• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 1103-0517 - Thor opens Hela big, thunder rolls over Moms and Mama

xaosslug

60QCChz.jpg
iyViR16.jpg
G5jo0zO.jpg
ickFlj6.jpg
CdVxowc.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
93% Thor: Ragnarok
eptv7.gif
32% A Bad Moms Christmas
8mB0Q.gif
31% Jigsaw
3Pj0x.gif
06% Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween
5f4ew.gif
15% Geostorm
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
51% LBJ

CBq5r.gif

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Thor: Ragnarok' Rules With $121 Million Weekend

Disney-Marvel's ”Thor: Ragnarok" is heading for a stellar opening weekend with $121 million at 4,080 North American locations — the fourth best launch of 2017.

The third Thor movie is also putting an emphatic end to the month-long box office slump that saw the worst October in a decade. Among 2017 titles, its debut weekend trails only ”Beauty and the Beast" at $174.8 million, ”Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" at $146.5 million and ”It" at $123.4 million.

”Thor: Ragnarok" also officially launches the holiday season with a major bang. Moviegoing has been battered this year by a subpar second half that's pulled down 2017 grosses by 5%, but it should rebound somewhat, thanks to ”Thor: Ragnorak," Warner Bros.-DC Entertainment's ”Justice League" (which opens Nov. 17) and Disney-Lucasfilm's ”Star Wars: The Last Jedi" (opening Dec. 15).

”November has been a hotbed for blockbusters and is as important to any given year as even the hottest summer months and has been the launch pad for some of the biggest franchises in box office history including ‘Harry Potter,' ‘The Hunger Games' and ‘Twilight,' not to mention the traditional home for James Bond," noted Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore. ”Now Thor joins the rarefied air that is the $100 million November opening club, becoming only the ninth film to ever reach this threshold and the first to do it within the first part of the month."

STXfilms' R-rated ”A Bad Moms Christmas," which opened Wednesday, is heading for a respectable $21.6 million at 3,615 sites for its first five days. A24's launch of Greta Gerwig's ”Lady Bird" posted the best platform opening of the year with $375,612 on four screens for an impressive $93,903 per-screen average.

”Thor: Ragnarok" wound up over-performing recent estimates, which had been in the $100 million to $118 million range. The rollout includes 3,400 3D screens, 391 IMAX screens, 616 premium large format screens, and 204 D-Box locations. The IMAX total was $25.4 million.

With Chris Hemsworth reprising the title role, ”Thor: Ragnarok" will finish far above its predecessors, nearly doubling the 2011 opening of ”Thor" at $65.7 million and coming in 41% above the 2013 sequel ”Thor: The Dark World" at $85.7 million.

”Thor: Ragnarok" is directed by Taika Waititi from a screenplay by Eric Pearson and the writing team of Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost. It also stars Tom Hiddleston, Cate Blanchett, Idris Elba, Jeff Goldblum, Tessa Thompson, Karl Urban, Mark Ruffalo, and Anthony Hopkins. The character of Thor, based on Norse mythology, was created in 1962 by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, and Jack Kirby for Marvel Comics.

”Thor: Ragnarok" has also taken in $306 million overseas, including $109 million in its international launch last week in 52% of foreign markets. It expanded to most other overseas territories this weekend.

More coming

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

kunonabi

Wont be seeing Thor until tomorrow but nice to see it open big anyway. That marketing was really on point. Also looks the Foreigner legged out pretty well too.

t-storm

Yaaas Thor. Saw it Friday and loved it.

On another positive note, I was at Walmart over the weekend and their coming soon list for dvds said Blade Runner 2049 for end of December.

thatescalatedquickly.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was expecting a nice little boost. Been seeing friends who definitely didn't see the first two films talk about how much they loved this one. Great franchise revitalization.

t-storm

I was expecting a nice little boost. Been seeing friends who definitely didn't see the first two films talk about how much they loved this one. Great franchise revitalization.
Yeah I haven’t seen the first two and purporsely didn’t want to watch them before Ragnarok given the consensus on them and great reviews Ragnarok’s been getting.

Mahadev

Is Ragnarok better than the other two Thors? Because the first 2 seemed extremely boring and mediocre to me.

JLynn

Is Ragnarok better than the other two Thors? Because the first 2 seemed extremely boring and mediocre to me.

Yes. If you like your movies to be fun and funny, this is the movie for you.

I also got shades of Flash Gordon during the movie.

natjjohn

Not seen any of the Thors but have strong interest in Ragnarok. Do plan on seeing so not surprised to see it doing well

Vkandrew

Really excited for that Thor opening. I’m glad that Marvel isn’t just resting on their laurels and pumping out safe stuff and are letting their Directors have fun with it. Also glad that movie goers are rewarding them for it.

firelogic

I wish everyone involved with Blade Runner 2049 was rewarded a little more for what they were able to accomplish. Absolute travesty it isn't even hitting $90M domestically.

