• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did the price of a Gamecube just increase in Canada?

S-Wind

Earlier this year Gamecubes were selling for $98 - $120, with Superstore (Loblaws for you Easterners) having the cheapest price of $98. Now Gamecubes are selling for $113 - $130. Even Superstore jacked up the price of a Gamecube.

What gives???

FightyF

Banned
I think it was just a promotion.

When I used to work at BB, according to the computer it costed the store $113 for each GC, so we lost $13 for each sold. Usually consoles are sold at retail cost. So going back to $120 seems reasonable.

They probably kept the promotion for a while since they wanted to sell an X amount and then stop it. Maybe they want to drop it officially to $99 this winter as well.

X amount meaning 2000 units of course. ZING.

I'm pretty sure that that was just a Superstore promotion, with everyone else responding to the competition. If I recall correctly, Cubes in any Canadian Wal-Mart (which is competition-proof when it wants to be) I went into were holidng right at $120, and never dropped then bounced upward again.

Of course, this is based on hazy memory...I wasn't exactly shopping for a Gamecube at the time.

S-Wind

puck1337 said:
Because they're selling it with SSBM and Viewtiful Joe 2?

No, I'm referring to the bare bones Gamecube.

The temporary promotion explanation sounds like the most likely answer. In that case, financially speaking, my girlfriend decided to get me a Gamecube at the right time.

Top Bottom