• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Activision and Microsoft Still Overdeveloping Their Games?

I want to be clear I don't care about any of these games out here, they are all ass to me. This is strictly a business pov on these games.

It's absolutely fucking retarded why a studio for example like 343 is still building a project like Halo that has a single player/multiplayer model; Why work on this model that's difficult as shit when you don't have to at all when you can just focus on specific models - that's a lot less pressure on your team, easier development, new ips for your portfolio to generate revenue ect.

Their competitors are not even using this model anymore.

Jinzo Prime

I want to be clear I don't care about any of these games out here, they are all ass to me. This is strictly a business pov on these games.

It's absolutely fucking retarded why a studio for example like 343 is still building a project like Halo that has a single player/multiplayer model; Why work on this model that's difficult as shit when you don't have to at all when you can just focus on specific models - that's a lot less pressure on your team, easier development, new ips for your portfolio to generate revenue ect.

Because the customer expects all the modes from the old game to be in the new one.

Kel9Ap.gif

Chukhopops

I’m pretty sure 343 stopped doing anything SP-related on Halo Infinite so there’s that.

To answer your question, back in the days pretty much every shooter had a SP and MP component, if one part was missing it was considered a flaw (e.g. Titanfall having barely any campaign).

aries_71

I’m pretty sure 343 stopped doing anything SP-related on Halo Infinite so there’s that.

To answer your question, back in the days pretty much every shooter had a SP and MP component, if one part was missing it was considered a flaw (e.g. Titanfall having barely any campaign).
You are probably right. Still, I believe the Halo MP day's boat already shipped and its too late for that. MP arenas aren't popular anymore. They should focus on Halo single player and leave it at that.

I also agree with the OP. MS is complicating things for themselves: that is also a sign of weakness. They are too afraid on what the market/press would say if they drop features from old games while focusing on others that are more modern.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

You are probably right. Still, I believe the Halo MP day's boat already shipped and its too late for that. MP arenas aren't popular anymore. They should focus on Halo single player and leave it at that.

I also agree with the OP. MS is complicating things for themselves: that is also a sign of weakness. They are too afraid on what the market/press would say if they drop features from old games while focusing on others that are more modern.
Do you remember what happened when 343 dropped split screen co-op in Halo Infinite? The drama!

It’s true though that Halo got a bit bloated feature wise and everyone wants something different (I miss Warzone Firefight from H5 for example).

Ozriel

M$FT

"their games"

Cites one game.

Yes, they are. Lol, what a weird thing to say. Even more absurd in Activision's case where their games dominate the competition.

feynoob

Because the customer expects all the modes from the old game to be in the new one.
This is why.
You can't satisfy everyone.

If you make a new mode, people will whine about the game not having old modes.. If you bring old modes, people will whine about how the game doesn't progress and is stuck in the old ways.

There is no win here.

j.k.2021

Banned

Because Halo fans will trash the game even if it misses a single mod and will deem it as incomplete.They are still living in past.

Last edited:
I remember that, that development model is god awfully bad business though. I’m a still use Microsoft and 343 as an example, they still believe you have to design a fucking game when you don’t have to at all; 343 can transition from the dumb hard Halo model and actually go build a new single player ip - focus on set pieces, production values and marketing, do not fucking try to design it and end up making your project way harder than it needs to be on the staff. The experience for the gamer is a lot more valuable than designing a game.

Woopah

Lots of games have single player and mutliplayer. That doesn't count as "overdeveloped".

Paltheos

I remember all the hullabaloo around Capcom's Street Fighter V not having an arcade mode. People were incensed over it. Meanwhile I'm thinking, "Oh, ok whatever. I mean this is chiefly a multiplayer game and we have online functionality now too so it's not like I need an arcade mode to feel like I got the most out of this retail game whenever my friends can't show up to play in-person."

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I only play the campaigns in Halo and for me at least, Infinite is one of my favorite Halo campaigns ever. It seems like the majority of the complaints are about lack of content in MP. Maybe they should split Halo into 2 separate games and studios, or once CoD is integrated into Xbox drop Halo MP and concentrate on single player campaigns only.

I only play the campaigns in Halo and for me at least, Infinite is one of my favorite Halo campaigns ever. It seems like the majority of the complaints are about lack of content in MP. Maybe they should split Halo into 2 separate games and studios, or once CoD is integrated into Xbox drop Halo MP and concentrate on single player campaigns only.
Removing the multiplayer from Halo is financially not a good idea to me.

I had to look at Activision and the developers to see what they are doing with COD and it’s fucking crazy, a straight masterclass. You’re talking about an enigma.. Even though COD is ass, they production and everything is another level. Lol my thread title is mad disrespectful to those teams, my fault.

Riky

$MSFT
Season 3 has basically righted the ship for Halo Infinite, it's in a very good state now.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Season 3 has basically righted the ship for Halo Infinite, it's in a very good state now.
Great news, I'm so glad to hear that. The campaign was fantastic and I'm just getting tired of all the whining about Infinite and how it's shit. It got a good score, won a ton of GotY awards including GAF's and a lot of people besides me loved the campaign so it's hardly a bad game.

Great news, I'm so glad to hear that. The campaign was fantastic and I'm just getting tired of all the whining about Infinite and how it's shit. It got a good score, won a ton of GotY awards including GAF's and a lot of people besides me loved the campaign so it's hardly a bad game.
I tried the demo or whatever for Infinite, but I never followed what happen with this game. I will not be surprised at all if this game got crushed because of lack of content with the multiplayer aspect of it. The old guard like me and some friends who use to be out busting these people asses in videogames are not the majority anymore in terms of what we expect from these games. Like I still see some old faces that are pros now in this shit, these people are just part of the package of that content. You will not survive if your team is not properly position for content when it comes to a multiplayer model in my opinion.

As somebody who hasn't given a shit about Halo MP since 2, my biggest problem with 343 is how they bury relevant plot points of their games in the expanded book series. I love the Halo novels, and have read most of them, they give the universe a much more fleshed out feel. Ever since Halo 4 though, the games don't make any fucking sense if you haven't read them. Who was the Ur-Didact, and the Librarian in Halo 4, and why should I care about them? Who was that Elite you're sent to assassinate in Halo 5, and why does he matter? The answer to these questions cannot be, "Well you have to read these 15 books, and you'll understand everything."

Storytelling doesn't fucking work like that, ask Squeenix how FF15 worked out.

StueyDuck

These modes existed prior. The issue is the fans expectations for these modes to always keep reinventing the wheel and changing things to become megalithic while still being old and being bigger with much more content.

I'll take my ps360 mp games any day over modern battle pass, mp bloat.

Member when games just had a death match mode slapped on, I played way more uncharted 2 online than I should have, and now look how tlou factions is turning out (essentially dead)

Last edited:
Top Bottom