• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do we give other studios trouble when it comes to remakes/remasters when Rockstar Games does almost the same with now GTA V?

Derktron

Banned
I don't know what to expect out of this thread but what the hell let me give it a shot. -- So I feel like we give Rockstar Games leverage when it comes to GTA V coming out again for next-generation for the fall. Maybe that is what I'm seeing but we should criticize Take-Two and Rockstar Games for once again bringing the game to next-gen and then charging full price for it. (If they charge the full price again). I understand money is money but for me, it has completely turned me off from liking anything related to Rockstar, and feel like we put them on a damn pedestal.

Does anyone feel the same about this or am I the only idiot thinking this?

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'm looking forward to play it - for free - on PS5. Can't wait to see how it plays with a new/updated engine on better hardware.

Banjo64

cumsessed
They’re greedy cunts and I see a lot of that sentiment online. I’d say GTA V has been milked more than Skyrim at this point. Embarrassing considering RS used to pump out great game after great game.

Derktron

Banned
They’re greedy cunts and I see a lot of that sentiment online. I’d say GTA V has been milked more than Skyrim at this point. Embarrassing considering RS used to pump out great game after great game.
That's what I'm saying, I see it pathetic that they are worth millions if not billions of dollars, and they can't seem to make a game. I mean the last game they ever made was Red Dead Redemption 2 and that was back in 2019. I don't know I hope from all the millions they got from milking GTA Online they make GTA 6 the most active and the most adaptive game yet.

Flutta

Banned
Because Rockstar has a huge fanbase. They will turn a blind eye to any wrong doing, in this case a masterclass in greed.

Rockstar have pretty much the worst microtransactionfest game of all games out there…but it’s a third party company…Sony is not

u should never bend your own users over

dcmk7

Banned
Tbh I find EA and what they do with FIFA and FUT much more offensive.

But I agree, Rockstar do seem to have a free pass around here.

Justin9mm

I'm looking forward to play it - for free - on PS5. Can't wait to see how it plays with a new/updated engine on better hardware.
You know it's just the GTA Online that is free on PS5, not the actual single player game right?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Who said anything about threads? I'm talking about the gaming community as a whole

How do you even begin to quantify "the gaming community"? Do you know how many people play video games? It's physically impossible to gauge every person's reaction beyond looking at sales figures, but what sales figures say often doesn't align with the general views a dedicated gaming forum might have.

So, using this board as a decent example/sample size, the guy's right, we've been making jokes about GTA V being dragged out onto new platforms for years now, same with Skyrim.

Not a fan of remakes/remasters that are younger than 15 years, because in my opinion 360/PS3 games look good enough. Who is actually the remaster/remake king? Sony or Nintendo?

Excess

Who said anything about threads? I'm talking about the gaming community as a whole
Rather than focusing on casual gamers, just take a look at the GTA community's sentiment. It's one of disgust.

Some of the more reputable GTA YouTuber's in the community, one's we consider trustworthy in terms of commentary, and not disingenuous grifters who use GTA to milk every last dollar in ad revenue, comes from the likes of GTAMen, Broughy1322, and Pyrerealm Gaming. These guys are diehard R* fans who have no qualms about criticizing the shoddy and greedy elements of GTA V and Online.

Omali

Why do most threads premised on "why is nobody talking about this" inevitably point to conversations that a lot of people are actually having? You need to have your finger on the pulse otherwise you're never going to find one.

GuinGuin

Banned
I love remasters/remakes. If the game is good why would I want to play a crappy ugly old version? Not buying gta though.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
So, you don't think threads are relevant for the community as whole, then you decided to make a thread about it?

About the thread, sometimes, one game is better than dozens others, and GTA certainly fit in this. Deal with it.

Armorian

Banned
As far as i know rockstar can go and fuck themselves. I liked vice city, completed iv and v but quality was much worse than before. Rdr2 is the only good game they released in the last decade and even in this title controls sucked ass.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, I don't care much about Rockstar these days.

Didn't enjoy GTAV or RDR2 as much as their previous games, and I really don't care about GTA Online which unfortuantely seems to be the future for the series.

To start with, there is no "we". The community isn't a hive mind. Some of you give some companies shit, and some of you don't. Some don't give companies shit.

There's a whole diversity of views and perspectives in the comminty.

OP if you want to point out hypocrisy, you can only really speak for yourself and your own. Don't project that onto the rest of us.

