• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox has paid out $1.2 billion to independent developers this generation

Independent developers have been paid a total of $1.2 billion since the ID@Xbox initiative launched five years ago.

The figure was revealed to Kotaku Australiain an interview with the program's leader Chris Charla, who talked up the financial benefits for indie developers.

"We've paid more than $1.2 billion to independent developers this generation for games that have come through the ID program," he said. "There's great commercial opportunity. There's great artist opportunity."

Naturally, Charla did not offer specific details as to how much each studio has earned.

It's worth nothing this figure will be split between more than 1,000 games -- Charla revealed the ID@Xbox had reached this milestone back in October 2018.

ID@Xbox was launched in 2014 to help independent developers bring their games to the Xbox platform. Charla told GamesIndustry.biz the scheme had generated more than $1 billion in revenue back in July 2018.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Where's Timmy Sweeney to tell us that this 1.2 billion figure is actually a bad thing because it only means that Microsoft has stolen the missing 30% of it from the poor indies just for the privilege of putting their games on its store :p

Last edited:
Everything about Microsoft's gaming seems great for now. Let's see if they fail or get succeeded with their support of developers (I hope 1st never happens)

yurinka

Another way of saying that is that Microsoft earned over $500 million of getting the 30% cut from indie games mandating them not releasing the game before in other places, etc.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No, the ROI has not been stated. $1.2 billion was spent on indie game development since the release of the Xbox One.
We do not really know how much they spent, because what they paid out to creators is just their revenue share, but Microsoft has other costs as well (staff, licensing, tech). We do know how much their share of the gross revenue on the programm is though: 1.2 billion /0.7*0.3, so about half a billion.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
If I owned Microsoft stock I would be screaming for the closure of the Xbox division. It's done nothing but bleed cash from the get go.

Microsoft sucks at games.

dirthead

Banned
Turns out you know more about running a corporation, then the guys who run a very profitable trillion dollar company.

Yeah because trillion dollar companies never make horrible mistakes.

41CPGXoKbgL._SY355_.jpg
windows-store.png
lumia920stock1_640.0.jpg

Windows-8_1.png

xbox360-rrod.jpg

Last edited:

Lort

Banned

hahaha queue everyone who just came to claim this is MS loosing money ... bad investments ..should close xbox ... to go quiet..

its obvious to most thats exactly what he was saying all along ...

unless your from the cult of playstation console fanboys.

They may not have sold a billion ( apple) or 100 million ( like sony) but they still sold 45 million ... which has a revenue of about 10 billion a year and generally makes a profit.

Third party games sell about 40 /60 split on xbox/ playstation rather than 25/75) and sell millions making the platform extremely viable, this is why developers fully support both platforms.

Elenchus

Banned
Just a reminder that this week Microsoft won the $10Billion JEDI contract from the pentagon over Amazon.

Among many other defense contracts. MS has been cleaning Amazon’s clock all year long on these deals. Pretty obvious that Nadella’s strategy is working and that Azure is a superior cloud service. The DOD doesn’t go with second best.

Dane

They are swimming in money, just came across this.

All of their divisions have been doing well overall (yes even the Xbox), even the Linkedin acquisition is set to pay off in two years.

Sony on the other hand seems to be more and more dependant on Playstation, rumors is that they might sell their movie division.

dirthead

Banned
Now List all of your Billion dollar failures and achievements and let's see if you qualify to run MS

I don't recall saying that I should run Microsoft. I said if I owned Microsoft stock, I'd be screaming for the closure of the Xbox division (and stocks would be even higher now). If you had a modicum of intelligence you'd be able to interpret those as unique ideas.

SpartanN92

Banned
I don't recall saying that I should run Microsoft. I said if I owned Microsoft stock, I'd be screaming for the closure of the Xbox division (and stocks would be even higher now). If you had a modicum of intelligence you'd be able to interpret those as unique ideas.

Going to need to you to explain how and what the difference would be. Other wise it just sounds like you’ve watched Wolf Of Wallstreet on your PlayStation a few times and you think you know how this works.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned

I own MS stock and love the renewed focus on gaming and cloud services. MS is officially cool again and my man Panos Panay is on the case. Relax.

Trying to use big words to insult cause you really have nothing to add. Sorry future Microsoft senior executive.

thelastword

Banned
Has indies really made an impact this gen though. I find indies had more of a presence, quality and quantity last gen, just a flood of good ones, this gen, not so much...

Lort

Banned
Except for the games.

What key titles came from this 1.2 billion?

The titles didnt come from the 1.2 billion, they were created then sold and promoted by Microsoft. Go look and be suprised ( i guess) that almost all popular indie games are on xbox .. and that is where the 1.2 billion came from.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Except for the games.

What key titles came from this 1.2 billion?

The edge Sony leads on is always the most important in this debate.

First it was graphics. After One X it was the games.

Top Bottom