• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Canada suck so much at winter sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

Banned
I just came to think about this. Besides icehockey you`re virtually non-existant on the sports-map. You certainly have the snow and environments to excel at it, yet I hardly ever see Canadians in ski-jumping, biathlon, cross country, alpine skiing, speed skating etc.

Hell, I see more americans in these sports than canadians, which I find strange. You would think Canada would be a major force in winter sports, but no.

Compared to the scandinavian countries, Russia, Germany and others that it`s logical to compare you with, why do you suck so much? You certainly doesn`t seem to excel at summer sports either so that`s no excuse. ;)

Jotaro

Banned
You know why we suck so much? Because our athletes need money, and the canadian government won't give enough.

I mean, most athletes, in minor sports, they would make more money being on welfare than being athletes! It's a shame when they have to say they don't know if their budget will allow them to participate next year. Fucking governments. :(

SickBoy

Here are a variety of reasons:

1) Development funding: Insufficient
2) Hockey culture: You gots ta play hockey! I think hockey pushes a lot of potential "other sport" talent to the sideline.
3) Population: small -- compared to nations like Germany, Russia, USA in particular
4) Large land mass: Travel issues make competitive sports a bit more of a problem. Since the '88 Olympics in Calgary, there has been sort of a centralized Olympic training ground, but unlike smaller countries, there are geographical issues that create a variety of issues:
a) Not all athletes can access the country's best training facilities/personnel
b) Not all athletes are able to compete at the highest level, even if they're capable.
c) Some sports (i.e.: downhill) are not easily accessible by large amounts of our population. People who don't live near the mountains are much less likely to learn to ski at a high level.
That's part of the reason why there are smaller nations that can do as well or better (i.e: Austria)

All that said, there are always a few standout Canadian athletes: Catriona Le May Doan in speedskating, for example, and there's some downhill guy whose name escapes me who's pretty good.

And it's not as though Canada has fared horribly at recent winter Olympics, finishing top-10 in medals every year since '88.

Gregory

Banned
Ah, ok. That makes sense. Here in Norway these sports gets a lot of money I believe. Except hockey. Most elite players here must also have full time jobs. Kinda like a reverse situation to yours it seems.

We still beat you in a world championship match 4-5 years ago though. ;)

But since Canada are gonna host the 2010 winter olympics I guess things will improve for you pretty soon.

Socreges

Banned
You certainly have the snow and environments to excel at it, yet I hardly ever see Canadians in ski-jumping, biathlon, cross country, alpine skiing, speed skating etc.
Haha, perish the thought. Let's dwell on why Canadians don't perform well in activities that are mind-numbingly boring!

During and after the 2002 Olympics, there was a big huff about the lack of funding. Couple that with the 2010 games looming and I think Canadians will get progressively better in certain events.

I'm more concerned personally with how poorly Canada does at soccer. Our development programs are SHIT.

Richiban

Gregory said:
But since Canada are gonna host the 2010 winter olympics I guess things will improve for you pretty soon.

HA!

We wish. Even the fact that we're hosting a set of Olympics won't pump money into our feeble athletics program.

Jotaro

Banned
Richiban said:
HA!

We wish. Even the fact that we're hosting a set of Olympics won't pump money into our feeble athletics program.

Exactly. Denis Coderre was a goddamn LIAR, and the governments are only looking for sympathy capital, and that means prestigious sports. The rest they can go to hell. Fucking shit government. :(

Myriam Bédard, who won two gold medals at Lilehammer in 1994, had loads of money issues. You win two gold medals at the Olympics (in not that of a minor sports), and because you're canadian you're still deep in debts, what the hell of a message that sends to the youth interested in sports! It seems now the way to make any kind of money with being a canadian athlete is to hope to become a tv show host or guest after you have won some medals and impressed the populace. That's how it works in Quebec anyway. I can't believe when I see it happening all the time! :(

android

Theoretical Magician
1994 Olympics g=3 s=6 b=4 T = 13 7 th place
1998 Olympics g=6 s=5 b=4 T = 15 4th place ahead of the US IN 5TH
2002 Olympics g=7 s=3 b=7 T = 17 4th place behind Us in 3rd

As far as more Americans that's about the stupidist thing I have ever heard. The United States has a population of 290 million while Canada has 32 million. That quite a bit bigger. And we beat them in medal count in 1998. As you can see by the medal total we only trail two to three countries in recent years. Granted we have a funding problem but we really have nothing to be ashamed of in the Winter Olympics.

