• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Nintendo Revolution be the GameCube successor after all, or not?

GigaDrive

Banned
http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=6712

News: Revolution 4th Product
By temp - Jul 6th 2004 21:01

Will the Nintendo Revolution be the GameCube successor after all, or not?

Earlier this week, Satoru Iwata told the Japanese press that, even when the Nintendo Revolution would be launched, Nintendo would still support the GameCube. He also hinted that the Nintendo Revolution would be released in Japan somewhere near the end of next year already.

Today, the newest edition of the popular magazine Nintendo Dream showed something odd. Nintendo more or less confirmed to the magazine that the Nintendo Revolution and the GameCube will co-exist.

Nintendo probably meant that the GameCube and the revolution will co-exist for a limited time, and that they will support both consoles at that time. If this is not the case, the gaming public (that's you) is facing four products from Nintendo: the GameCube, the Nintendo DS, the Game Boy Advance 2 and the Nintendo Revolution.

well I think GameCube will be around until 2008 so it will have to co-exist with Revolution for a few years.

Nintendo will basicly have 5 systems on the market at once.
GameCube
GBA / GBA SP
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Revolution
GBA successor

at least for awhile, until GBA SP and GameCube are discontinued probably sometime late in this decade.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think it'll be like the PS/PS2 thing. Games will still be released for the GC, but the main platform will be the revolution. The difference is, the first party will still be releasing games on the outdated system, as well. (Sony didn't release games for the PS1 when the PS2 came out, but several 3rd parties did. I expect Nintendo plans to have itself and 3rd parties continue supporting the GC after the revolution is out)

emerge

Of course it will be the GC successor as in the next home based Nintendo console and contender to Xenon/PS3. Still supporting a platform while introducing a new one has always been done, this is nothing new. PSOne production is only phasing out now. New SNES games were released in 1998. Big deal.

Kobun Heat said:
I'd imagine that the GBA/SP would be pretty well phased out by the time that Nintendo unveils *another* portable.
This best only be the case if they add in GB/GBC compatibility.

Auron

Revolution will be the GameCube successor, but Nintendo is doing its best to point out it will be "different" than other consoles. Many in the industry also believe the next consoles will start off slowly, so continued support for the GameCube makes sense.

JoshuaJSlone said:
This best only be the case if they add in GB/GBC compatibility.
I feel like it's not going to be much of an issue two or three years from now. It definitely was when the GBA was launched, mostly because of Pokemon. But in 2006? 2007? Is there going to be much hue and cry?

This is the only proper thing for Nintendo to say to not piss off the GC userbase (same as what they stated about the GBA->DS).

Barnimal

Banned
isnt one of the expansion ports on the GC really fast? revolution=32x type add on with the real successor being released in 2007 with the ps3.

MattCoz

Of course they're going to say that GameCube will live on for a few more years, they do still want people to buy the system afterall.

Barnimal said:
isnt one of the expansion ports on the GC really fast?
no

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
MattCoz said:
Of course they're going to say that GameCube will live on for a few more years, they do still want people to buy the system afterall.

But...but....NINTENDO DOESN'T LIE! :( :( :( :( :(

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I think there are some facts about the Revolution that people constantly get wrong, and this article, through insinuations, furthers these misconceptions. So:

1.) Cube-Europe is pretty stupid.
2.) The Revolution is the next home console from Nintendo. It is the successor to the GameCube just as the GameCube succeeded the N64.
3.) The Revolution is not coming out next year.

I'm sure Nintendo will try and have some decent GameCube support lined up for the transitional phase, but I wouldn't expect anything too significant from third-parties, since many of them are abandoning the machine now; I'd like to see their rationale for releasing games for it when the latest and greatest hardware is here.

Top Bottom