• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is everything so tiny on Castlevania DS?

mollipen

Ranger X said:
You comparison is off.
The size of a character is always in relation with the screen that displays it. In this case here you only need to make the 2 screeshots the same size and put them side to side (the 2 screenshots needs to be "fullscreen screenshots" of course).

Uh.... that's exactly what I did. Did you read what I wrote? All I did after that was move the SotN shot down so that the two characters would be standing on the exact same level.

GaimeGuy said:
Uh, no it didn't. SotN ran EXTREMELY close to the DS' native resolution (something like 4 rows or 4 columns of pixels more.)

You're trying to tell me that SotN ran at 260x196? No way can that be right.

Ranger X

shidoshi said:
Uh.... that's exactly what I did. All I did after that was move the SotN shot down so that the two characters would be standing on the exact same level.

We are trying to know of the character is bigger in SOTN. A character that is bigger means it takes more place on the screen. This isn't related to resolution. In your pic there it looks like you're doing a resolution comparison.

mollipen

Okay, I re-read what I wrote, and I guess it could be a bit confusing.

I took the DS screen, and the SotN screen, and resized the SotN screen so that both were the exact same height. Thus, both screens would be of a proportion as if they were both being displayed on the exact same size of screen. I then cropped out Alucard and matched him up to the character from the DS screen, which shows that when both games are on the same size of screen, the characters are pretty much equal in on-screen size.

Has nothing at all to do with resolution, and I know exactly what was being asked. That's what I was showing, character size in proportion to screen size.

Ranger X

shidoshi said:
Has nothing at all to do with resolution, and I know exactly what was being asked. That's what I was showing, character size in proportion to screen size.

Ok so if those 2 screenshots are "fullscreen", how come the SOTN one is smaller? It's like you would put 2 different sized TVs side to side. This would mean that if the characters are the same size it means the character in the smallest TV is actually bigger. You get what i mean?

EDIT: your screenshots were the same size but you simply dragged down the SOTN a bit? The comparison would be fair then.

gimz

Panic_Attack said:
It's because the screen is so small.

Duh.

Bu bu but the 24x48 sprite looks bigger on my 32" TV vs this 3 inch screen!
"Everybody dick look big on 60-inch TV, my sister's dick look big on TV"
Mooj
quote from 40 Year Old Virgin

Cheerilee

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=819823&postcount=95
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=945843&postcount=214

CV SotN ran at 320X240.
The DS runs at 256X192.
The GBA ran at 240x160.

If you're going to compare screenshots, make sure they match those resolutions and haven't been resized.

Sprites that were re-used from SotN will look slightly larger on the DS.

Sprites that were re-used from AoS or any of the GBA games will look slightly smaller on the DS.

(This is assuming that your TV was far enough away and you're holding the GBA/DS at the right positions to have roughly the same viewing range, and it's not a "handhelds are too small for me" thing.)

madara said:
I know these are adored here and I am enjoying it but I was just wondering as new DS owner is this a hardware limitation or lack of effort on Konami's part? Models are so tiny and undetailed even compared to the old original snes CV4. This huge wolf looked cool until I killed it in one hit and it faded out weirdly. Some of enemies even lack the most basic fighting animations as well. I'm just curious if I need to get my expectations in order for this system or if konami is just keeping these lowkey and getting a new one out as fast as possible. I guess it has something to do with res on a portable making things smaller but just coming from NSMB the difference is quite apparent to me.

Its a DS man.. how big you expecting a side scroller to look on that size screen? :lol

I hear the game ****ing rocks though, i gotta try it out sometime

jarrod

Banned
loosus said:
Because despite what some people want you to believe, some of the sprites ARE indeed smaller in this game compared to older games.
May Dragona have mercy on your soul...

Ranger X

Who's Dragona??

I redid the screenshot comparison. The characters looks the same height or maybe Soma is tiny bit taller. And again, we are not speaking of pixel size. Even if Soma may use less pixel, he does look just as tall as Alucard. So well, since many ennemis are the same and many new ones are bigger than old Castlevania ennemi, we can say that no DOS doesn't look smaller.

CastlevaniaCompare.png

(i obviously pasted Soma right beside Alucard for better effect)

Gattsu25

Banned
Ranger X said:
Who's Dragona??

I redid the screenshot comparison. The characters looks the same height or maybe Soma is tiny bit taller. And again, we are not speaking of pixel size. Even if Soma may use less pixel, he does look just as tall as Alucard. So well, since many ennemis are the same and many new ones are bigger than old Castlevania ennemi, we can say that no DOS doesn't look smaller.

CastlevaniaCompare.png

(i obviously pasted Soma right beside Alucard for better effect)
Wow, the color pallet in SotN is so awesome...just judging by this comparison

Top Bottom