I don't know what to expect out of this thread but what the hell let me give it a shot. -- So I feel like we give Rockstar Games leverage when it comes to GTA V coming out again for next-generation for the fall. Maybe that is what I'm seeing but we should criticize Take-Two and Rockstar Games for once again bringing the game to next-gen and then charging full price for it. (If they charge the full price again). I understand money is money but for me, it has completely turned me off from liking anything related to Rockstar, and feel like we put them on a damn pedestal.

Does anyone feel the same about this or am I the only idiot thinking this?
No its understandable to feel that way, its been 8 years and this game will be re-releasing on its 3rd generation of consoles.

Also what makes it worst is they have not officially announced GTA 6 and this move indicates that we will not see GTA 6 for awhile.

Fbh

I'd imagine most people just don't bother complaining because they know GTAV is so big and massive they can basically do whatever the fuck they want and it will still sell great.
Personally I never picked up the Ps4 version nor do I have any plans to pick up the "next gen" version.

kiphalfton

Wasted potential.

Just imagine we could have had a "Ballad of Gay Tony" type expansion (i.e. quality single-player DLC) or even a new standalone game... but nope. I think RDR2 is the last original R* game we'll get for several more years.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
GTA V will soon be on the same amount of platforms as Assassin's Creed III & IV, but for this, Ubisoft isn't under the same amount of scrutiny as Rockstar.
Dragon's Dogma is on every platform that Skyrim's on, but only Skyrim gets memed about. Dragon's Dogma even received a standalone upgrade, for extra milking (whereas Skyrim's GOTY is no different from buying the base game + DLC).

The key difference I see here is that Bethesda and Rockstar's games are almost always extremely highly anticipated, with years spanning between each release. No one's bothered if Assassin's Creed gets ported to another console, because no one feels like it's delaying the next entry in the series.
Some people get pissy because they like to get pissy. But maybe the primary reason people speak out against these ports in particular is because they think it means putting a delay on new games from the developer.

GymWolf

What?! People always troll hard about gta5 being the new skyrim.

When they revealed the next gen version of gta5 at the sony conference there was not a single person happy of that in here.

Brofist

GTA V will soon be on the same amount of platforms as Assassin's Creed III & IV, but for this, Ubisoft isn't under the same amount of scrutiny as Rockstar.
Dragon's Dogma is on every platform that Skyrim's on, but only Skyrim gets memed about. Dragon's Dogma even received a standalone upgrade, for extra milking (whereas Skyrim's GOTY is no different from buying the base game + DLC).

The key difference I see here is that Bethesda and Rockstar's games are almost always extremely highly anticipated, with years spanning between each release. No one's bothered if Assassin's Creed gets ported to another console, because no one feels like it's delaying the next entry in the series.
Some people get pissy because they like to get pissy. But maybe the primary reason people speak out against these ports in particular is because they think it means putting a delay on new games from the developer.
I think the key difference is that we don't really care if they release GTAV on 100 platforms, if they were still releasing new games along with it. Ubisoft didn't stop at AC III.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I think the key difference is that we don't really care if they release GTAV on 100 platforms, if they were still releasing new games along with it. Ubisoft didn't stop at AC III.
Yes yes, this is what I'm saying.

They are definitely milking GTA 5 to death and it's funny to hear them critiquing certain business models when the way they have GTA 5 set up would be a stereotypical showcase for some of those business models, let alone the complete trainwreck of an E3 "conference" they had just a couple months ago (you thought I forgot? HA!). That much is clear as day.

IMO they're probably the most guilty of milking a property for multi-platform re-releases, regardless if there are performance enhancements or not. But it's not like some of us don't hold them to task for it; sadly the mainstream market just doesn't give a shit and will happily buy each new version on as many platforms it releases on. It's the ultimate result of iterative training and nigh indoctrinated, cult-like fandom every company dreams of achieving.

That's a big part of it. They've only had one release last gen that wasn't a port: Red Dead Redemption 2. Their business model is exactly the kind of thing WRT massive costs/production increases, thematic narrowing and homogenization in the AAA space that Shawn Layden's comments were directly in reference to.

Wasted potential.

Just imagine we could have had a "Ballad of Gay Tony" type expansion (i.e. quality single-player DLC) or even a new standalone game... but nope. I think RDR2 is the last original R* game we'll get for several more years.

At this rate GTA 6 will be their only new game for the entire decade. They don't care though as long as it sells 100s of millions of copies and hey, more power to them.

Unfortunately (IMO) that also means the mass market at large doesn't care, either.

Derktron

Banned
No its understandable to feel that way, its been 8 years and this game will be re-releasing on its 3rd generation of consoles.

Also what makes it worst is they have not officially announced GTA 6 and this move indicates that we will not see GTA 6 for awhile.
I mean I would not either if I had the common folk buying Shark Cards and still buying GTA V.

I'm profoundly hating Gta V being everywhere, even on microwaves, but the dreamer part of me think in gta v E&E we'll have new Missions, as well as San Fierro and Las Venturas, so... I give them the chance

W
They are definitely milking GTA 5 to death and it's funny to hear them critiquing certain business models when the way they have GTA 5 set up would be a stereotypical showcase for some of those business models, let alone the complete trainwreck of an E3 "conference" they had just a couple months ago (you thought I forgot? HA!). That much is clear as day.

IMO they're probably the most guilty of milking a property for multi-platform re-releases, regardless if there are performance enhancements or not. But it's not like some of us don't hold them to task for it; sadly the mainstream market just doesn't give a shit and will happily buy each new version on as many platforms it releases on. It's the ultimate result of iterative training and nigh indoctrinated, cult-like fandom every company dreams of achieving.

That's a big part of it. They've only had one release last gen that wasn't a port: Red Dead Redemption 2. Their business model is exactly the kind of thing WRT massive costs/production increases, thematic narrowing and homogenization in the AAA space that Shawn Layden's comments were directly in reference to.

At this rate GTA 6 will be their only new game for the entire decade. They don't care though as long as it sells 100s of millions of copies and hey, more power to them.

Unfortunately (IMO) that also means the mass market at large doesn't care, either.
People also forgot Capcom is milking re4 since 2004-05, and shows no absolute sign to ever stop

Not that I dislike that, I buy it everywhere lol

But I hate the importance Rockstar gives to that shitty, kid infested online

But is what made them earn billions, so...what can we do?

A.Romero

Personally, I don't care. If I don't like what they are doing I just don't buy it. Many people do so can't blame them for milking it. That's what they are supposed to do.

Three

Threads aren't a game community now? They complain. How is 2019 even that bad? Rares last game was in 2018 and they are sitting there collecting microtransaction money. Welcome to GaaS.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Who is "the gaming community"? Who is its spokesperson? Is it not us, among many others? Why are GAF threads (like this one we're in right now) disqualified?

Very strange.

Laptop1991

I agree, give me the 3d era over the gta v one anyday, they released new games often, ive completed gta v a few years ago and im only interested in a new one, gta online can still continue, i dont see why they cant make a new game aswell, well apart from the fact they dont have to or want to it seems.

Last edited:
Don't blame Rockstar. They have no choice. The game has been charting every month for a decade. If they ignore that, their investors should riot.

Plus, the fact that GTA V never went away as it has been making the charts the entire time, it doesn't feel the same. They are remastering an old game, they're just bringing a currently popular game to the new generation (again).

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I agree, give me the 3d era over the gta v one anyday, they released new games often,ive completed gta v a few years ago and im only interested in a new one, gta online can still continue, i dont see why they cant make a new game aswell, well apart from the fact they dont have to or want to it seems.

Theyre gonna drop a ps5/XSX SKU and its gonna dominate sales for the 3rd gen in a row . I’m with you, I played and enjoyed the single player and couldn’t give less of a shit about the game in 2021. But I understand why they’re doing what they’re doing.

Laptop1991

Theyre gonna drop a ps5/XSX SKU and its gonna dominate sales for the 3rd gen in a row . I’m with you, I played and enjoyed the single player and couldn’t give less of a shit about the game in 2021. But I understand why they’re doing what they’re doing.
Yeah all that money they still make

Kokoloko85

Its not even a remaster/ remake. Its like a PS5/Series X version of a PS4/X1 game that is originally a PS3/360 game lol.
They better not charge people for it that already have the game.

Plus Ive not interest in it.
Id rather have a RDR2 next gen port, 60fps.
Id be more excited for a GTA 4 remaster, or GTA 3,VC or SA remake. Rockstar is dead to me until they release something not GTA 5 related

Warablo

Why make a new game when they are making billions in shark cards with releasing sparse content throughout the year?

Top Bottom