• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why aren't there more GTA clones?

Grinchy

Banned
It's amazing when you go back to the days after the GTA3 launch and you see how many other companies tried to rip off the formula.

No one has been able to create open-world games as well as Rockstar. And it's remained true for over 15 years.

PooBone

Why don't more studios tackle GTA like sandbox games? Are they really that expensive to make?

GTA has always been very popular and GTA V raked in what - billions? Even if a "knock off" generated a fraction of that it'd be worthwhile.

Saints Row for me personally has been utter shit, but it did have a few iterations so it must have been profitable somewhat?

Sleeping Dogs, which I rate much higher than GTA V unfortunately didn't do too well from what I gather which is a big shame.

So is it the Rockstar name or what? You'd think every dev would want a crack at starting a billion dollar franchise... it puzzles me as to why at least Sony and MS haven't commissioned and heavily supported the development of a GTA rival, even though outside of GTA itself they don't seem to do that well.

GTA V has had the weakest game maybe so far yet the highest sales. The whole thing is a mystery :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Cyberpunk is basically a GTA clone.

yurinka

Because they are so fucking expensive to make and nobody else can afford to spend all these years with all these huge amount of people Rockstar spends on their GTA and RDR games.

GTAV has been an insane success that goes way beyond any other AAA game in gaming history including all other Rockstar games. So nobody has that money.

Last edited:

Calverz

With the cost of development rising you now need to sell millioms to break even. Too much risk. The gaming industry is entering the safe phase of games development. More pew pew and not enough new new.
I pray london studio is making a new getaway game but my head says its just another vr game unfortunately.

the only company that could do it might be ubisoft, i mean they do have the open world system to do it in, i just dont think nobody will ever put in as much as the creative team from rockstar games.

but i think if anyone try to take a bite @ GTA they going to have to put 9+ years of developement in.

amigastar

Probably it's hard to make a good game in this genre.
Even harder it is to make it with Style like Rockstar does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom