• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you be celebrating Midsummer?

With Midsummer almost upon us i was wondering who will be celebrating?

Its a huge deal here in Latvia as well as the rest of Eastern Europe and the Nordics, its even public holiday for us. It has its roots in paganism, our region of the world was only crusaded and forced into Christianity in the last 600-700 years

We in Latvia call it Jāņi, most people leave the cities and go to the country side, we celebrate with lots of food, beer and dancing. We will get dressed up in traditional clothes, wear flowers and leaves in our hair and spend the time with out family and friends.

I will jump over the fire for all of you who can not and drink as much beer as i can!

LIGO!

This video goes into a little detail about it

O-N-E

q4HSjgr.png

DESTROYA

Nope

It’s like asking someone outside the USA if they celebrate the 4th of July

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
That movie was strange as fuck for me and my wife to watch, at midsummer most people just want to have sex outside and not kill people :D

Wasn't it a mixture of several different ancient midsommar practices? I'd imagine it was surreal for you watching it and picking which ones you celebrate and don't.

Are there any Midsommars that would uhhh Welcoming to outsiders? After this I wanna take a couple real vacations considering my last two were both cancelled.

Wasn't it a mixture of several different ancient midsommar practices? I'd imagine it was surreal for you watching it and picking which ones you celebrate and don't.

Are there any Midsommars that would uhhh Welcoming to outsiders? After this I wanna take a couple real vacations considering my last two were both cancelled.

There was a lot in the movie that was incredibly familiar to us, the dressing up, the eating together, the flower crowns, the dancing.

The drugs no, other than beer its not a common thing here.

About outsiders we would not say no to people but it would have to be more like the movie in that people are invited. Jani here isnt a celebration with government events, its more like ok uncle Andris has a farm, the family will meet there, invite friends if you like. For the real Jani/midsummer feel you would really need to be invited to a family party.

This is not true for everyone here of course but many people either have country houses or family with country houses, its almost enforced culturally that if you have the land or field then you must host your family for the celebration then you do. Most common is it moves between family members each year because family or not, there is always less people to help clean up the next day then there were to help celebrate

GymWolf

I don't have my bear costume and my friends told me to find other people for the sacrifice thing so i guess this year i'm gonna miss the celebration.

Cutty Flam

Banned
With Midsummer almost upon us i was wondering who will be celebrating?

Its a huge deal here in Latvia as well as the rest of Eastern Europe and the Nordics, its even public holiday for us. It has its roots in paganism, our region of the world was only crusaded and forced into Christianity in the last 600-700 years

We in Latvia call it Jāņi, most people leave the cities and go to the country side, we celebrate with lots of food, beer and dancing. We will get dressed up in traditional clothes, wear flowers and leaves in our hair and spend the time with out family and friends.

I will jump over the fire for all of you who can not and drink as much beer as i can!

LIGO!

This video goes into a little detail about it

First vid reminds me of The Wicker Man with Nicolas Cage

Liljagare

Yeah, celebrated Midsummers Eve last week.. :) tons of good food and drink, due to corona, no guests though.

Was a awesome night, tropical temperature so we stayed up until the sun rose, at 0330.. :p

Top Bottom