I wish everyone involved with Blade Runner 2049 was rewarded a little more for what they were able to accomplish. Absolute travesty it isn't even hitting $90M domestically.
The movie was great, but whoever approved a budget over $150 million for an R-rated 3 hour sci-fi sequel to a 35-year-old film that bombed was just not thinking straight. The film would surely appeal to fans of the original, but they should've known it would have limited appeal with general audiences.

Sometimes I think Hollywood is its own worst enemy.

Kimawolf

The movie was great, but whoever approved a budget over $150 million for an R-rated 3 hour sci-fi sequel to a 35-year-old film that bombed was just not thinking straight. The film would surely appeal to fans of the original, but they should've known it would have limited appeal with general audiences.

Bingo. this person gets it. I AM GLAD it was made, but that was the problem, it was too expensive, period. It was a cult film and as such shoulda been treated as one.

Alt183

:( Blade Runner 2049. I finally watched it after refreshing on the Final Cut and the three short films. It felt like doing homework, but I was impressed by it all the same. Still find it insane they were hoping to build off this for movie sequels and a television series. I'm just glad we had a good movie come out of it at all.

Saw Thor today, definitely one of my favorite Marvel films. Glad to see Snowman fleeing theaters at a breakneck pace.

Love the crappy title as always, but godDAMN is this community dead. 20 posts today versus 246 at the other place. Fucking sad, man.

t-storm

Last weekend’s thread didn’t make it past 10 posts, I think so this weekend has doubled that :D

Don’t throw in the towel, xaosslug! Your weekend box office threads still has lots of fans! It’s only up from here! XD

Wiped89

I thought it was one of the worst films I've ever seen. It was torturously long.

As for Thor 3, it was good but as a fan of the first two Thor films, I kind of missed the feel of the old ones. It kind of shat all over what made them good, literally and metaphorically, getting rid of Jane and destroying Asgard. There were way too many jokes which bordered on cringey and goofy. It was a good film and fun, I guess I just it was weird going to a Guardians of the Galaxy feel after the first two.

DiddyBop

Well deserved for Thor, really enjoyed it. The Foreigner must be a disappointment given all the marketing. Guess the new generation of moviegoers don't care about a Jackie Chan action flick? Happy Death Day doing numbers is also great, very fun movie

Kimawolf

I thought it was one of the worst films I've ever seen. It was torturously long.

As for Thor 3, it was good but as a fan of the first two Thor films, I kind of missed the feel of the old ones. It kind of shat all over what made them good, literally and metaphorically, getting rid of Jane and destroying Asgard. There were way too many jokes which bordered on cringey and goofy. It was a good film and fun, I guess I just it was weird going to a Guardians of the Galaxy feel after the first two.

Jane didnt want to do it anymore. So what do we think Murder on the Orient Express will do?

t-storm

I thought it was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

shocked-what-gif.gif

As for Thor 3, it was good but as a fan of the first two Thor films, I kind of missed the feel of the old ones. It kind of shat all over what made them good, literally and metaphorically,
You're the first person I've seen say this about the first 2 films. I haven't watched them yet but curiousity slowly rising...

kunonabi

Well deserved for Thor, really enjoyed it. The Foreigner must be a disappointment given all the marketing. Guess the new generation of moviegoers don't care about a Jackie Chan action flick? Happy Death Day doing numbers is also great, very fun movie

Foreigner was pretty cheap and has been beating expectations. It's also done very well in its primary markets overseas already.

firelogic

Thank god for the person/persons that approved it because every single cent is right up there on the screen. I love that they let Denis make the movie he wanted to make, commercial success be damned. I love that they took the risk which ultimately didn't pay off which is a shame because the chances of another movie like this coming out has become even slimmer.

Bingo. this person gets it. I AM GLAD it was made, but that was the problem, it was too expensive, period. It was a cult film and as such shoulda been treated as one.

If it had a cult movie budget, it wouldn't have been remotely the same experience. The people behind the movie should be applauded, not put down for making a "mistake."

Hemsworth was getting bored with the character. He wanted something different. If it was the same, he probably would have just phoned it in and you would have been complaining about his acting.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Damn Suburbicon is doing horribly.

Yep, bit of a mess. Has like zero award chances and nobody is going to even bother checking it out on video with such a piss poor critical and audience reception.

Wiped89

shocked-what-gif.gif

You're the first person I've seen say this about the first 2 films. I haven't watched them yet but curiousity slowly rising...

Yeah, the first two weren't universally loved. But I actually think the Thor films were a really good counter point to the other Avengers films. Iron Man = modern, humour driven. Captain America = traditional, clean cut fighter with a historical backdrop. Thor = sprawling space opera based on Norse mythology. They all had a place and they were all different. They both had lots of Loki (god I love Loki) and the first one in particular had lots of 'fish out of water' gentle comedy moments with Thor on earth.

Thor 3 feels like Thor Does Guardians of the Galaxy. It's undoubtedly a good film but I feel like it lost the identity of the first two and what I liked about them.

Top Bottom