• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would it be weird to send a letter of endorsement supporting a subordinate for promotion?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I work at a young company. I was one of the founding members of the department I work for and currently serve as an assistant manager. My current manager is leaving the company. They're currently holding interviews for his replacement. I think it's down to three candidates. I didn't put my name forward due to health-related issues I'm dealing with currently that would make it so I wouldn't be able to manage the team in the capacity they deserve.

One of the candidates is one of my proteges. He's currently a supervisor, but I think he'd be an excellent fit for the role. I was thinking about reaching out the people making the decision (my current manager, two directors and the COO) to voice my support for this person. I'm on friendly terms with all them (this is a start-up, we all started around the same time in roughly the same roles and the others have been promoted overtime (as have I) into their current roles).

Would this be weird? Worse yet, could it be detrimental to the person I'm recommending?

NecrosaroIII

One of the other candidates might be a better fit than him, who knows.
I know the other candidates very well, having worked with them and having trained them. Some of them are okay. One of them is not. In my estimation, my coworker is the best fit. And in any case, that would be on the others to decide. I just wanted to give a little nudge in my choice's direction

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Don't do that unless you are asked. Even though your intentions are good there is a chance it could be taken negatively. What if you endorse and they go with someone else?

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Don't do that unless you are asked. Even though your intentions are good there is a chance it could be taken negatively. What if you endorse and they go with someone else?
Then they go with someone else? Wouldn't be a big deal

Nope. Wouldn’t say it’s an issue. Especially in an open and honest working environment

They don’t have to take your advice after all.

I also think it shows strength in yourself to speak well on the record of a colleague 🫶🏽

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Then they go with someone else? Wouldn't be a big deal
Usually the decision makers don't like interference. I guess you know those guys better than me so idk. I think it would feel a little weird if my endorsement was overlooked.

What the heck. Do it lol.

Last edited:

Biff

If you phrase it to be clear you are aware this person is going through the interview process and therefore just wanted to add your recommendation, I think it is 100% okay. And as others have mentioned, it shows you care about the company and want the best for everyone.

The only way it would be weird is if your protege hadn't put his hand up, and then you come in and say "I think you should interview XYZ for the role". That makes you seem like you think you are more important than you actually are ("who's this guy telling us who to interview?"). But that isn't the case here because they already included him in the process through their own decision, so clearly they think highly enough of him to interview him for the promotion.

Last edited:
If you genuinely think the dude would be a good fit then I'd say do it.
Worst case scenario, they go with someone else, big whoop.
Best case scenario, your man gets the nod and you know that he will be a good fit for the role.
Bonus points cause you did a solid for your protégé.

Sounds like what a mentor or someone in position is authority is SUPPOSED to do! Do it!
Agreed with this kid.

Would be a simple case of stating "in my opinion...." Etc and as you say, it's just a nudge - and if your mate, sorry, protege gets it - it's always kudos to you in your training. 👍

Just steer clear of saying owt regarding that other cuckoo that you rank bottom of the list! 😆

StueyDuck

Is it weird... no... but are you willing to do so knowing it's not just their reputation but yours as well.

It's hard for people to fight for promotions, having someone on your side is really helpful. If you can be that someone and you trust them and truly believe they have a good case for one then I feel you should entertain the idea of doing it at least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom