• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why haven't Disney's TV Cartoons never showed up in Kingdom Hearts? And would you want them in KH III DLC?

Jubenhimer

Square Enix and Disney's Kingdom Hearts was a bizarre crossover for its time. Taking SquareSoft's edgy RPG gameplay, characters and stories, and combining them with Disney's well-known worlds and characters was an idea that on paper, shouldn't have worked. But after 2 PS2 entries, and several side-stories, the Final chapter in the Saga, Kingdom Hearts III released about a week ago after a long wait. The Disney side of the deal though, even up to this point, exclusively touched on the company's movies and Mickey Mouse Universe characters. There's one aspect of the Disney empire that's been unrepresented in all games, and that's the TV animation unit. With Disney being an equally big juggernaut in TV animation from DuckTales, to Recess, to Kim Possible, and Gravity Falls, you'd think plopping them into a KH game would be a no brainier. But strangely, that's never happened, even in what's supposed to be the grand finale for the series.

If we ever do get future Story DLC for KH III, would you want to see Disney's TV animation get representation?

Last edited:

Bakkus

That would be great. Sadly, I don't think those shows are (or were) very popular in Japan like all their movies are.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Possibly because of the continuity of the story that is very confusing for the public. Although it's not a bad idea, it's even great I would like a Kingdom Hearts miniseries made in Japan

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I'd say because the movies come out every 7 years, and a whole new generation gets to experience them. Meanwhile, no kids are going to know the Ducktails I grew up with, or Rescue rangers, or Tailspin, or Gummi Bears, or Darkwing Duck. And on the other hand, I don't know about or care about any Disney TV cartoons after those.

I didn't watch Recess, Kim Possible, or Gravity Falls. I watched Powerpuff Girls, Venture Brothers, and Archer.

Put THEM in the game! Okay, maybe not.

Jubenhimer

I'd say because the movies come out every 7 years, and a whole new generation gets to experience them. Meanwhile, no kids are going to know the Ducktails I grew up with, or Rescue rangers, or Tailspin, or Gummi Bears, or Darkwing Duck. And on the other hand, I don't know about or care about any Disney TV cartoons after those.

I didn't watch Recess, Kim Possible, or Gravity Falls. I watched Powerpuff Girls, Venture Brothers, and Archer.

Put THEM in the game! Okay, maybe not.

It also helps that Disney often re-runs these movies on all their networks, giving them continued exposure. Meanwhile, they almost never re-air a canceled cartoon years after its run.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
It also helps that Disney often re-runs these movies on all their networks, giving them continued exposure. Meanwhile, they almost never re-air a canceled cartoon years after its run.

Yep. There really should be a "Nick at Nite" type of programming block for older Disney cartoons, especially classic Mickey Mouse cartoons.

Jubenhimer

Yep. There really should be a "Nick at Nite" type of programming block for older Disney cartoons, especially classic Mickey Mouse cartoons.

What's crazy, is that Toon Disney began as an archive channel for canceled Disney Cartoons. That was until Jetix started eating up 80% of the network's schedule and the whole channel had to restart as the male oriented Disney XD. But even that didn't last long as Disney began putting all their cartoons, including female led ones like Star there instead of Disney Channel, before moving those same cartoons back to Disney Channel, leaving Disney XD in a state of limbo at the moment.

Perhaps they could use Disney + to bring back some of those older series.

Verdanth

Personally 2 of the worlds that I enjoyed most in KH3 were from films I didn't see. So I wouldn't mind having worlds / characters based on stuff that I really don't know so well.

The answer is rather a simple and sad one. To Disney, their television cartoons were meant to be forgotten. Don't get me wrong, many of them were excellent products with strong characterization, snappy writing, good stories, and decent quality to the animation. I grew up with these shows and then some.

However, to Disney, they are not what the company would consider "the franchise." Sure, DuckTales (1987) and (2017) feature the Duck family rather heavily and have very recognizable Disney characters in them like Donald, Uncle Scrooge, and Huey, Dewey, & Louie. But Disney does not seem to find these things bankable enough to carry the company, ironically. The television shows that Disney makes itself and/or acquires from outside are often very good. But they have a lifespan, and the harsh fact is that a TV series can alienate people who aren't familiar with it because, unlike a Disney Princess movie, it often has many different stories and characters, weaving itself over the life of the show. But hey, everyone's seen Frozen. And the film tells you everything you need to know about Anna and Elsa. There isn't going to be an issue where you haven't seen this particular episode of a long-reaching series and thus are unaware of vital information about a character.

Disney's TV series were meant to be consumed and then slowly fade into obscurity. Remember, most of the shows we're pining for pre-date the internet. The way fandom worked in the 80s and 90s is very different than today, people couldn't so easily share their love of things with one another. There were no forums and chat servers and the like.

As a cruel example to the way Disney handles movies versus television, consider the already aforementioned Star Butterfly. As dynamic and wonderful a character as she is, and despite being on Disney XD and Disney Channel, she will never be a Disney Princess. Why? It's a question of citizenship. Star is not "naturally born"--she was not created by Disney but rather purchased. Disney is happy to use her to front its channels and further its domination of family programming, along with its other hit shows, but there is never going to be a Disney Princess figure of Star. As it is note that the merchandising for very popular Disney shows like Star vs. The Forces Of Evil and Gravity Falls is very limited, because Disney doesn't want to draw too much attention away from Mickey and the rest of the "franchise."

All this said, I think worlds with some of these TV shows would be a wondrous thing, and I'd love to see them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:

PSFan

Not come across Final Fantasy Characters myself....even in curscenes of previous games. Have they took them out in 3?

Yes they did. And despite what OP said, KH has never been a crossover. SE characters were nothing more than cameos. Disney owns KH and all the characters like Kairi, Sora and Riku.

Yes they did. And despite what OP said, KH has never been a crossover. SE characters were nothing more than cameos. Disney owns KH and all the characters like Kairi, Sora and Riku.

Ah okay. It is weird without them though but hasn't stopped me enjoying the game! :)

Top Bottom