• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft beta gets PvP

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/15/news_6100742.html

"This new player versus player realm is an all-out Horde vs. Alliance server, where the factions can finally battle!" said a release from Blizzard. Besides allowing players in the game's two factions--the benevolent Alliance and the malevolent Horde--to flense each other to ribbons, it will also let the WoW development team work the kinks out of PvP combat.

To that end, the WoW dev team will only be including the most basic PvP combat features--at first. Each new zone in the realm will be color-coded, with green denoting friendly areas, red marking enemy territory, and yellow equalling contested land. Characters are fair game in enemy and neutral territory, but cannot be attacked in friendly areas unless they strike first. The game will also provide a mini-map to help players not stray onto deadly ground.

golem

i knew i should have gotten those extra accounts for my friends.. starting to get bored of COH now.. ah well, still have an account or two waitlisted

Joe

when is this game gonna hit shelves? and is it a demanding game (spec wise)?

i got p4 2ghz, 256mb ram, geforce2.

i really wanna get into an mmo game and i was gonna buy city of heroes but there doesnt seem to be enough depth for me.

Joe said:
when is this game gonna hit shelves? and is it a demanding game (spec wise)?

Judging from the state of the beta (and knowing Blizzard), I wouldn't expect it before Christmas. I have an Athlon 1800 with a GeForce Ti4200 and it runs gorgeously; you should be able to run it on just about any quasi-modern gaming system.

I also enjoyed City of Heroes, for a while, but it got shallow pretty fast. World of Warcraft has soooooooooooooooooooooo much content and so many quests that it's sick. Sick!

CoH is a bore fest after a few weeks. Has less depth than 99% of the single player action titles I've played.

I think WoW comes out this fall sometime... But I'm really not sure. After years of following the game, I haven't read any WoW news at all since not making the beta. I'll probably breakdown and buy it, but I can bitch and moan in the meantime.

Razoric

Banned
I can't wait for this game. I'm not in the beta test though, I want to play this game in it's (mostly) finished state for the first time. Don't want to spoil it. :)

akascream

Banned
Standard Player vs. Environment Server

Currently, players now have the ability to attack almost all opposing faction NPCs including vendors and quest givers. If a player attacks an opposing faction NPC, players of the opposite faction are then able to target and attack that player. Whenever an NPC is attacked, players who share the same faction as that NPC will receive a system message indicating that a specific town is under attack.

Please be aware that some quest NPCs might not always be available. If they have been killed, players should wait for the NPC to respawn. The development team expects there to be some bugs associated with this so be sure to /bug and /suggest whenever necessary.

Actions that will enable PvP on the standard player vs. environment server are: attacking an NPC of the opposing faction, attacking a player who attacked an NPC, and/or aiding a player engaged in PvP. Players will also have the ability to enable PvP on their own by using the /pvp command. Once PvP has been enabled by a player, no matter what the method, it will remain in effect for five minutes.

In time, all standard servers will include a consensual Player vs. Player system called Battlegrounds. Once Battlegrounds has been implemented, players will have the ability to attack other players to defend their cities and towns from invasion. We expect the Battlegrounds system to be available later during the beta test.

Horde vs. Alliance Race War Server

The new Horde vs. Alliance race war server will establish a straightforward method for the development team to test and balance the races and classes in a PvP environment. PvP concepts will be gradually introduced on this server. This means that the initial implementation of PvP is not how our final model will work once World of Warcraft is released. This patch includes the fundamental ideas of PvP in order to tune and refine the very foundation of our PvP model.

On the Horde vs. Alliance race war server, territories will be indicated whenever a player enters a new zone. The zone name will now include additional information to inform the player of the territories status. Additionally, the mini-map will be color coded to indicate who controls the zone: Green = Friendly, Red = Enemy and Yellow = Contested.

Players will be able to initiate player vs. player combat based on what territory they are in. Players in friendly territories are safe unless they decide to engage an opposing faction player in combat. Players in enemy territories will always be at risk and can be attacked by all players that belong in the territory. All players can be attacked in neutral (contested) territories.

Actions that will enable a player for PvP status on the Horde vs. Alliance race war server will be: entering or being in an enemy territory, entering or being in a contested territory, attacking an NPC of the opposing faction, attacking another player, and/or aiding a player engaged in PvP. Players will also be able to enable PvP on their own by using the /pvp command. Once PvP has been enabled for a player, no matter what the method, it will remain in effect for five minutes.

akascream

Banned
HOLY SHIT!.. THANK YOU BLIZZARD!!!

Wide Screen Support

Support for wide screen ratios (16:9, 16:10 and 5:4) have been added as a fullscreen choice. The video options have been enhanced to list individual display resolution modes. At this time, windowed mode will still be limited to a 4:3 ratio.

:bow Blizz :bow

PvP is a good and bad thing.

Good: Umm, it's PvP, any MMO worth it's salt offers this on some level
Bad: This is probably going to add another 6-12 months to beta. :(

Razoric

Banned
No way this game is coming in 2004 now. PvP is gonna take at LEAST 6 months, not even counting all the other things they have to finish/fix. Oh well, good thing I have CoH (screw the hatas) to tide me over. :D

Subitai

Sal Paradise Jr said:
PvP is a good and bad thing.

Good: Umm, it's PvP, any MMO worth it's salt offers this on some level
Bad: This is probably going to add another 6-12 months to beta. :(
I can wait. There's so much coming out this year anyway.

ManaByte said:
Are you playing on the PvP server, and if so Horde or Alliance?

I started a new Dwarven Paladin on PvP last night. Gonna wait for the next round of invites to start going seriously, tho - a lot of people I know are coming in, and I don't wanna soar past 'em. Yourself?

ManaByte

Gold Member
JackFrost2012 said:
I started a new Dwarven Paladin on PvP last night. Gonna wait for the next round of invites to start going seriously, tho - a lot of people I know are coming in, and I don't wanna soar past 'em. Yourself?

All Alliance in PvP since everyone I know is Alliance. I prefer Horde though. My main will be a Human Warlock, but I also made a Druid, Rogue, Warrior, and Mage.

ManaByte said:
All Alliance in PvP since everyone I know is Alliance. I prefer Horde though. My main will be a Human Warlock, but I also made a Druid, Rogue, Warrior, and Mage.

I really enjoyed the heck out of the warlock I played for 20 levels on PvE and may very well go with that for my "final" on the actual servers. They're so wacky and can do a bit of everything. Still, they nerfed the hell out of them this patch - channel spells are now INTERRUPTABLE?! By REGULAR attacks, not just kicks/shield breaks?! how the hell are you supposed to get soulstones now ;_;

I'd like to try a Horde race some time ... what is it that makes you prefer them?

Top Bottom