• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the hate for Bioshock Infinite?

It's meh and riddled with flaws. The only reason people liked it initially was because throwing anything Time Travel related twist is bound to get people to think they're having a mindblowing experience. Really. It's a thing, look at various fictional stories using time travel and you'll see people's awe at the concept. More so, it had even more flaws than the original Bioshock, which mostly saved itself as a mood piece and on its aesthetics alone, in order to avoid being mostly mediocre. That and while trying to act meta with Infinite, not realizing that it just doesn't work in bringing value to the game and doesn't really excuse trying to repeat a similar concept like in your first game.
It did have nice visuals though, but rarely was anything interesting done with the environments and the possibilities they had. So overall a disappointment. Probably a 5-6/10 game. Bioshock 1 is probably a 8/10.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The only reason people liked it initially was because throwing anything Time Travel related twist is bound to get people to think they're having a mindblowing experience
lol i thought i loved it because of the wonderfully detailed steampunk art design, the unique floating city in the sky setting, the fun combat, weird anachronistic song remakes, one man rollercoasters that encircle the floating city, etc...

nope, turns out i was dazzled because ive never seen a Time Travel story before! gawrsh!

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Other ps plus freebie impressions.

Darksiders 3. Fucking excellent. Might be my favorite in the series.

Dirt Rally 2.0 - looks beautiful, plays great ... looking forward to more. It’s not rallisport challenge awesome tho of course

Uncharted 4 - epic pile of shit. Controls suck. It’s linear and filled with scripted gameplay every 10 seconds I have no control over and the gunplay is the drizzling shits. Holy shit naughty dog fucking sucks. I don’t know why people spread their assholes for this shit. It plays horribly. Most overrated game developer of all time.

out of all the ps plus freebies recently... Bioshock, Darksiders and Shadow of the Colossus are my best picks.

Bioshock Infinite mops the floor with The Last of Us btw.

Last edited:
lol i thought i loved it because of the wonderful art design, unique setting, fun combat, weird anachronistic song remakes, one man rollercoasters that encircle the floating city, etc...

nope, turns out i was dazzled because ive never seen a Time Travel story before! gawrsh!

Bolded+underlined makes me chuckle. I guess some people have opinions like that.

The rest is just you liking the visual aspect and cultural nods. It's not a good showing of why it's a game to play. Sure, you might like it, but it's not a sign of the game being good. The claim that the setting is unique is also a bit dubious, though can be technically correct in the sense that just about any setting is unique if it doesn't have an exact equal. Floating cities definitely has tons of versions, heck, Baum's Sky Island from 1912 is such an example. Coincidentally that's also the year that Bioshock Infinite happens. Does having a unique setting qualify in itself for why something should be likable? Who knows? I do suspect that a person using that justification will not use it in a game they don't like, but which also has a supposedly unique setting.

Really, people eat up Time Travel plot twists like mad. Maybe you just loved walking around on Columbia and listening to Elizabeth chat as she pranced around. Until interrupted by the atrocious combat sequences. That might be enough for it to be a game you love. I mean, I love The Room. However, I do acknowledge that it's a shitty movie though with flaws up its arse and making very little sense.

BlueAlpaca

Uncharted 4 - epic pile of shit. Controls suck. It’s linear and filled with scripted gameplay every 10 seconds I have no control over and the gunplay is the drizzling shits. Holy shit naughty dog fucking sucks. I don’t know why people spread their assholes for this shit. It plays horribly. Most overrated game developer of all time.

Wow I didn't like Uncharted 4 but that's brutal. :messenger_smirking:

Did you try the multiplayer? It's a lot of fun.

Bankai

I thought it was great game, with fantastic voiceacting and great writing. Gameplay... wasn't always as strong unfortunately. I didn't like the vigors as much as I liked the plasmids. I really missed telekinesis and the vigors just didn't have the same impact on enemies, though the animations were cool as f*k. I used way more guns in Infinite than I did compared to Bioshock 1 and 2.

Also, the further into the game, the worse Bioshock Infinite got - except for the (great) ending. I hated the endless waves of enemies with the incoming airships, although it was pretty cool to zip around the ziplines.

At the end of the day, I think both Bioshock 1 and 2 (part 2 is WAY underrated, fantastic gameplay) are better than Inifinite. I would rate them: 10/9/8

SnapShot

Play it on harder difficulties you'll love it, exploration actually feels rewarding in those difficulties.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why we talk about it - looks like there is an ok sale on it right now pretty much eveywhere.
Not sure if I can post store links

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why we talk about it - looks like there is an ok sale on it right now pretty much eveywhere.
Not sure if I can post store links
We sorta get this thread every 4 to 6 months though.

Cycom

Banned
The fans of gameplay think the game is a downgrade from the nice and strategic combat of Bioshock 1. The fans of politics hate Infinite because panders to the centrism that is ripping our country apart.
lol @ combat being “strategic” in bioshock.
What centrism is “ripping our country apart?”

H4ze

I really enjoyed Infinite, never got why people tend to hate on it, its's a good game, nothing more, nothing less.

Top Bottom