• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why wasn't there a successor to the NEO-GEO ? (there was, but it failed)

camineet

Banned
Semantic Continuum said:
MAX 330 MEGA

Epic console, tragic destiny. But hey at least the last KOFs doesn't suck as much as the last Sonics.

it wasn't tragic at all. Neo-Geo outlasted ALL of the systems from the 16-bit era
(TurboGrafx, Genesis, SNES). It was around for 14 years, and had 12 years of strong support.

jarrod

Banned
Slightly OT, but it's too bad Taito never released the planned consumer version of their F3board. Ditto for Capcom cutting the CPS-Changer's life short (and not making it CPS2 spec from the outset)... NeoGeo proved that enthusiast consumer releases of AC tech could really work, I'd have really liked to see more companies follow suit.

camineet

Banned
robor said:
If they were to ever persue another hardware endeavor, I think handheld would be the best way to go as I believe the Neo Geo Pocket was their best creation. It would be nice to see this next gen 256-bit handheld successor actually happen.

the "256-bit generation" Neo-Geo would've been an arcade and perhaps a console system of the Xbox 360, PlayStation3 generation, not a handheld.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SNK made its last AES cart in 2003 (Samurai Spirits Zero). That's fucking amazing support.

IzumiK

Banned
~caresses Neo Geo and PC Engine multiple variants~

Yeah the reason why it failed was because no one wanted to buy the 200 dollar cartridges. Their attempts to make an affordable disc based console version didn't go well.

Afrikan

yori said:
Stupid comparison.

And so the lol at the one control port of the TG16... Have you ever heard about the multitap?

actually I have.... it was the only way to get multiplayer on the system.... with that being said... I believe it was foolish to only have one control port for the system...thus..the :lol

Its not crazy to try to compare these 2 systems.....I know the NeoGeo had the games...but they were both expensive...as well as being hyped as having way better graphics than the more affordable Nintendo and Sega offerings....

I can still remember Tommy Tallarico trying to persuade me to get the NeoGeo, even with its high price, on Electric Playground long ago....

some of you neo geo fans are real sensitive.... I apologize for trying to compare the Turbo Graphics 16 to the allll mighty Neo Geo.....

either way I would still rather have the TurboExpress over the NeoGeo pocket............as well as the NeoGeo and its overpriced games.....

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
IzumiK said:

Yeah the reason why it failed was because no one wanted to buy the 200 dollar cartridges. Their attempts to make an affordable disc based console version didn't go well.

Neo Geo failed? This is news to me. The console was created initially for hotel rental only. The console was later put on the market for collectors who wanted to own the games themselves.

The community is still thriving, with people buying games all the time. They supported the console and sold out on shipments for 15 years. That doesn't sound like failure to me.

But please, don't let me stop you from talking out of your ass.

Mamesj

Banned
Crateman said:
I mean, just look at the NEO GEO library. Yeah, I know they were pretty expensive, but it has quality titles across the board.

Pretty? I remember looking at the prices in the ads in EGM-- something like $150+ per game. I couldn't even have little kid dreams about my parents buying me the system. That wouldn't even qualify for the epic "This will be my Christmas, Hannukah, Easter, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, AND birthday present, plus I'll do extra jobs!" declaration. :lol

IzumiK

Banned
thetrin said:
Neo Geo failed? This is news to me. The console was created initially for hotel rental only. The console was later put on the market for collectors who wanted to own the games themselves.

The community is still thriving, with people buying games all the time. They supported the console and sold out on shipments for 15 years. That doesn't sound like failure to me.

Could you show me a game retailer that sold Neo Geo cartridges at that time? There was none for me. I had to get my relatives to special order them in Hong Kong then deliver them to me.

Dreamcast was actually at all retailers and it failed to extinction. SNK is dead because the Neo Geo idea was overly expensive for average consumers. People buying games all the time? Don't know if you're mixing up Neo Geo games with McDonald's fries but that's a huge lie.

And I have about 30 Neo Geo games myself so don't have to be overly fanboy against facts that SNK is now dead because of the Neo Geo's failure.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
thetrin said:

It's GAF bro. If it didn't sell in the kabillions, it's automatic fail.

Neo Experts, help me out on this one

I *swear* I saw a 3rd iteration of the Neo-Geo CD for sale in an import store in London. It wasn't the regular model or the CDZ, in fact I'm sure it had a 4x CD drive. I have never managed to find any info on such a model, though. Was I seeing things?

IzumiK

Banned
Kintaro said:
It's GAF bro. If it didn't sell in the kabillions, it's automatic fail.

In Neo Geo's case, they'd have trouble breaking 10 thousand not counting games used in their arcades.

Dalauz

Arthas said:
Buy a wii and play neo-geo games.
GTFO "weenie"

weenie.jpg

Argyle

IzumiK said:

:lol :lol :lol

Well, it is arcade hardware - and by that standard, perhaps the most successful arcade hardware of all time. But if you want to call it a "failure," I guess we can't stop you :)

IzumiK

Banned
Argyle said:
:lol :lol :lol

Well, it is arcade hardware - and by that standard, perhaps the most successful arcade hardware of all time. But if you want to call it a "failure," I guess we can't stop you :)

So when weren't we talking about the console?

And if you want to talk about successful arcade hardware, you should look at Bemani's arcades. If people are willing to churn out $1-2 bucks on 5 minutes of play vs being able to beat an hour long Neo Geo game on a quarter, Neo Geo is hardly a success machine against those arcades. Arcades actually still exist in my area and more people are playing Wangan Midnight, Bemani arcades while the Neo Geo are mostly desolate at times.

I'd like to pick up a stick of a logic here. Good games =/= success. I mean I would love it if Clover Studios good games were successful, but they're closed down for a reason. So take that stick of logic and knock yourself out with it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Technically you can say for what it's supposed to do and who it's supposed to be targetted at, how long it lasted, the NG is the most successul console ever.

I remember coming across this picture once. Really impressive and that's something I usually never feel when seeing someone else's collection. The fact that it is all NG related. Must've costed a fortune.

dionsbigpic.jpg

LAMBO

My friend's grandmother wanted to buy him a videogame, and for some reason she came home with a damn NEO-GEO!! We must have played that thing every day. We only had Sam Sho 1, baseball Stars, and a KOF game, but we played them for years and years.

I think that besides the ps2 it was my favorite console ever, and once emulation on pc happened i was lucky enough to try all those great games that i could never ever afford.

IzumiK

Banned
Kadey said:
Technically you can say for what it's supposed to do and who it's supposed to be targetted at, how long it lasted, the NG is the most successul console ever.

So Aston Martin is more successful than Toyota?

Aston Martin's are faster, well built, and more luxurious.
Aston Martin's are targeted at wealthier than average people at their price point for DB9 and DBS.
And Aston Martin's been around much longer than Toyota.

Take that analogy to heart.

Marketing success = success. Good game quality =/= success.
Cold, hard truth even for a Neo Geo fan like me. But I'm not that stupid to ignore why SNK bankrupted.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
IzumiK said:
So Aston Martin is more successful than Toyota?

Aston Martin's are faster, well built, and more luxurious.
Aston Martin's are targeted at wealthier than average people at their price point for DB9 and DBS.
And Aston Martin's been around much longer than Toyota.

Take that analogy to heart.

Marketing success = success. Good game quality =/= success.
Cold, hard truth even for a Neo Geo fan like me. But I'm not that stupid to ignore why SNK bankrupted.

I'm not talking about literally success if you care to know. If we're going to bring sales and all crap into it, of course it isn't going to sound as if but the main point here is, the NG is catered to a certain group and despite it's expensive pricing and lack of printed games going around, it still managed to do well and last as long as it did because you know, the games. The hardcore people kept it alive. People are still going gaga over the system till this day trying to own themselves an arcade cab or two and many collectors put it up there on their highest pedestal. You know, sometimes the success of a product doesn't mean the best for it's maker.

iidesuyo

I sold my SNES + entire library to buy a Neo Geo CD back in 1997... to this date I haven't met a person in real life who knew what a NG is :lol

I had a Playstation and Saturn, and buying KoF'95 Saturn really got me into 2D gaming again. Last Blade, Fatal Fury 3, SamShoRPG, Art of Fighting 3, Windjammers... the loading times were HORRIBLE but I have only nice memories.

robor

mr jones said:
Agreed. The joystick on it is the best digital controller on any handheld. Seriously. Better than PSP, better than DS, better than TurboExpress.

However, it would be very hard to see it become a success. Most of the great games for the NGPC are by SNK, and I don't think there's too many developers that would want to risk making a game for an unproven platform. SNK/Playmore would have to branch out, creating original titles that aren't fighting or side-scrolling shooting games (KOF or Metal Slug), and I don't know if they have the capital to be experimental like that anymore.

I have a Neo, and will always enjoy the games for it (I challenge ANYONE to Samurai Shodown II, bitches), but SNK's time has come and gone. They're not a big enough developer anymore to get into hardware.

Sad but true. The joystick is something all other hardware companies should take note of, especially Sony, their joystick is atrocious; more like a limp d-pad.

sk3tch said:
I lol'd.

neo-star.jpg

I lol'd again. That design is atrocious! Looks like a toaster oven!

I love me some SNK, though. I always wanted a NEO * GEO. Still do...

It looks like a mother ship and the disk tray is the docking bay with the controller preparing to land:

"Breaching docking bay, over" - Joypad

"Roger that, the slide door is open, you are clear for landing, over" - NEO STAR

camineet

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
You really need to stop classifying generations with bits.

I do realize bits have basicly zero meaning.

However I am only doing so to divide up SNK's unreleased (and 1 arcade-only) systems and because SNK used "64" and "128" for the arcade Hyper Neo Geo and unreleased
SNK Millennium systems respectively. Also SNK-Playmore president mentioned "256-bit" in his letter.

iidesuyo said:
I sold my SNES + entire library to buy a Neo Geo CD back in 1997... to this date I haven't met a person in real life who knew what a NG is :lol

Heh, that's funny because NEO-GEO was not that rare. The console version had a fairly widespread U.S. release (Babbage's carried them). It was around for over a decade. It's not as if Neo-Geo was some super obscure Japanese machine like the Sharp X68000, NEC SuperGrafx or FM Towns/FM Towns Marty :lol

OatmealMu

UnholySpectacle said:
You know the neo-geo.com store sells those right? You got a steal if you only spent $20. I bought a bare console, no sticks, for 80. I then spent around 100 bucks and made custom arcade sticks for it.

Funny thing is, I should've paid around $60 for the whole thing, but I misread the price. When the cashier asked me how much, I said $20 and there you have it.

It's tempting to pick up a power supply. I bet the joystick is great for MAME, too. I'll need to find a USB adapter for that.

test_account

XP-39C²
meppi said:
I believe so.

I have about 40 Japanese AES games for my Japanese system and never noticed anything being censored. Blood and bounciness in all that games that should have them.

But on the Samurai Spirits Zero thing (which I don't have), even I am wondering which version to get.
I absolutely have no idea what's considered the better deal for playing on an unmodded system. Samurai Spirits Zero or Special, the original release or the "fixed" one. :-/
Probably will end up with both the first and Special as well, but even after reading about the fixed games, I don't know what I should look for.

Ok, thanks for the info :) Hehe ye, the bouncing is nice ;) Was that also censored?
I have no idea about Samurai Spirit Zero, sorry :\

iidesuyo

camineet said:
Heh, that's funny because NEO-GEO was not that rare. The console version had a fairly widespread U.S. release (Babbage's carried them). It was around for over a decade. It's not as if Neo-Geo was some super obscure Japanese machine like the Sharp X68000, NEC SuperGrafx or FM Towns/FM Towns Marty :lol

It was pretty rare in Europe, from 1996 on SNK stopped advertising Neo Geo entirely. I actually bought the PAL version, since I had no clue about the 50Hz madness back then.

Argyle

IzumiK said:
So when weren't we talking about the console?

And if you want to talk about successful arcade hardware, you should look at Bemani's arcades. If people are willing to churn out $1-2 bucks on 5 minutes of play vs being able to beat an hour long Neo Geo game on a quarter, Neo Geo is hardly a success machine against those arcades. Arcades actually still exist in my area and more people are playing Wangan Midnight, Bemani arcades while the Neo Geo are mostly desolate at times.

We were talking about the Neo Geo. The first picture in the OP is a promotional flyer for the Neo Geo MVS, additionally the OP posted pictures of the arcade-only Hyper Neo Geo 64 which was the intended successor. When weren't we talking about the Neo Geo as a whole? Reading is fundamental.

Bemani is nothing but a pimple on Neo Geo's ass - the Neo Geo remained more or less unchanged for something like 15+ years with new games coming out on a regular basis. Think about that - someone who bought a Neo Geo cabinet in 1989 could buy new game cartridges for it in the 2000's - that's insane considering the half-life of most arcade hardware is measured in months, not years.

It's not like the Bemani hardware platforms have been static, either - they've upgraded the mainboards on all those machines many a time. As a game series, the Bemani games have been successful, but as hardware platforms, they simply do not compare to the Neo Geo.

In addition, even with a library that seems like it's all fighting games, it has a much more diverse library than the Bemani games which oddly all seem to all play the same. :)

IzumiK said:
I'd like to pick up a stick of a logic here. Good games =/= success. I mean I would love it if Clover Studios good games were successful, but they're closed down for a reason. So take that stick of logic and knock yourself out with it.

I'd like to take this "stick of a logic" and shove it up your ass - I have no idea what the hell you are talking about or what this has to do with anything I have posted? "Sticks of logic" don't change the fact that the Neo Geo is pretty much the most successful arcade platform in history.

Top Bottom