• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is nintendo skimping on gamedevelopment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

martino

BoTW 2 is a 2012 looking game releasing in 2022. This is why I can't take Nintendo seriously anymore. Just imagine how good the game could look on proper hardware.
2012 game but with combination of systemic designs 2021 ones will never have.
But maybe it's also because efforts have gone there instead of mostly assets and cinematics , just maybe.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
Because that way the can invest the minimum on games and sell them for $60 and never lower the price because is Nintendo. They can release whatever they want and still the Nintendo fans will buy it. They say if it has a good gameplay that´s enough. Sure a game needs a good gameplay and that´s more important than graphics but for example you invest in the game a sum of money that game worth is $30-40 to say a price and you still will make money why should i give you $60? Did you invest so much that for example Sony exclusives are $70 now but compare how much Sony invest or spend making GOW or Horizon to sell it at $60 or $70 and look how much Nintendo spend on their games. I don´t think Nintendo spend 1/4 of what Sony or MS spend making their exclusives.

Don´t know if my why of thinking is not the way to analyze it I'm not an expert or anything. If you have a business of course you want to make money and your company makes money i know that but Nintendo is more greedy or to much ambition than MS or Sony. Even if Sony will sell their exclusives at $70. Nintendo games don´t even lower their price never. Right now BOTW cost $46 on Amazon and it was released on 2017. Of course Nintendo will make more profit than MS or Sony that´s obvious. In conclusion low budget and high price the best business model. Low effort and high return.

Im not a stockholder, but a gamer.

Their lazyness, and low effort will bite in the long run. One of the reason they get a way with it is because they have built up trust with their fantastic games in the past.

They cannot live on that forever.

K' Dash

Metroid: Dread looks like a $20 nice indie game. Everyone was whining about Returnal costing $70, while I haven't seen anyone whining about $60 for Metroid: Dread. And the latter isn't likely going down in price like the former. I don't understand how people are fine with this.

Explain Slow Down GIF by TV Land

Metroid is actually good.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nintendo always skimps on effort when they're wildly successful.

Notice how a bulk of great games on Switch are Wii U titles? Lots of the 1st party Wii U game are fantastic cause Nintendo was on the ropes. Mario Odyssey shows it but that was in the early days of the Switch. Now that they're successful they can focus on profit rather than massive development budgets. It's the Wii all over again but now they actually have quality 3rd party support.

I don't get upset over it cause it's to be expected at this point, Nintendo has been going through this cycle for well over a decade.

NahaNago

BoTW 2 is a 2012 looking game releasing in 2022. This is why I can't take Nintendo seriously anymore. Just imagine how good the game could look on proper hardware.
It's not the hardware it's Nintendo. They want a cartoonish looking zelda that will look good 15 years from now that they can clean up and port to a new console just like with windwaker. From what I understand the switch is only a little bit weaker than the original xbox one and that system had some pretty looking games. swith 1 teraflop and xbox one I believe 1.3 teraflops.

I'm wondering now how Nintendo and the pokemon company are going to handle the move to 4k when they seem to be struggling with hd.

Shut0wen

No way Metroid: Dread looks like a $40 game. Cuphead was $20 at launch and it was fully and beautifully hand-drawn, and hand-drawing in a game can be quite costly. Even a superb game like Velocity 2X looked miles better and it cost $20 at launch. The only reason could be that the infamous "Nintendo Seal of Quality" has a price.

And by logic, if Metroid: Dread costs $60, how much BOTW2 should cost? $70? $80? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Can we actually put a price on a great game?
No way Metroid: Dread looks like a $40 game. Cuphead was $20 at launch and it was fully and beautifully hand-drawn, and hand-drawing in a game can be quite costly. Even a superb game like Velocity 2X looked miles better and it cost $20 at launch. The only reason could be that the infamous "Nintendo Seal of Quality" has a price.

