath, witnessing the doom that came to Sarnath, hell, you could just be a brain in a jar on its way to Pluto or trapped in a Yith mind transfer. The possibilities are ENDLESS as virtually all that shit is public domain at this point.

Top Bottom