• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witchrfire Releases in Early Access September 20, 2023 | Summer Game Fest

Draugoth

Gold Member
FyH7lXsaIAE2Jwt

Dark fantasy roguelite first-person shooter Witchfire will launch in Early Access for PC via Epic Games Store on September 20, developer The Astronauts announced.

Here is a brief overview of the game, via The Astronauts:

Witchfire is a first-person shooter set in a grimdark fantasy world in which a deadly war rages between powerful witches and the Church. In this alternate reality, witches are very real and very dangerous— but so is the witch hunter, also known as a preyer. Armed by Vatican sorcerers, players wield an ungodly array of guns and forbidden magic as they combat dark terrors on behalf of their shadowy benefactors.
Speaking to EPic Games News, The Astronauts co-founder and creative director Adrian Chmielarz said, “The thing that excites me the most in video games is the idea of experiencing different worlds. To be a space pirate, a detective with supernatural powers, or a Church’s witch hunter. It doesn’t matter to me if the game is focused on the story or on the mechanics— I need its world to feel like a real place. So even though Witchfire is obviously a shooter first, we invest a lot in its world and lore. I believe this enhances the experience even for the people who claim they don’t care about the stories in games at all.”

Chmielarz also confirmed that, although the game features and extensive lore and backstory, the main focus for Early Access it to present a polished and atmospheric gameplay experience, with further story elements to be added as teh game approaches its full release.

“The last few trailers were very combat focused and I think gave the wrong impression that Witchfire is a non-stop action fest,” Chmielarz said. “It is not. Sure, some fights will be incredibly intense, but there are also periods of quiet exploration, planning, thinking. It is much closer to Souls in that regard rather than, say, DOOM. So that’s why the beginning of this new trailer is a little slower. We might slow down even more when there’s finally time for the launch trailer.”

Watch the new trailer below.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Bloodbourne guns only.

Looks fantastic, but it might get swallowed up in all the games releasing this year.

2023 just won't stop.

After all these years I'm disappointed they're releasing on EGS, and early access to boot. Guess I'll wait for a discounted steam release. Game looks good, but man it's been so long in the making.

Top Bottom