• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

will it be possible to buy and download dark souls 3 from japanese store (xbox/psn)?

bidguy

Banned
so the way xbox markerplace works is, you buy from whatever store you want, switch to your original store and it downloads the game in your original language

for example im from america, i preorder a game from the russian xbone store, switch back to the american store and when the game unlocks in russia, the xbone will actually let you download from the american store in your language

dark souls 3 is coming almost a month earlier in japan so i thought about using this method to buy it from the japanese store and let it unlock in the us store on march 24

anyone trying the same ? think itll work ?

im mainly curious if its gonna be in english lol

I did it last night. You need to get Japanese PSN cards. 40 days to go!

The voice acting will be in English but the text will be in Japanese.

duckroll

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but PSN accounts are locked to individual stores. You can't change your store region after an account has been created. You can create another account in another region and buy things that way, and on the PS3 and PS4 where multiple accounts are supported the other accounts can play a game tied to the same console, but that doesn't really solve your problem.

You can buy the JP version but you'll still have the JP version no matter what.

bidguy

Banned
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but PSN accounts are locked to individual stores. You can't change your store region after an account has been created. You can create another account in another region and buy things that way, and on the PS3 and PS4 where multiple accounts are supported the other accounts can play a game tied to the same console, but that doesn't really solve your problem.

You can buy the JP version but you'll still have the JP version no matter what.

i have no idea how it works on ps4 but on xbone you can change the store region whenever you want and even buy without any restrictions.

if i get a 50$ card for the american store, buy a game and switch to the german store, it will actually download from the german servers

duckroll

i have no idea how it works on ps4 but on xbone you can change the store region whenever you want and even buy without any restrictions.

if i get a 50$ card for the american store, buy a game and switch to the german store, it will actually download from the german servers

You can't do that on PSN. When you create an account, you pick a country and the account is tied to that forever.

Massa

Could you buy Dark Souls 3 in the US store (pre-order) and switch to the Japanese store to download it when it's released there?

Bsigg12

Could you buy Dark Souls 3 in the US store (pre-order) and switch the Japanese store to download it when it's released there?

No. You would have to buy it from the Japanese store to get it to unlock with the Japanese release date.

Zolbrod

My main account is Japanese, and I have a US sub-account, and I use that sub-account to buy stuff all the time. The opposite will also work.

But you'll need either a Japanese credit card or Japanese PSN cards to buy anything. PSN cards are region-locked, and you can't use US credit cards on a JP account.

Also, the game won't magically turn into English if you play it on your US account, so you'll have the language barrier to deal with. I can assure you there will be no English text in the game, but it's highly likely it'll be voiced in English at least, since all Soulsborne games have had English dialogue so far.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
This would work on Xbox sure, if the English version is up on the US servers.

I have doubts about that. I can't really think of any other reason for such a lengthy delay than the localization work being behind schedule.

Which sucks, because I live in Japan and am obviously a huge souls fan. Seeing this game on store shelves will kill me, but my Japanese isn't good enough. Sadly, the Hong Kong version is releasing the same day as the us version, so there's another option gone.

bidguy

Banned
Could you buy Dark Souls 3 in the US store (pre-order) and switch to the Japanese store to download it when it's released there?

no. the way it works is like this, you buy a game from a store (region) then the unlock time is tied to the region you bought it from

HYDE

Banned
Where can I preorder to get my imported Dark Souls 3 from Japan the quickest?

Language barrier is no worry of mine. Thanks in advance!

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Where can I preorder to get my imported Dark Souls 3 from Japan the quickest?

Language barrier is no worry of mine. Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind digital, that would obviously be the quickest by at least a few days.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game goes live for preload in the US a week or 2 before the Japanese release.

Well that remains to be seen. If it is fully available, that would just make the wait even worse.

bidguy

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if the game goes live for preload in the US a week or 2 before the Japanese release.

this is what im counting on. once the japanese pre order goes live ill buy it, switch to the us store and what till the pre load goes live.

since i bought it from the japanese store the game should pass the unlock check immediatly as soon as the pre load goes live

HYDE

Banned
If you don't mind digital, that would obviously be the quickest by at least a few days.

Oh thanks, forgot to clarify. Prefer physical.

I have 9 days off for Spring break, but I go back to work on the 11th of April, so I want to play and beat the game before then.

duckroll

One thing to consider for Xbox. The publisher for Dark Souls in Japan is From Software, while the publisher outside of Japan is Bandai Namco Games. This might result in the Japanese game being considered a totally different SKU rather than the unified one many Xbox games share. I don't know if this was the case with Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 though.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Oh thanks, forgot to clarify. Prefer physical.

I have 9 days off for Spring break, but I go back to work on the 11th of April, so I want to play and beat the game before then.

Well in that case, I'm afraid I can't be much help as I've gone all digital. Good luck. I may cave and buy a Japanese copy too.

One thing to consider for Xbox. The publisher for Dark Souls in Japan is From Software, while the publisher outside of Japan is Bandai Namco Games. This might result in the Japanese game being considered a totally different SKU rather than the unified one many Xbox games share. I don't know if this was the case with Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 though.

That's a very good point.

bidguy

Banned

oh yea that might be a problem. ill try anyways and report back here for people who are interested

I was going to buy a Japanese PSN card and create a Japanese account, download the game, etc. But it may be easier if I just change from region on the marketplace on xbox.

My 360 is Japanese and when I bought Dark Souls II, even though I bought the American version, the in-game text was entirely in Japanese without any option whatsoever to change that. Chances are that the physical Japanese version of DSIII may be in English as the American version of DSII included the Japanese text.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet but I'll be playing this game in march.

Random question... if I get the Japanese version on March 24 and then buy the NA version, will they interfere with each other some how? I assume they'll be treated as two separate games, but I thought I'd ask.

Random question... if I get the Japanese version on March 24 and then buy the NA version, will they interfere with each other some how? I assume they'll be treated as two separate games, but I thought I'd ask.

They'll be treated as two separate games, save files and DLC as well.

Cool. I think I'll do that then! No way I'll be able to wait 2 more weeks.

The Japanese version will have English voices with Japanese subtitles, and Japanese text for all the menus and item descriptions. If you don't read Japanese, you should be able to figure out the stats menu fairly easily. The kanji used for "STR," "END," etc should be the same from previous games and I'm sure there's a translated list online somewhere. However, you will be missing out on the item descriptions, and thus, some of the lore.

I actually bought the physical copy of JP Dark Souls when I was living in Japan, and played the hell out of that while waiting for the NA copy to arrive. It was good to get used to the controls and learn the areas. Once I got the NA copy, I was able to catch up on the lore and blaze through the starting zones.

The Japanese version will have English voices with Japanese subtitles, and Japanese text for all the menus and item descriptions. If you don't read Japanese, you should be able to figure out the stats menu fairly easily. The kanji used for "STR," "END," etc should be the same from previous games and I'm sure there's a translated list online somewhere. However, you will be missing out on the item descriptions, and thus, some of the lore.

I actually bought the physical copy of JP Dark Souls when I was living in Japan, and played the hell out of that while waiting for the NA copy to arrive. It was good to get used to the controls and learn the areas. Once I got the NA copy, I was able to catch up on the lore and blaze through the starting zones.

I can read Japanese (slowly) so no problem there. I'll probably do the same thing though... focus on the gameplay on the JP version and really dig into the lore on the NA version. I just know that if I wait for the NA release the chances of me accidentally seeing spoilers is high.

brawly

Hmm, I might just do this. I'm sure there will be menu translations within a day.

Would go for the Xbox One version though since it's easier.

Akito

I'm gonna hijack this thread since I'm also thinking of buying the Japanese PS4 version. Is there a cheaper way to buy digital Japanese PSN cards than from Play-Asia? I actually never bought anything of the Japanese store, are the prices that you can see final or will taxes be added at check out? Just to make sure that I buy the right amount of PSN credits.

bidguy

Banned
anybody tried this yet on xbox ? i just bought the japanese version on xbone and its downloading 17gb of data from the us store ... is the localization done already ?

Top Bottom