• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn’t square interested in making their 16 bit library available on modern consoles?

Umbasaborne

Banned
It seems like the mana collection is an outlier. They’ve done a great job with the ps1 ports that are availible on xbox, playstation, and switch, but why the hell cant i play final fantasy IV, V, or VI? Or chrono trigger, mario rpg (ON SWITCH), or illusion of gaia, terranigma? These are some of the most influential rpg’s of all time, yet they are unplayable on the three major modern game consoles. The collection of mana and saga re releases have been great. Will we get more like that?

Last edited:

salamanderjuice

Neo Member
Give them time? They are all available on PC or mobile right now with the exception of Mario RPG for obvious reasons. If you really really need to play them now legally for some reason. Also I think a few are on New 3DS?

It's nice that they have been focusing on games that are NOT mainline Final Fantasy titles and Chrono Tirgger for a bit.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Give them time? They are all available on PC or mobile right now with the exception of Mario RPG for obvious reasons. If you really really need to play them now legally for some reason. Also I think a few are on New 3DS?

It's nice that they have been focusing on games that are NOT mainline Final Fantasy titles and Chrono Tirgger for a bit.
Like i dont understand why that newish steam port of chrono trigger wasn’t put on consoles? Are they tone deaf to the love and reputation that game still has?

only boomers play old games, we the new generation gamers prefer REALLLL games.
most games today are really shit. I still wouldn't be moved to play again a game I've finished long ago - life is too short to waste on doing the same things over and over. I'd rather want more new games like the classics were made, but instead using the amazing tech of today rather than trying to look like a retarded jaggie pixel mess from primitive times...

Last edited:

salamanderjuice

Neo Member
Like i dont understand why that newish steam port of chrono trigger wasn’t put on consoles? Are they tone deaf to the love and reputation that game still has?
Of course they're aware. The game has been ported to like 10 platforms. But does it absolutely have to be on every platform always? Pick it up on Steam or mobile or PSN if you still have a Vita/PSP/PS3.

The Steam version will probably be sold for a decade with no changes no problem. PS4/Xbox One will be forgotten by 2023.

I agree with you OP. We don’t ignore old movies, tv shows, music, or classic art because it’s old. Why shouldn’t modern video gaming provide access to these games to the masses. Not everyone is like me and collected these games and can play them on OG or FPGA hardware. This is why I’m a collector though.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I've got them all in one place, from old Atari to Amiga to Sega-CD and PC Engine CDROM² to even PC-FX.

20201027143026_rpi400-in-hand.jpg

Lethal01

Stop living in the past, be excited about XVI or XIV Endwalker if you’re into that.

Chrono Trigger is better though, so I wanna be able to play that on new consoles. Boxing was fun 30 years ago and it's fun today. Thinking you need to "move on" from things you love is silly. "Oh no I've loved by wife for two whole decades, it's time I grow up and move on"!!!

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’ve wondered the same thing a few times. It’s probably that they intend to make impressive re-imagined versions of a lot of these games when the time comes. FFVII Remake sold over 5 million plus copies and that’s only half of the game. Re-imagining games can bring classics to life and it’s highly profitable. Square Enix is sitting on tons of gold

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Would love a double pack of FF 6 & Chrono Trigger. Or maybe Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. Haven't played the latter so that would be awesome.

I most certainly would like a collection of Parasite Eve, Xenogears and Brave Fencer Musashi. They could put out physical editions of FF 7 - 9 so why not these?

Square is sitting on so many treasures its ridiculous. At least we are getting Legend of Mana in June. And we got Saga Frontier more recently so there is still hope.

Final Fantasy 6 is probably in my top 3 fave games all time so I hear you..but I remember a lot of people hated the mobile updates they did to those games and such. I agree with them just dumping emulated versions of the old games on consoles, I feel like Switch would be perfect for this

I've supported an bought the ones they have released though

Top Bottom