• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are half the people at Disneyland “disabled”?

Macattk15

They likely aren't disabled, just fucking fat and lazy.

Granted I haven't been in a long time to Disney but one of my co workers goes every year and I know for certain his ass is in a scooter ... cause he's fat and lazy.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I'm in Florida, and I just want to point out that the obesity issue is a function of class and culture. (Although yes, overall America has a huge obesity problem.) I teach at a private school here (our annual tuition is about the same as a minimum wage worker's annual salary) and while we do have obese students, I'd say it's about 5% of our students (and parents), and they're still more 'regular obese' and not 'struggles to breathe' obese. I too am shocked when I go to Wal-Mart, the grocery store, etc.

Poor Americans don't get access to healthy food (meaning, real food costs a lot more here and the grocery stores in the nicer parts of town are going to get a higher % of the healthy food from distributors), don't have access to exercise equipment, and don't come from a culture that values those things.
I absolutely agree with this, and it sucks that a lot of Americans have had poor diet as a huge part of their childhood.

But if you’re an adult still scoffing down burgers and donuts on the daily and refusing to waddle further than the toilet, it’s kind of pathetic to just shrug and complain about your upbringing.

Have a word with yourself and fix up.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I absolutely agree with this, and it sucks that a lot of Americans have had poor diet as a huge part of their childhood.

But if you’re an adult still scoffing down burgers and donuts on the daily and refusing to waddle further than the toilet, it’s kind of pathetic to just shrug and complain about your upbringing.

I agree.

Also one part culture too.

Even if you just look at US culture, people looked and acted so much different way back. People seemed much fitter, prim and proper, polite etc.... and why not? When there's no TV yet and the only electric fun at home is sitting around playing a record or listen to the radio it seems pretty boring. So people seemed to get out more and hang out together. And what should that skew to? Looking better so people want to hang out with you and maybe you hook up and make out in the back seat of the car.

And what else skews to looking better? When you are pressured to wear nicer clothes. Now, fuck some places will let you wear sweatpants and sandals to work like you're slumming it on a Sunday afternoon. So if $10 Walmart dress code is allowed, who cares about looking good to fit a button shirt or guys traditionally wearing a suit and tie to the office or ladies wearing a nice dress. Slum it with body to match slummy clothes.

In one of the other threads recently about birth rates, some people brought up it's probably dropping lately due to high cost of living as well as people are more entertained on their own, so they dont really care about hooking up and having kids. If they have enough fun on their own eating and surfing the net or doing Fortnite all day then they likely wont give a shit about eating all day and looking healthy. No wonder there's that South Park meme with the fat PC guy at a desk. I dont think you got that type of guy in 1950 eating cheetos in front of an RCA radio all night.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Not surprising when the US has tons of buffets, giant food portions, cheap booze everywhere and rock bottom priced fast food deals. Watching US TV channels and the Taco Bell and McDonalds or bargain pizza ads shown with crazy deals are nuts.

When we've been in the US, we've been consistently surprised at how big the food portions were and that the waiting staff will bring you far, far, far too much food and then ask you if you want to take the leftovers with you. My experience is that this basically doesn't happen in other countries.

A few little moments from my trips: On one occasion we went to a pizza restaurant and ordered a pizza each, I can't remember the size description, but we didn't expect each pizza to comfortably be enough to feed 2 people or for the salad I ordered to be be enough to be at least a meal on it's own. So we were a couple with enough food for 5 or more people on the table. The waitress never even suggested that we might be over ordering. At another place my girlfriend ordered a Mac and Cheese starter and couldn't finish half of it before she was full. At another I ordered a tuna bagel. First bite into the bread, I couldn't believe that I was tasting bread that obviously had sugar in it.

The problems America has with food are so normalised that I wonder if they're possible to fix.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

That's a pretty surface level analysis of it. If it was easy to lose weight, there'd be no fat people at all. Nobody wants to be fat. I'd like my waist to be 2 inches smaller than it is, but that's proven difficult for me to achieve over the past couple of years, and I know the basics of nutrition, go to the gym and don't really eat fast food (I did have a doughnut yesterday though).

There'll be plenty of reasons that mean people find it difficult to manage their weight, be it economic, psychological or lifestyle (which could just mean working endless hours with no time to prepare food, and no availability of healthy food nearby).

I suspect that this won't get any better as a result of people being told they're pathetic and to fix up. It doesn't seem to have had a long history of success.

FeralEcho

Actual image of Disneyland....
GJIpRHJ.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
When I was in America 18 years ago, majority of the food they served was just all quantity and very little quality (quality meaning healthy products and vegetables). So yeah I guess that contributed to the intense horizontal growth of America.

Wonder if America will survive with a high quality and little quantity diet…

Lots a talk in this thread with zero understanding of how it actually works.

To get Disability Access Service at Disney parks you need to contact Disney at least two days before the start of your trip, do a live phonecall with a representative, and pick your initial rides.

The way it works is that you preregister for rides for each day of your visit and then when you are in that specific park that day you confirm which rides you want to ride and it gives you a return time, typically the average time of the standby line (so if the clock says 60 minute wait to ride Pirates you have a 60 minute wait) and you come back at your time and use the FastPass/Lightning Lane to get on the ride.

The idea is to help people who have a hard time standing/waiting in lines without letting them skip to the front to be fairer.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Lots a talk in this thread with zero understanding of how it actually works.

To get Disability Access Service at Disney parks you need to contact Disney at least two days before the start of your trip, do a live phonecall with a representative, and pick your initial rides.

The way it works is that you preregister for rides for each day of your visit and then when you are in that specific park that day you confirm which rides you want to ride and it gives you a return time, typically the average time of the standby line (so if the clock says 60 minute wait to ride Pirates you have a 60 minute wait) and you come back at your time and use the FastPass/Lightning Lane to get on the ride.

The idea is to help people who have a hard time standing/waiting in lines without letting them skip to the front to be fairer.

See, those are legit disability cases where Disney works with the family to ensure everyone has a good time.

The OP is mostly referring to the FLEETS of EVs, scooters, motorized wheelchairs, aka "rascals" that plague the parks these days, to the point where there are EV parking areas where once there were stroller docks. I think this is primarily based on A. the easy availability of these vehicles in the parks now and B. the (perhaps mistaken these days) assumption that being in an EV gets you priority access or line cutting.

Is walking all day in the parks on concrete a challenge for some? Sure. The solution ought to be GETTING INTO SHAPE, wearing proper footwear, taking breaks, doing half days, etc. NOT getting on a scooter as if that's a ride in and of itself, driving like a maniac, blocking corridors so you and your clan can all drive parallel to each other, and then getting indignant when someone calls you on your bullshit. It's definitely a problem.

I remember forums where folks were sharing weight loss tips (pro tip, cutting out soda worked for like 80% of them) prior to Hogwarts opening at Universal, because that ride had a (low?) rider weight of THREE HUNDRED POUNDS and a max belly circumference so the 5'2" folks especially had extreme difficultly fitting into the ride. Folks spent MONTHS dieting and exercising so they could ride that one ride. While I'm happy that some made progress, it took a THEME PARK RIDE for these folks to finally commit to weight loss????

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's a good ride, to be fair.
So is the Avatar flying horse riding one, another ride that the Pooh folks have issues with.

Personally, I think it's gonna be harder and harder to accomodate those folks as rides have to get more dynamic to compete. A slow moving boat or carriage ride just isn't gonna cut it these days.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So is the Avatar flying horse riding one, another ride that the Pooh folks have issues with.

Personally, I think it's gonna be harder and harder to accomodate those folks as rides have to get more dynamic to compete. A slow moving boat or carriage ride just isn't gonna cut it these days.

I haven't been on the Avatar one, when we went to universal (LA) it was a few years ago and mostly Hogwarts and Springfield. Would like to go back to one of their parks for Super Mario Land at some point. I haven't thought about the Hogwarts ride, I'm not a fan of Harry Potter, but it was definitely a great ride.

NinjaBoiX

That's a pretty surface level analysis of it. If it was easy to lose weight, there'd be no fat people at all. Nobody wants to be fat. I'd like my waist to be 2 inches smaller than it is, but that's proven difficult for me to achieve over the past couple of years, and I know the basics of nutrition, go to the gym and don't really eat fast food (I did have a doughnut yesterday though).

There'll be plenty of reasons that mean people find it difficult to manage their weight, be it economic, psychological or lifestyle (which could just mean working endless hours with no time to prepare food, and no availability of healthy food nearby).

I suspect that this won't get any better as a result of people being told they're pathetic and to fix up. It doesn't seem to have had a long history of success.
Don’t misunderstand me, if you’re trying but failing to lose weight, then of course you shouldn’t be subjected to ridicule. You should be encouraged and supported.

It’s the wasters that have just given up but refuse to take personal responsibility that irk me.

SirTerry-T

My stepson, God Bless his soul, had Deuchenne MD and so we were able to use thee disabled queues to "fastrack" through some of the waiting, however that doesn't make up for some of the hushed comments and dirty looks we, as a family had to endure from some able bodied people. My wife was reduced to tears on one occasion.

Disneyland Paris btw....never again.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Almost every other person at Disneyland is either in a wheelchair or an electric scooter. These people seem pretty normal to me. It sucks because real disabled people and me now have to wait even longer to get on the Star Wars ride.
Judging people based on how they appear is asinine to me. I’m so sorry you had to wait to get on a Star Wars ride because all of the people you mention aren’t “real disabled people”, for real OP? 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I’ll just leave this here. This thread is something else, and really a great view into what we’ve become as human beings being so judgmental with absolutely no knowledge of what we are talking about in any way. Wow 😂

I would like to add though, that people who legitimately fake being disabled in any way are scum. Figured I would add that before people get mad at me lol.
lTDwlft.png

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I’ll just leave this here. This thread is something else, and really a great view into what we’ve become as human beings being so judgmental with absolutely no knowledge of what we are talking about in any way. Wow 😂

I would like to add though, that people who legitimately fake being disabled in any way are scum. Figured I would add that before people get mad at me lol.
lTDwlft.png

Yeah, there are a lot of invisible disabilities people don't know about and thus remain ignorant of. It's sad. Judging people immediately ...

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Yeah, there are a lot of invisible disabilities people don't know about and thus remain ignorant of. It's sad. Judging people immediately ...
Yep, the world we live in unfortunately. Pretty sad seeing a thread about it here though, but I’ve been around Gaf long enough to know some of the small percentage of personalities here that are living that life, it’s all good. As always, I drop my two cents and leave it alone lol

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
A personal take ...

I was at E3 2013 and going to the Microsoft and EA conferences before the big show. They were right across the street from each other.

I was in line both times but my name being on the list of disable journalists, I was taken out of the line and through a different entrance where they had us sitting closer to the stage in our own section. I had a sign language interpreter and I wasn't the only one who was deaf... And the rest had crutches and wheelchairs. That was at the Microsoft event. At the EA event, I had my own reserved seat with an interpreter next to me... Not as close to the stage as Microsoft's was but I had that access to know what was being said.

A few years ago there was an epidemic of parents claiming their kids were autistic and couldn't stand in long lines. It became such a problem at Disneyland that they made it more difficult for people to game the system that way in that if a parent really did have a kid like that they'd have to go stand in a different line to get a specific pass and then go to the disabled line. People will always game the system and use social media for tips but Disney finds ways to make it difficult for them while still complying with ADA.
I'm autistic. I wait just like everyone else. Fuck special treatment. I just want to be treated as a normal dude.

I would only let a disabled kid skip the queue under the most extreme of circumstances. I went with my wife to an indoor theme park with a large group of special needs adults that she was working with at the time. We all waited in line like everyone else. The more your treated with equality, the better it is for your own self esteem and independency skills.

Just my take.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I visited walt disney when i was little and my parents and uncles make one of them sit on a wheelchair to avoid any line...

Not proud of the adults in this situation...but we managed to get a ride on everything in less than 3 days :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Hudo

Almost every other person at Disneyland is either in a wheelchair or an electric scooter. These people seem pretty normal to me. It sucks because real disabled people and me now have to wait even longer to get on the Star Wars ride.
They meet up after dark at Disneyland for some sick drifting competitions.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
the hoverounds and huge problem at any themepark. Im sorry but if you cannot walk you should stay home. little timmy will get over nanna not being there.

Susurrus

Do like Disney Japan where they have you sit near the handicap entrance for the duration of the ride's "estimated wait time" for your turn and see how many people magically walk again.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
This is the problem. The US government made a food pyramid that made carbs the most important, then went around telling people that meat and eggs will kill you. The sugar industry lobbied hard for the government to be nice to them where even now 100 grams of sugar per day is officially what a person should consume. Carbs are listed at 300 grams per day which is also too high.
I don't think the average "land whale" as referred to in this thread is paying close attention to the USDA dietary recommendations.

Top Bottom