I don't know but why are Jamaica so good?

cool_runnings.jpg

Socreges

Banned
android said:

As far as more Americans that's about the stupidist thing I have ever heard. The United States has a population of 290 million while Canada has 32 million. That quite a bit bigger. And we beat them in medal count in 1998. As you can see by the medal total we only trail two to three countries in recent years. Granted we have a funding problem but we really have nothing to be ashamed of in the Winter Olympics.
Hah, good post.

Shut yer Swedish face, Gregory.

Gregory

Banned
android said:

Well, Norway has only 4 million people yet we usually dominate winter olympics so.. ;)

But I`m not really talking about olympics, more about regular season winter sports. I watch tons of it but hardly ever see canadians, good ones atleast. I`m sure Canada, like USA, improves for the Olympics, but it seems like you vanish for the regular seasons and world championships.

Socreges

Banned
Gregory said:
Well, Norway has only 4 million people yet we usually dominate winter olympics so.. ;)

But I`m not really talking about olympics, more about regular season winter sports. I watch tons of it but hardly ever see canadians, good ones atleast. I`m sure Canada, like USA, improves for the Olympics, but it seems like you vanish for the regular seasons and world championships.
Oh. Well, not everyone enters those.

Shouldn't you be talking about olympics? Most everything else is a formality or training session.

Saturnman

Banned
Jotaro said:
Exactly. Denis Coderre was a goddamn LIAR, and the governments are only looking for sympathy capital, and that means prestigious sports. The rest they can go to hell. Fucking shit government. :(

Myriam Bédard, who won two gold medals at Lilehammer in 1994, had loads of money issues. You win two gold medals at the Olympics (in not that of a minor sports), and because you're canadian you're still deep in debts, what the hell of a message that sends to the youth interested in sports! It seems now the way to make any kind of money with being a canadian athlete is to hope to become a tv show host or guest after you have won some medals and impressed the populace. That's how it works in Quebec anyway. I can't believe when I see it happening all the time! :(

When it is all said and done, does it really matter to be good at any sports? Aside from some bragging rights in sports forums, does it make my life better that Canada won the silver medal in bobsleigh and a bronze in curling?

Saturnman said:
When it is all said and done, does it really matter to be good at any sports? Aside from some bragging rights in sports forums, does it make my life better that Canada won the silver medal in bobsleigh and a bronze in curling?
I suppose you could make a case that you're not likely to be considered to host the olympics unless you're a semi-successful country when it comes to olympic sports, but considering Canada is now one of only 4 (or 2, I can't remember which) countries to ever host the thing 3 different times, that doesn't exactly light a fire under our sports program.

android

Theoretical Magician
Saturnman said:
Exactly. I'd rather not fork huge portions of my wages over to some spoiled brat athlete just so they can come in third in the olympics. And in the end we will have enjoyed the economic benefits of two (three total) olympics come 2010, while Norway, has one in the last fifty years (two total). We may not win medals but we sure know how to win olympic bids. night :)

Mike Works said:
I suppose you could make a case that you're not likely to be considered to host the olympics unless you're a semi-successful country when it comes to olympic sports, but considering Canada is now one of only 4 (or 2, I can't remember which) countries to ever host the thing 3 different times, that doesn't exactly light a fire under our sports program.

The 2010 games will only be the second time the games have been held in Canada, which will tie you with Switzerland (1928 and '48), Norway ('52 and '94), Austria ('64, '74), what will be Italy ('56, and 2006) and, of all places, Japan, who held it in 72 as well as 98. France has had it three times, and the US has had it 4 times.

I am curious, how are the slopes in Japan, I would imagine they would be like New England, extremely icy and not very big, but I don't really know.

Shinobi

I assume he meant three times including the Montreal summer games in '76 (more on that later).

Jotaro said:
You know why we suck so much? Because our athletes need money, and the canadian government won't give enough.

I mean, most athletes, in minor sports, they would make more money being on welfare than being athletes! It's a shame when they have to say they don't know if their budget will allow them to participate next year. Fucking governments. :(

Well, who the hell says athletes should be getting a government handout? In the US it's 100% corporate funding. Much as America pisses me off these days, I'd say they're right on the money here. And their results speak for themselves. Of course it's a little easier when the corporate base is so much stronger, and I'm sure they get tax write offs for weeks for making such contributions. But I'd rather see that then having more money pumped into a team so a bunch of athletes can finish 12th in rowing , 7th in snowboarding, or 37th in walking.

I'm not against athletes being funded by the government mind you, at least in a small way. But the idea that there's an obligation for the taxpayer to fund them is simply stupid. If athletes can't live on what they're making, don't whine about it to me...either get corporate support, or get a real job like everyone else.

Like Saturnman said, my life isn't improved because some fencer got on the podium. Doesn't mean I won't watch or enjoy it, but at the end of the day I'm still gonna have bills to pay.

android said:
Exactly. I'd rather not fork huge portions of my wages over to some spoiled brat athlete just so they can come in third in the olympics. And in the end we will have enjoyed the economic benefits of two (three total) olympics come 2010, while Norway, has one in the last fifty years (two total). We may not win medals but we sure know how to win olympic bids. night :)

The '76 Olympics were a financial disaster that Montreal's still digging out from. And Toronto's gotten it's asses handed to them twice in Olympic bidding, though I'm happy as Gilligan over that. No fucking way do I want the summer games in this town. If it ever happens, I'm moving to Buffalo.

Winter games are different though...they're smaller, more concise, and you actually have a chance to make a couple of bucks if the organizational team is smart and not corrupt (though when you get into bed with the sporting mafia known as the IOC, you get up with fleas). But there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of making money off the summer games, despite what the bitch ass local politicians love to say about "economic impact" (nothing but bullshit term). Hopefully this city stays away from bidding for them in the future, but I doubt that'll happen.

Azih

and a bronze in curling?
Hey hey hey Saturnman. The world FEARS Canadian curlers. Canadian curlers would be insulted by a lousy bronze.

Also Shin, I can understand the hate for the Olympics and moving out of T.O if it happens, but... why the hell would you move to Buffalo?

calder

Maybe we should do what the Europeans did with their sports in the early 1900's, break them up into dozens of goofy subsections. As soon as we have 9 different hockey events (woo! we won gold in 20 minute mens hockey, 4on4 women's hockey, AND 6on6 non-timed hockey trials!) we'll be able to compete with alleged winter sports powerhouses like Norway. :lol

Seriously, look at where the medals for the winter sports powerhouses come from - it's quite often from a dozen events in what is actually just one sport. Australia has great success in swimming in the summer games, and lucky for them swimming is a sport that, based on tradition, gives out medals for dozens of sub-events. Same thing with Austria and alpine skiing, or the Netherlands and cycling, or Norway in... whatever it is they do well.

LakeEarth

calder said:
Maybe we should do what the Europeans did with their sports in the early 1900's, break them up into dozens of goofy subsections. As soon as we have 9 different hockey events (woo! we won gold in 20 minute mens hockey, 4on4 women's hockey, AND 6on6 non-timed hockey trials!) we'll be able to compete with alleged winter sports powerhouses like Norway. :lol

Seriously, look at where the medals for the winter sports powerhouses come from - it's quite often from a dozen events in what is actually just one sport. Australia has great success in swimming in the summer games, and lucky for them swimming is a sport that, based on tradition, gives out medals for dozens of sub-events. Same thing with Austria and alpine skiing, or the Netherlands and cycling, or Norway in... whatever it is they do well.

Excellent point. I think some events like in the All-Star events (like getting the four corner targets on a net) could work for the olympics, though who'd pay to watch that?

calder

Yeah, we should give out oly medals for hockey skill events. That way Iginla, Sakic and Lecavalier come back from the Turin games with like 4 medals each. ;)

And maybe create a few other medals for curling while we're at it. :D

ConfusingJazz said:
The 2010 games will only be the second time the games have been held in Canada, which will tie you with Switzerland (1928 and '48), Norway ('52 and '94), Austria ('64, '74), what will be Italy ('56, and 2006) and, of all places, Japan, who held it in 72 as well as 98. France has had it three times, and the US has had it 4 times.
Well gee, my math is pretty funny, so maybe you can help me out here...

1976 Montreal
+
1988 Calgary
+
2010 Vancouver
=

Well darn, we're just so bad at Olympic sports I can't even count right, I guess 1+1+1 = 2!

android

Theoretical Magician
calder said:
Yeah, we should give out oly medals for hockey skill events. That way Iginla, Sakic and Lecavalier come back from the Turin games with like 4 medals each. ;)

And maybe create a few other medals for curling while we're at it. :D

Best broom maintenance!

LakeEarth said:
Excellent point. I think some events like in the All-Star events (like getting the four corner targets on a net) could work for the olympics, though who'd pay to watch that?
If synchronized swimming is an olympic sport then you just try and tell me the breakaway contest isn't.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
they're saying that the NHL next year will probably use scabs, which should be a good equalizer for canada. teams like montreal, calgary and ottowa can just go around their city and recruit the best players there, and they'll still compete. But do you think Phoenix is gonna be hosting a good team? Fuck no.

Welcome back to Canada, Lord Stanley.

I dont buy the 'geography' argument as a reason for Canada to produce shitty athletes. Look at Russia... nobody has a shittier geographical terrain than they do, and they still continually produce some of the best athletes in the world, even in the midst of post-soviet evo/revolution.

LakeEarth

Mike Works said:
If synchronized swimming is an olympic sport then you just try and tell me the breakaway contest isn't.
And if figure skating's a sport then professional wrestling should be a sport.

How bout Thumb war championships? Is the olympic commitee reading this thread? This stuff is gold.

Shinobi

Mike Works said:

1976 Montreal
+
1988 Calgary
+
2010 Vancouver
=

Well darn, we're just so bad at Olympic sports I can't even count right, I guess 1+1+1 = 2!

I assume he meant the winter games.

SickBoy

whytemyke said:
I dont buy the 'geography' argument as a reason for Canada to produce shitty athletes. Look at Russia... nobody has a shittier geographical terrain than they do, and they still continually produce some of the best athletes in the world, even in the midst of post-soviet evo/revolution.

The geography issue is tied to population...

Russia is a poor example, because while it has a huge territory, almost 80% of its population (which totals around 145M) is concentrated on its European side, and the lion's share of those people live near its western border. Canada has some 30-32 million spread wide throughout the country. I'm guessing that there's better infrastructure and better competition for athletes (even at non-elite levels) simply due to high population densities.

Russia aside, geography also plays into individual sports. At most, some 7 million people live near Canada's only real world-class skiing. Then you've got bobsleigh/luge and other such events. Want to compete? Better be in or around Calgary.

These are real challenges that don't doom Canada to failure, but also aren't experienced by many strong winter sports nations.

All that said, if we're talking Olympics, Canada has been very competitive with Russia's production at the past two Winter Games.

In terms of summer athletes, you can bet with a larger population base (not to mention again, a fairly dense one), Russia will produce some of the world's best.

Mike Works said:

1976 Montreal
+
1988 Calgary
+
2010 Vancouver
=

Well, all I saw above me was talk about winter olympics, so I was naturally inclined to think you were talking only about them. If you want to include the summer olympics the US has 8 olympics, and France has 5, followed by Germany, Japan, Italy, and you guys with 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom