• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do so many white men turn to racism/sexism and ultimately fascism/neo-nazism?

dcll

Banned
What a click bait headline, if this was a why do so many insert other race and gender here stereotype I imagine that topic would be a different thing

TCKaos

If it is as you say, why is it that proximity is a...uh, market advantage for men, but the opposite for women? And on what do you base this?

Insofar as it's men that proposition women, and generally not the other way around, and because men have relatively broader standards than women when it comes to attractiveness. [1] [2]

Men are willing to date a larger pool of women than women are willing to date men, relatively speaking, at least when it comes to these avenues, which are becoming increasingly popular.

Such as it is with the globalization of a market, a wider pool of applicants means that businesses have more discretion in hiring practices. Again, this is wonderful for businesses, but terrible for workers. The information from my last post could be interpreted to mean that some 25% of millennial men are romantically and sexually disenfranchised versus only 5% of their women peers, and lord knows how many of them have that as a chronic issue, and who knows how that manifests in their psyche and self-image.

EDIT: or that is to say, in this analogy, why are men American Workers and women Foreign Interests?

In my analogy the average man is the labor/applicant, and women are the hiring businesses. When businesses have a larger pool of potential labor to choose from, they can more readily find potential applicants, and it's the same with how online dating has worked out. You've got guys who aren't bad, or might even be great, but can't get their foot in the door because businesses are looking for five years of experience and a degree for an entry level position. That fuels a shitload of resentment and can lead to serious developmental issues.

Suddenly these people fall into the crowd of fucking nuts assholes like /r/TheRedPill or /pol/ because they can sympathize with their smaller ideas ("Hey man, you're a good guy, and we understand the kind of pain you're going through!"), and through osmosis they get revealed to Milo, or Tucker Carlson, or pick up artistry. Suddenly black men are an obstacle to your self-esteem because they're stealing the white women and these decent white men are letting it happen in the name of inclusiveness, and women don't know what they want anymore, and maybe we should abolish no-fault divorce, because marriage only exists so that women can branch swing from Chad to Chad after they get off the cock carousel when they hit the wall in their 30s... and so on.

Afrodium

Banned
White supremacy is one thing but thinking that sexism, homophobia are somehow white exclusive issues is at least dillusional. Mentioning silicon Valley as an example is even more so.

Then we have some western european countries mentioned, many of which are most progressive in the world when it comes to rights... strange.

Nobody's talking about exclusivity though. "What's with the sharp increase in racist/homophobic/sexist/fascist views among white males recently?" is not the same question as "why are white men the only people who are racist/homophobic/sexist/fascist?"

brinstar

Nobody's talking about exclusivity though. "What's with the sharp increase in racist/homophobic/sexist/fascist views among white males recently?" is not the same question as "why are white men the only people who are racist/homophobic/sexist/fascist?"

I wish we could zap this post into everyone's brain forever

matt360

Engrained entitlement. It's that simple. When media, history, society bills you as the hero archetype, the type of person to always succeed, be praised and rewarded above all others and you don't get that, you turn to the idea that you've been denied it rather than the idea that you're the center of the universe is untrue. That's why these ideologies that peg them as specifically superior and powerful are so attractive. "When you are used to privilege, equality feels like oppression", is one of the truest most resonant statements ever uttered.

I think this is the answer. Entitlement is the key word. Obviously those in power feel entitled to keep it, and I feel like culturally, Americans in general are way more entitled than people in many other countries. It's the main reason why I left.

Cynar

Trust me, the only difference between white fascists and PoC fascists are that the former have easier access to the internet. Or are you seriously suggesting that only white people have the capacity to hate people different than them?
It's very concerning that people in here are thinking fascists can only be one colour when that ideology goes with any race if you look at history. It happens to be in the US currently there are fascists in both groups and it's very scary.

It's very concerning that people in here are thinking fascists can only be one colour when that ideology goes with any race if you look at history. It happens to be in the US currently there are fascists in both groups and it's very scary.

Come again?

What a click bait headline, if this was a why do so many insert other race and gender here stereotype I imagine that topic would be a different thing

Is white people being Nazis a stereotype I'm not aware of?

It happens to be in the US currently there are fascists in both groups and it's very scary.

Both groups? There's fascists in the fascists and the not-fascists?

D i Z

You absolutely know not a damned thing of what you speak.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's social backlash to the erosion of classic white male privilege.

Like how Trump is a retaliation of Obama, racism/sexism is the rejection of diversity and acceptance.

The "pendulum" exists for both society as well as politics.

giphy.gif

matthewuk

What gets me is that this "erosion of white male privilege" isn't even really a thing, except in the minds of those who see metaphorical signs of the devil in everything. Untill the law of the land restricts were I can sit there is nothing to see here.

Haly

What gets me is that this "erosion of white male privilege" isn't even really a thing, except in the minds of those who see metaphorical signs of the devil in everything. Untill the law of the land restricts were I can sit there is nothing to see here.

That's how privilege works unfortunately. Hell, being confronted about it is an affront to some of these people, like they think the only world that can and should exist is one where they're never challenged on the systematic advantages they enjoy as a social class, nor should they ever extend those advantages to less fortunate groups.

Chuckie

And now you basically have the point where we are faced with actual fascists heiling and talking about white supremacy or wearing fucking Hydra T-shirts. And this isn't just old white people, but young white dudes who work in the government, in companies, who you encounter every single day. You got people who hate-follow people on social media, in games culture, and even here on this tighly moderated forum!

Please tell me this isn't a fucking thing. Because that means I have to toss out my Hydra shirt.

Neith

Banned
I mean, I have no idea. None of the people of any color I hang around are like this at all. I suppose maybe a little sexist now and then. The worst I have known is some back home boys that talk like "country folks" in some ways, and even then they aren't really mean or anything. I guess I hang around the wrong peoples.

I don't know all the factors but lack of ethnic integration plays a role. It's usually those suburb type white boys who grew up in a white neighborhood. Growing up in a mixed neighborhood leads to less racism.

tearsofash

they just wanna feel loved and accepted and safe, just like anyone else. But it turns out their idea of safety would end up with a lot of people dead or in camps so that's definitely something they should work on

N7.Angel

Humans are racist/sexist by nature just like other animals. Men are the more aggressive gender so they seized power hundreds of thousands of years ago. White men are the majority in western society. If black (inserts any race) men were the dominant race in western society it would be the same end result.

Definitely this. Everyone's racist, just at different degree and with different race.

4Tran

That's how privilege works unfortunately. Hell, being confronted about it is an affront to some of these people, like they think the only world that can and should exist is one where they're never challenged on the systematic advantages they enjoy as a social class, nor should they ever extend those advantages to less fortunate groups.
Also, the idea that other groups are given privileges that they themselves do not directly benefit from is an attack on their individualism. This is where a lot of opposition to things like food stamps and public healthcare come from.

Definitely this. Everyone's racist, just at different degree and with different race.
I think that this is a bit overbroad, but it's at least somewhat truthful. It's really too bad that the word "racist" is so poisoned that we can't really discuss it at a reasonable level. As soon as you point out that something seems racist, it triggers an immediate defensive reaction. "I can't be racist because I'm not as bad as X or Y!"

The reality is that racism is a feeling, and while it may be an irrational one, it's not automatically some sort of evil thing. Racism comes in wildly varying degrees and it's better to talk about how to address it and how to deal with it.

Insofar as it's men that proposition women, and generally not the other way around, and because men have relatively broader standards than women when it comes to attractiveness. [1] [2]

Men are willing to date a larger pool of women than women are willing to date men, relatively speaking, at least when it comes to these avenues, which are becoming increasingly popular.

Such as it is with the globalization of a market, a wider pool of applicants means that businesses have more discretion in hiring practices. Again, this is wonderful for businesses, but terrible for workers. The information from my last post could be interpreted to mean that some 25% of millennial men are romantically and sexually disenfranchised versus only 5% of their women peers, and lord knows how many of them have that as a chronic issue, and who knows how that manifests in their psyche and self-image.

In my analogy the average man is the labor/applicant, and women are the hiring businesses. When businesses have a larger pool of potential labor to choose from, they can more readily find potential applicants, and it's the same with how online dating has worked out. You've got guys who aren't bad, or might even be great, but can't get their foot in the door because businesses are looking for five years of experience and a degree for an entry level position. That fuels a shitload of resentment and can lead to serious developmental issues.

Suddenly these people fall into the crowd of fucking nuts assholes like /r/TheRedPill or /pol/ because they can sympathize with their smaller ideas ("Hey man, you're a good guy, and we understand the kind of pain you're going through!"), and through osmosis they get revealed to Milo, or Tucker Carlson, or pick up artistry. Suddenly black men are an obstacle to your self-esteem because they're stealing the white women and these decent white men are letting it happen in the name of inclusiveness, and women don't know what they want anymore, and maybe we should abolish no-fault divorce, because marriage only exists so that women can branch swing from Chad to Chad after they get off the cock carousel when they hit the wall in their 30s... and so on.

I don't think it's so simple that 25% of men vs. 5% of women are "sexually disenfranchised." There's a lot of people in relationships who might feel sexually disenfranchised. There's a lot of people who have been in many relationships who might feel sexually disenfranchised. And in one of the sourced studies, while men did rate women's attractiveness more evenly, they ended up messaging primarily only women they rated as highly attractive.

Lack of sexual experience is not necessarily a disenfranchisement and sexual experience is not necessarily an enfranchisement...well, you know what I mean. Being an American/Western(white, middle+ class?) male who hasn't gotten laid by X age is not necessarily a uniquely punishing sentence.

While that kind of disenfranchisement and exclusion is a real and meaningful phenomenon, I do honestly think there is a tendency for a class of American/Western, white(especially) men to consider their lack of a perfect Hollywood storyboard of youthful and young adult sexual fulfillment to be an injustice almost beyond compare. And while their(our) experiences and lives are real and meaningful, they also need to come to terms with the fact that it's not necessarily the most meaningful thing in the fuckin universe, and step back as regular humans, as far back as we can, both as regular humans of this particular geography and culture, and regular humans of this particular time in history, and think about what's real and meaningful about being a human.

good, thoughtful posts btw, not trying to bait you or whatever

I reserve the right to pretend like I didn't mean any given portion of this once I'm sober.

Kill3r7

I think this is the answer. Entitlement is the key word. Obviously those in power feel entitled to keep it, and I feel like culturally, Americans in general are way more entitled than people in many other countries. It's the main reason why I left.

If Americans are entitled then why do we work harder/longer hours than just about any country in the planet? Why have we created a cutthroat society that has so few social safety nets and kicks you in the teeth if you are down? Where are all these entitlements?

The American dream is becoming harder and harder to achieve but I don't simply buy that our shortcomings come down to entitlement.

Fritz

Engrained entitlement. It's that simple. When media, history, society bills you as the hero archetype, the type of person to always succeed, be praised and rewarded above all others and you don't get that, you turn to the idea that you've been denied it rather than the idea that you're the center of the universe is untrue. That's why these ideologies that peg them as specifically superior and powerful are so attractive. "When you are used to privilege, equality feels like oppression", is one of the truest most resonant statements ever uttered.

I feel that that is the same place all terrorism comes from

Iksenpets

Banned
Because everyone is all talking about racism instead of the very, very serious problems in my white guy life. So you gradually transition from "yeah, racism, but what about my problems?" to "my problems are actually way worse than racism!" to "racism doesn't even exist!!" to foaming-at-the-mouth white nationalism.

ironmang

Because everyone is all talking about racism instead of the very, very serious problems in my white guy life. So you gradually transition from "yeah, racism, but what about my problems?" to "my problems are actually way worse than racism!" to "racism doesn't even exist!!" to foaming-at-the-mouth white nationalism.

Everybody cares more about their own problems since they have to live with them at all times. I think the issue is they're told "bu-but you have white male privilege!" as a response which isn't very different than telling someone with depression that at least they're *insert privilege* and expect them to not feel worse about themselves. Makes it easy for the real shitty people like nazis to recruit and exploit them.

Infinite

Everybody cares more about their own problems since they have to live with them at all times. I think the issue is they're told "bu-but you have white male privilege!" as a response which isn't very different than telling someone with depression that at least they're *insert privilege* and expect them to not feel worse about themselves. Makes it easy for the real shitty people like nazis to recruit and exploit them.

I never see this happen

ironmang

As a response to... What?

I worded that poorly. Meant that when they have their own problems but are told they basically won the lottery by being a white male then it might just make them feel not so great. That's how I and a lot of my white male friends take it at least. None of us have joined up with the nazis lol but a lot of us just direct those negative feelings inwards.

Peltz

I worded that poorly. Meant that when they have their own problems but are told they basically won the lottery by being a white male then it might just make them feel not so great. That's how I and a lot of my white male friends take it at least. None of us have joined up with the nazis lol but a lot of us just direct those negative feelings inwards.

But that doesn't mean you don't have privilege... I'm speaking as a white dude.

You may not have "won the lottery" but you do have some advantages that others simply don't.

Humans are prideful with a lot of ego. Whenever your species is confronted you get defensive and lash out. Regardless of power dynamics, this happens, it's just when a white person lashes out they enter their deepest, darkest void which is supremacy because they have been indoctrinated through many, many mediums to believe they are the best.

I think it's funny that people think straight men are more "sexually disenfranchised" than straight women when men are largely incapable of providing women with satisfying sexual encounters. At least when straight men do get laid they usually enjoy it lmao
of course the sexually disenfranchisement bs is a thinly veiled way to put the blame of male neo-nazism on women so this doesn't even matter

4Tran

Yeah, this is a key part of it. To be told that you're the "winners" without feeling like you've won anything makes it more likely that something has been deprived from you. What a lot of racists do is to attribute the blame on minority groups who seem to be more catered to while they're being ignored. And it leads to cognitive dissonance like having to live on food stamps and welfare while simultaneously claiming that they've never received any handouts. In a more empathetic society, this probably wouldn't be too bad, but that's definitely not where the US is right now.

Haly

I think it's funny that people think straight men are more "sexually disenfranchised" than straight women when men are largely incapable of providing women with satisfying sexual encounters. At least when straight men do get laid they usually enjoy it lmao
of course the sexually disenfranchisement bs is a thinly veiled way to put the blame of male neo-nazism on women so this doesn't even matter
Society: Women are at a disadvantage in the economy due to the power dynamic between the two sexes

Single, alt-right male: Well I’m not getting laid so this is fake news spread by (((Soros))) and SJWs.

matt360

If Americans are entitled then why do we work harder/longer hours than just about any country in the planet? Why have we created a cutthroat society that has so few social safety nets and kicks you in the teeth if you are down? Where are all these entitlements?

The American dream is becoming harder and harder to achieve but I don't simply buy that our shortcomings come down to entitlement.

https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS

There are plenty of countries that work longer hours than Americans. And I doubt anyone in the world loves talking about how much and how hard they work every single day as much as Americans do. Feel free to disagree, but I really feel like Americans are entitled as fuck, and it's an ugly characteristic. Just because they aren't actively receiving every entitlement doesn't mean they are not entitled. And Americans are certainly taught to fight for their entitlements, just look at how many commercials there are for law firms during every single commercial break. It's a sick society that puts those things at the forefront.

Top Bottom