• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS ever add any video playback (without Media Center) to the Xbox 360?

Speevy

Banned
Just curious. Do you think they will? I don't think just one format would destroy their original connectivity vision, but I'd certainly like it. It just seems silly that they have photos and music but the videos are download only. arne?

Speevy

Banned
loosus said:
I don't have a 360 but...it doesn't already have this capability? Even PSP can do that.

Well like I said, it plays movies through Windows XP Media Center PCs, and you can download high definition movies to play.

You can't currently stick a USB flash drive into the machine and have it play back your WMV video though.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Exactly, I think that's an important function... it doesn't have to be some rogue codec like xvid or divx. Just wmv and mpeg support would be nice.

loosus

Banned
Speevy said:
Well like I said, it plays movies through Windows XP Media Center PCs, and you can download high definition movies to play.

You can't currently stick a USB flash drive into the machine and have it play back your WMV video though.
I understood what you said. I'm just a bit surprised that it doesn't have the native capability, because the hardware was made for that sorta thing.

sprocket

Banned
I never really gave the whole MEDIA CENTER thing much thought . But i hooked it up the other day and to my surprise there is alot of online streaming content you can watch of of it on your xbox 360 ! Pretty neat stuff .

-=DoAvl=-

sprocket said:
I never really gave the whole MEDIA CENTER thing much thought . But i hooked it up the other day and to my surprise there is alot of online streaming content you can watch of of it on your xbox 360 ! Pretty neat stuff .

for example...? :D

Safe Bet

Banned
I'm pretty sure Microsoft has repeatedly stated the 360 is an "add-on" to the PC, not a replacement...

360: no web browsing, no multi-media features, no allowing developers to use k/m controls in games, ect...

Striek

Probably not. MS has the 360 as their way to promote their vision of the digital lifestyle, much like Sony and the PS3.

I want both streaming capabilities (360) and local playback (PS3).

Vista - yes
Windows XP - probably not
Huh? I don't think he means streaming playback period, but local X360 HDD or USB device video playback.

djkimothy

If the PS3 comes with this capability I'm sure a Live update will change all this. But yah, it's strange that video playback was held back initially. I guess they didn't want to obviate the need of media PCs.

Safe Bet

Banned
Striek said:
Probably not. MS has the 360 as their way to promote their vision of the digital lifestyle...
So basically MS is saying you have to buy a Windows XP PC to enjoy their multi-media features but you have to buy a 360 to enjoy their games?

Wish I could get both in one box for ~$500. :(

arne

Speevy said:
Just curious. Do you think they will? I don't think just one format would destroy their original connectivity vision, but I'd certainly like it. It just seems silly that they have photos and music but the videos are download only. arne?

It definitely seems possible based on a recent update of WMP11 to beta 2, I remember people posting about it (http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/9/7/5220). However it doesn't work right now, but it says it does, so hopefully sometime in the future. the Windows Media group is outside of my sphere of folks I can easily get info from though.

Speevy

Banned
Safe Bet said:
360: no web browsing, no multi-media features, no allowing developers to use k/m controls in games, ect...

Well yeah, they're already everyone's OS. Sony's not gonna change that. I just want to play videos.

Speevy

Banned
arne said:
It definitely seems possible based on a recent update of WMP11 to beta 2, I remember people posting about it (http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/9/7/5220). However it doesn't work right now, but it says it does, so hopefully sometime in the future. the Windows Media group is outside of my sphere of folks I can easily get info from though.

Thanks. It just seems like something that wouldn't require much space or time to implement. Just one format would do it.

arne

Speevy said:
Thanks. It just seems like something that wouldn't require much space or time to implement. Just one format would do it.

Wanna bet a dollar WMV will be supported? :p

Raistlin

Safe Bet said:
So basically MS is saying you have to buy a Windows XP PC to enjoy their multi-media features but you have to buy a 360 to enjoy their games?

Wish I could get both in one box for ~$500. :(

MS has been promoting a client/server setup where a WMC acts as your server ... and then you use MCE components as clients.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Depends what PS3 does. If it doesn't have any streaming video, then MS will feel no need to compete and can continue their (IMO) stupidly stubborn attempt to get people to buy entirely new PCs just for video streaming.

If PS3 has network streaming, MS can probably flick a switch and enable it instantly.

I still hope it comes in the fall update - I don't think the WMP11 beta information was wrong - just badly timed.

tirant

Will Microsoft be able to fit all codecs and software needed to play avi/divx/wmv videos in just 4MB (ROM)?

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Since sony is so intent on pushing out linux, MS should really hit back with a cut down vista version for the 360. The 360 has everything a pc needs and to be honest it could make the 360 much more appealing as a media center.

I dont see why those bozos dont make a bigger hdd available and allow playback of various movie formats from the hdd and usb attachments.

You seriously have to wonder why MS dont get the message, dont they read the forums ? Dont they have brains ? Sony listened and what they proposed is kickass yet the operating system developer themselves cant even half match what the competitor is offering.

lix2k3

If they don't and PS3 has media server capabilities, I'll have to give sony's blu..I mean, vg console , a good look.

Juice

This thread incited me to get Media Center working on 360 with my Vista VM.

Okay, everyone go out and download the RC2 of Vista and then install it in a virtaul machine with bridged network connection and play with it. I'm really pretty impressed so far.

I've got Vista running under Parallels on my MacBook, it recognized the 360 as soon as I turned it on, and I set it up as a Media Center Extender (after a couple token MS-style failures) in about 20 minutes. When things load up on the 360 you get the fancy dancy screen and control to all your media (which I hot-linked to my Music and Movies directories on my MacBook and seems to work really well).

Looks like if I can squeeze out a bit nicer network performance whenever I move next year, this might be a stop gap to buying an iTV as it does mostly the same thing and is almost as cool. (Mind you, I don't have a cable card or ability to record TV.)

lix2k3

LOL@almost as cool...

I'm not trynig to offend any apple guys, and this is completely off-topic, but what exactly is the selling point of iTV? What are they promising that seems "cooler" than what you can do on media center?

FightyF

Banned
How do I stream media from my PC wirelessly onto my PSP?

Do I need to get the latest firmware update? I haven't updated in a year or so :p.

mollipen

This is one instance in which Sony is a far better solution than MS, thanks to them not trying to sell you a separate hardware/software solution like MS is doing with Media Center. There's no technical or logical reason why the 360 couldn't have been a great media box by itself, expect, of course, then you aren't buying Windows Media Center or Vista or whatever other junk.

Plus, isn't streaming video to a 360 still limited to WMV? Garbage.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
shidoshi said:
This is one instance in which Sony is a far better solution than MS, thanks to them not trying to sell you a separate hardware/software solution like MS is doing with Media Center. There's no technical or logical reason why the 360 couldn't have been a great media box by itself, expect, of course, then you aren't buying Windows Media Center or Vista or whatever other junk.

QFT - Sony makes it really easy, for example, to watch any video format you like on the PSP and even gives you a suite of powerful free software to do it.

I think.

Snookie

Well technically the 360 can only stream WMV, and mpeg 2 files, but if you install Transcode 360 on your MCE PC then you can play mpeg 4's/divx/h.264...etc just fine via the 360.

Also I believe WMP 11 is going to add support from streaming video.

Speevy said:

Yes . . . as soon as you buy their new OS 'Vista'!

Forget microtransactios, that is a macrotransaction.

Speevy

Banned
shidoshi said:

That's just sort of backwards. MS is THE solution for anything software-related, they just didn't spread the love to the Xbox 360.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Speevy said:
That's just sort of backwards. MS is THE solution for anything software-related, they just didn't spread the love to the Xbox 360.

And thats why those boneheads at Microsoft should be reading very carefully. PS3 with linux could very well be the begining of the end for windows.

Top Bottom