And by logic, if Metroid: Dread costs $60, how much BOTW2 should cost? $70? $80? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I dont really get where your coming from with this, im sure everyone who brought and enjoyed cuphead would spent $60 on it, you cant really put a price on enjoyment bud

Zimmy68

With the announcement of metroid dread and the sequel to botw. It looks like nintendo is not investing in these titles like they did mario odyssey or the original botw. Metroid looks like a budget affair. And botw sequel seems to be reusing the assets from botw, and using some sort of day/night, moon cycle, ocean, sky world design to lessen the need for world creation and assets.

Both games look like lower effort games compared to what we saw earlier this gen.

And its not hardware that is limiting these games. Its ambition.

I wonder why?

Nintendo is doing great. Creating great ambitious software in major franchises cannot be that much of a risk. Although i rather see new ip. But lowering the effort for sure shot sequels seems weird.
Why? Because they don't need to.
They could release a warmed over plate of poop and the Nintendo fans would buy it in droves.
I honestly don't get it. I love my Switch but haven't touched it in months. How does Nintendo survive, heck, thrive?

Last edited:

scydrex

And that's a problem because...?

Because they will put the minimum effort on their games. Tell me Advance wars remake for $60? It´s is a good remake? No. It´s a full remake? No. Very low effort remake and still they will charge $60 for it. If Nintendo fans are happy with that well good for them. Don´t get me wrong i played and loved those games. So the games are good but charge $60 for old games with just a remake on the name and put a little effort? If it were an effort like the Shadow of the Colossus remake on PS4 or Demon Souls on PS5. I mean to make out the most of your hardware or effort to make an excellent remake then it would be worth the $60.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

It's not the hardware it's Nintendo. They want a cartoonish looking zelda that will look good 15 years from now that they can clean up and port to a new console just like with windwaker. From what I understand the switch is only a little bit weaker than the original xbox one and that system had some pretty looking games. swith 1 teraflop and xbox one I believe 1.3 teraflops.

I'm wondering now how Nintendo and the pokemon company are going to handle the move to 4k when they seem to be struggling with hd.
From what i undsrstand nintendo aint struggling with hd anymore, they struggled like fuck on the wii u, so far the switch is making a killing and so are there wii u titles coming to switch (which before they sold shit due to low wii u sales) people forget nintendo did this when the wii came out and let the shovelware and consoles sell while they chill and release afew games, yeah its shit i get why people are complaining but imo i see no problems with it since im picking up games i never played before

Plus i dont get why you have a problem with people lapping up remakes? Everyone lapped up remakes for crash and spyro, dont know how many times capcom has rereleased resident evil 4 in hd, we even got tony hawks afew months ago? Are you pissed at the wii u games getting rereleased on switch or sumit else?
Overlooking how Nintendo fans always liked to make out NCL were original. The contrast with Capcom is Capcom didn't look to charge full price for their HD remasters of the likes of Dragon's Dogma or the RE0/RE1/RE6 ports to the Xbox or PS4 and went the extra mile, with its remakes. MS doesn't look to charge at all for its HD upgrades these days. Nintendo on the other hand looks to charge full price for basic HS upgrades or even ports of the likes of Zela BOTW and Mario Kart 8 to the Switch

Like always Nintendo fans lap it up time and time again

That's right. But who would make that game (that takes advantage of current tech?) Not Nintendo, you can be certain of that. Their talent goes as far as their experience on the outdated tech they develop on.

Because Nintendo fans will continue to always eat up shit no matter how many times it gets pumped out with zero effort for the same price.

Just imagine for one second if Sony released GT1 just emulated the same iso as the 90s for another 60 bucks, if Microsoft did it with Halo.

And if you don’t know what either of those games are to imagine ask your girlfriends bull.
Spot on post #Respect

AJUMP23

Nintendo could charge it, and people would still pay it. I would pay $80 for the BoTW sequel. But I don't want Nintendo to know that.

brian0057

Banned
If it were an effort like the Shadow of the Colossus remake on PS4 or Demon Souls on PS5.

maxresdefault.jpg
Advance-Wars-12.jpg

I honestly wanna know in what world do you live in where a complete remake, with entirely new assets, sounds, and animations, is considered "low effort."
You don't think it's worth $60? Great. We're in agreement. I wasn't gonna buy it at that price either.

But what I won't do is call it "low effort" just because is not as graphically impressive as some other remake.
Especially one that's offering two games, fully remade, for the price of one.

Shut0wen

Overlooking how Nintendo fans always liked to make out NCL were original. The contrast with Capcom is Capcom didn't look to charge full price for their HD remasters of the likes of Dragon's Dogma or the RE0/RE1/RE6 ports to the Xbox or PS4 and went the extra mile, with its remakes. MS doesn't look to charge at all for its HD upgrades these days. Nintendo on the other hand looks to charge full price for basic HS upgrades or even ports of the likes of Zela BOTW and Mario Kart 8 to the Switch

Like always Nintendo fans lap it up time and time again
Well mario kart came out with all the dlc, tbh i never brought it, botw changed development to the switch as its main console, comparing both versions really shows that, but then again look at godfall on ps4 compared to it on ps5 i get where your coming from with capcom but im 100% positive dragons dogma for xbox one came out full price, but yeah i agree only difference with capcom is they sold them separately, playstation only remake i can think which they did a decent job was demon souls for ps5, the last ine they did which was medevil was god awful, id much rather they emulated the original then the remake they put out, yeah xbox is the best for it 100% agree but some games run worst then being played on the 360, if i was someone who has played all of the nintendo games that are getting rereleased for switch yeah id be pissed but i dont mind paying for them on the switch like as i said before some of those games are pretty expensive on there original hardware, plus i dont get why nintendo gets shit for it when sony when they do it are just as bad, last of us on the ps4 was full price as well

scydrex

maxresdefault.jpg
Advance-Wars-12.jpg

I honestly wanna know in what world do you live in where a complete remake, with entirely new assets, sounds, and animations, is considered "low effort."
You don't think it's worth $60? Great. We're in agreement. I wasn't gonna buy it at that price either.

But what I won't do is call it "low effort" just because is not as graphically impressive as some other remake.

No, I'm not saying is low effort because of the graphics. When the game come out we will see what they did with it. I will still not buy it because of the price.

Shut0wen

maxresdefault.jpg
Advance-Wars-12.jpg

100% agree with you on this, plus look at the prices people are selling the original advance wars for gameboy, lowest ive seen it is £40 i aint paying that for 1 game when i can get 2 games for £50

Elysion

Banned
It‘s pretty remarkable how much they‘ve relied on ports and remasters for the Switch. And the profit margins for most of their games must be pretty insane. I mean, how much money do they make from something like Mario Party or WarioWare compared to the development costs of these games?

I‘d like to think that much of their resources are spent on titles for the Switch successor, but it‘s just as likely that the output we‘ve seen from Nintendo is what we‘ll keep getting going forward. It‘s possible that they simply don‘t have enough manpower to keep releasing AAA games on a regular basis. And that is probably by design – after all, why do you think they keep making these huge profits every year? Nintendo has to be one of the most profitable companies in the world from a ROI standpoint.

If they really wanted to, they could easily expand their operations and pump out AAA games like other companies do (like Capcom for example, who managed to release RE7, RE2R, RE3R and RE8 pretty much back to back). But why would they, when they make so much more money than Capcom could ever dream of?

Well mario kart came out with all the dlc, tbh i never brought it, botw changed development to the switch as its main console, comparing both versions really shows that, but then again look at godfall on ps4 compared to it on ps5 i get where your coming from with capcom but im 100% positive dragons dogma for xbox one came out full price, but yeah i agree only difference with capcom is they sold them separately, playstation only remake i can think which they did a decent job was demon souls for ps5, the last ine they did which was medevil was god awful, id much rather they emulated the original then the remake they put out, yeah xbox is the best for it 100% agree but some games run worst then being played on the 360, if i was someone who has played all of the nintendo games that are getting rereleased for switch yeah id be pissed but i dont mind paying for them on the switch like as i said before some of those games are pretty expensive on there original hardware, plus i dont get why nintendo gets shit for it when sony when they do it are just as bad, last of us on the ps4 was full price as well

They were both full price ports of Wii U games. Nintendo more than most have their own users pay full price for the game they already own and have in their collection and also look to pretend they're original and creative; when its ever more sequels or ports

Their games are on par with previous efforts.

It's just that recently both Horizon revealed by MS and Sony had eye popping graphics.

Switch is feeling like long in the tooth.

Shut0wen

It‘s pretty remarkable how much they‘ve relied on ports and remasters for the Switch. And the profit margins for most of their games must be pretty insane. I mean, how much money do they make from something like Mario Party or WarioWare compared to the development costs of these games?

I‘d like to think that much of their resources are spent on titles for the Switch successor, but it‘s just as likely that the output we‘ve seen from Nintendo is what we‘ll keep getting going forward. It‘s possible that they simply don‘t have enough manpower to keep releasing AAA games on a regular basis. And that is probably by design – after all, why do you think they keep making these huge profits every year? Nintendo has to be one of the most profitable companies in the world from a ROI standpoint.

If they really wanted to, they could easily expand their operations and pump out AAA games like other companies do (like Capcom for example, who managed to release RE7, RE2R, RE3R and RE8 pretty much back to back). But why would they, when they make so much more money than Capcom could ever dream of?
Tbh i think nintendo has the man power to do this, look at the wii u it had hardly any third party support but nintendo were pumping out atleast 4 games a year, i remember reading an interview from them must of been 10 years ago in a magazine which an ex employer stated that when the wii was successful and nintendo wasnt making many exclusives at the time that they went back to the drawn board and were mostly experimenting and knowing how nintendo is to scared of changes is exactly what there doing at this moment, indie games are selling well just as every other one of there games is, look at the sales for animal crossing, nintendo dont even have to try at this moment, yeah its shit and i agree with everyone else but im happy were getting dread and skyward sword

Punished Miku

Gold Member
maxresdefault.jpg
Advance-Wars-12.jpg

It's a full remake for $30. The $60 game includes 2 full games, with new additional online modes.

Shut0wen

They were both full price ports of Wii U games. Nintendo more than most have their own users pay full price for the game they already own and have in their collection and also look to pretend they're original and creative; when its ever more sequels or ports
Mario kart was more or less a goty edition with all dlc, the others yes i agree i aint speaking on behalf of all nintendo fans but saying most of them rebuy the same game with literally no evidence at all, i have nieces and family friends whose children have been playing captain toad and donkey kong and other games that were out on the wii u and other consoles and i know for a fact its the first time these people have played these games, look at the wii wu sales of these said games and compare the to the switch ones, i bet you any money the switch ones sold more because its branched to a much broader audience who would of skipped these titles for numerous reasons, i aint defending nintendo for doing this, its making them money and costs near enough nothing to port these titles but to be mad at them and call out fans for buying them just makes you look like a prick, i dont get why your so mad at what others buy

NahaNago

From what i undsrstand nintendo aint struggling with hd anymore, they struggled like fuck on the wii u, so far the switch is making a killing and so are there wii u titles coming to switch (which before they sold shit due to low wii u sales) people forget nintendo did this when the wii came out and let the shovelware and consoles sell while they chill and release afew games, yeah its shit i get why people are complaining but imo i see no problems with it since im picking up games i never played before
Your probably right. I think what is throwing me off is that I want to be impressed graphically with what they could they pull off on the switch but it seems more like Capcom and Bethesda are the only ones doing that.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
With the announcement of metroid dread and the sequel to botw. It looks like nintendo is not investing in these titles like they did mario odyssey or the original botw. Metroid looks like a budget affair. And botw sequel seems to be reusing the assets from botw, and using some sort of day/night, moon cycle, ocean, sky world design to lessen the need for world creation and assets.

Both games look like lower effort games compared to what we saw earlier this gen.

I wonder why?

Nintendo is doing great. Creating great ambitious software in major franchises cannot be that much of a risk. Although i rather see new ip. But lowering the effort for sure shot sequels seems weird.
Its bacause they can... nintendo fans will buy anything ... nintendo its making gazilions doing hd ports and low efforts ips.. why put the effort ?... the fans will not stop buying their products no matter what.... they have a very addicted fanbase ... so.. they sell to them and they are ok with it...

Shut0wen

Your probably right. I think what is throwing me off is that I want to be impressed graphically with what they could they pull off on the switch but it seems more like Capcom and Bethesda are the only ones doing that.
I dont think we'll ever see anything graphically impressive on the switch from nintendo, ever since the wii they have been more interested in art over graphics but like one user mention its pretty genius because games like mario obysessey, botw, luigis mansion 3 and others in 15 years time will still look and feel very playable while games that launched on ps4 and xbox one even now look pretty dated

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus

I wonder why?

There is a big difference between "Nintendo doesn't make enough videogames" and "Nintendo doesn't make enough videogames that I want."

Shut0wen

Breath of the Wild 2 has a shot at being the best Zelda ever if they address the champions and have traditional dungeons instead of shrines, it’s a killer franchise and Link has always stepped on haters throats it’s why it’s one of the most respected games on Metacritic.
I agree with dungeons but i hope they add shrines as well, i didnt mind doing them haha

Its bacause they can... nintendo fans will buy anything ... nintendo its making gazilions doing hd ports and low efforts ips.. why put the effort ?... the fans will not stop buying their products no matter what.... they have a very addicted fanbase ... so.. they sell to them and they are ok with it...
This doesn't make sense.

Games like Mario Kart 8 are still shifting units years after release.

Why would "fans" wait years after release before picking up games?

Unless you think there is some small core of Nintendo fans buying 10 copies of consoles and some games bumping the numbers up?

Its beyond stupid to think the kind of numbers some of these games are getting and the ongoing console sales is simply down to "fans".

Somehow I don't think it's "fanboys" buying games and consoles 4 or 5 years after launch.

Breath of the Wild 2 has a shot at being the best Zelda ever if they address the champions and have traditional dungeons instead of shrines, it’s a killer franchise and Link has always stepped on haters throats it’s why it’s one of the most respected games on Metacritic.
They need to do both. Shrines and themed dungeons.

BotW gets away with it since it was largely a new type of Zelda game and the "mini dungeon" nature of the shrines was pretty cool.

For me they now need to do good themed dungeons like the older 3D Zeldas PLUS the new concept of having smaller shrines with a good mix of puzzles and combat challenges.

Shrines to up your hearts and stamina. Dungeons to beat bosses and pick up new abilities and items.

Shut0wen

This doesn't make sense.

Games like Mario Kart 8 are still shifting units years after release.

Why would "fans" wait years after release before picking up games?

Unless you think there is some small core of Nintendo fans buying 10 copies of consoles and some games bumping the numbers up?

Its beyond stupid to think the kind of numbers some of these games are getting and the ongoing console sales is simply down to "fans".

Somehow I don't think it's "fanboys" buying games and consoles 4 or 5 years after launch.
Pointless arguing to these people, ya give em facts but they just dont want to hear it lol

NahaNago

I dont think we'll ever see anything graphically impressive on the switch from nintendo, ever since the wii they have been more interested in art over graphics but like one user mention its pretty genius because games like mario obysessey, botw, luigis mansion 3 and others in 15 years time will still look and feel very playable while games that launched on ps4 and xbox one even now look pretty dated
Choosing art isn't that bad but the stuff they create is just so tame. Like I saw tons of indies during this E3 that looked far more interesting than half the stuff Nintendo is making. That metroid game looked so barebones graphically for a game coming from Nintendos' pockets. Pretty much metroid looked absolutely boring to me and the only interest I had in the game was simply because of the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom