• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has Gran Turismo managed to maintain it's relevance on the market while Forza Motorsport is struggling?

SoraNoKuni

It's on PlayStation, PS games generally do better because the userbase actually cares for the games, and the devs respond.
(Just what I see around here In my eu based country)

Shut0wen

Turn10 fucked up when they started adding rpg bullshit into the game, forza 5, 6, 7 having a useless perk system, now this game lets you upgrade shitty cars the more you level up, i guess the real problem is GT is more of a sim then forza which is ashame because forza 4 is probably better then most of GT games

I loved the Forza Motorsport games on the original Xbox and 360 but, since the release of the first Forza Horizon on 360, I've always felt that was the more entertaining and fun game to play. Forza Motorsport now feels boring in comparison. No matter how much you spruce up the visuals or how many cars you add, you are still racing around bland real-life venues rather than fictional locations that can be made to look as gorgeous as possible plus you can be far more creative with the track designs, including off-road racing. I feel that console gamers want to play Horizon more than Motorsport these days and if they want a sim then they always have the F1 games from EA/Codemasters anyway. Also, having played the PC version of Forza Motorsport for around 10 hours now, I don't think the game offers anything substantial over the six year old Forza Motorsport 7. Yes, the graphics are better and it has (okay) ray-tracing but fundamentally it plays the same as prior games and actually ships with fewer tracks!

Last edited:
If Forza was on playstation, perhaps it could superseed GT. That or Xbox needs to sell more consoles.

Regardless, at this point I think both would benefit from direct competition on their respective platforms.

Gran Turismo 7 is a solid driving game but it isn't a great racing game in my opinion. The Career mode themed around a cafe is bizarre and too short, the AI is still weak and the menus are still a bit of a mess though mercifully they now at least load quicker than prior games. GT7 is also good in VR but I have always found Forza Motorsport to be a much better racing game with a superior career mode. GT7 does have awesome replays though and the graphics do look great but neither of those are what make a great racing game... well... great!

rolandss

It’s a few things to me that make GT special:

- GT games have unmatched character and quality. whether it’s the jazzy music in the menus, the little snippets of car history the games present, tracks like Goodwood, previous tie ins like the Top Gear track in GT6 (or was it 5?), the photomode etc. the games are always high quality products. One of my favourite things to do in GT7 is just get a great dream car or even my IRL car and which it in scapes mode. they release in a very polished state and there’s not many bugs.
- since GT5 there’s also been a long period of supporting games post release with continual content updates and tweaks, responding to the community.
- Driving physics have always been the best on console (collision physics not much though).
- if you’re into Japanese cars or car culture they’ve always had among the best selection of any game (although Forza is pretty good across the board here).
- as above same goes with real world tracks. Not just Suzuka, but Tsukuba, Fuji Speedway and Autopolis in GT7, and Motegi and others in past entries.

Last edited:
Top Bottom