• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X is $339 on BestBuy via the BestBuy app’s Drops

twilo99

But clearly they don't have the games the mass consumer's want, thus it's irrelevant. Hell, look at the lowly spec'ed Switch.

There are hundreds of games that run on both system with near identical performance and if you happen to want to play any of those non-exclusive games, the xsx is a much better deal at $330 than the PS5 at $500.

Exclusivity is a vastly different conversation.

Deerock71

Why are you experiencing fear?
christian bale batman GIF

twilo99

Bullshit. You just said "The PS5 certainly doesn't provide $160 worth of performance over the xsx". I didn't even bring up PS5. I just said comparing PC and console pricing was bizarre.

You must've misunderstood what I mean by performance, let me try another way..

Are you familiar with the "cost per frame" equation?

It's where you take frame generating hardware at a certain price, measure the frames it produces in a video game, and compared that to another frame generating hardware using the same method. The results usually look like this:

In our case we have two such devices

xsx $330
PS5 $500

If you take a random game like BG3 you will find that both system run that game at almost identical frame rate and settings, that being 30FPS, which would then mean that every frame the xsx generates is much cheaper than the PS5.

Does that help you?

Astray

Is the Xbox Series X really all that bad? For those who don't own a PC, I mean.
As someone who owns it, it's a neat console that is solid on most fronts, but it also doesn't really excel in anything.

If it wasn't my 1st ever Xbox machine I'd honestly never really remember it in 5 or so years.

Topher

Gold Member

It's where you take frame generating hardware at a certain price, measure the frames it produces in a video game, and compared that to another frame generating hardware using the same method. The results usually look like this:

xsx $330
PS5 $500

If you take a random game like BG3 you will find that both system run that game at almost identical frame rate and settings, that being 30FPS, which would then mean that every frame the xsx generates is much cheaper than the PS5.

Does that help you?

I think we are both missing each other's points. Yes, I understand price per frame, but the post I replied to was talking about overall costs of a PC versus that of XSX. If we are talking about overall costs then that is a much larger discussion than just price/performance. And the equation is much more fluid on the PC side with the multitude of variations vs static hardware. So how is PC vs XSX a better comparison than PS5 vs XSX? Answer: it just isn't.

But yeah, to your point that I misunderstood initially, if I'm just looking for the cheapest console to play multiplats and nothing else then right now XSX would be the better deal.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

xsx $330
PS5 $500

Does that help you?

Good on you for trying this.

This generation is completely Sony (nvidia) vs Microsoft (amd) when it comes to gpus. There's plenty of those that are happy with amd and see the dollar per performance but there's those that want nvidia and won't budge.

So, what's amd or Microsoft to do to win more customers over. Get the price as low as possible to incentivise sales.

It's clear that the playstation 5 is the immensely more popular choice for consumers, so Microsoft has to do something drastic to push sales. I'm just glad they actually are. We need them to push their less desirable product out the door. For a company that's biggest push is subscriptions, they should be taking whatever hit they need to take to get these consoles into as many hands as possible.

Dumping: Dumping, in economics, is a form of predatory pricing, especially in the context of international trade. It occurs when manufacturers export a product to another country at a price below the normal price with an injuring effect. The objective of dumping is to increase market share in a foreign market by driving out competition and thereby create a monopoly situation where the exporter will be able to unilaterally dictate price and quality of the product.

Liquidation: Liquidation generally refers to the process of selling off a company’s inventory, typically at a big discount, to generate cash. In most cases, a liquidation sale is a precursor to a business closing. Once all the assets have been sold, the business is shut down.

Pick one.

Jesus Christ dude. How about Christmas sale lol. Sell the console cheap and make it back on gamepass.

Last edited:
As a Series S owner after careful consideration, I have decided that no matter how much Series X goes for I would rather spend that money on games. I also much prefer the slim design of the Series S over the bulky X and abhor the trashbin redesign.

Flutta

Banned
Especially surprising considering "console sales do not matter to Xbox."

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC
Game sales don’t matter to Xbox
Console sales don't matter to Xbox
Winning GOTY don't matter to Xbox
Competition don't matter to Xbox
Most viewed game trailers on YT don't matter to Xbox

Only engagement matters to Xbox.
Gamers: What does that mean?
Xbox: Whatever the F we want it to mean.

No Se Madre GIF by Movistar Plus+

Last edited:

coffinbirth

It should be! They bought Bethesda a couple of years ago. But what about profit? How's GamePass doing?

Somebody will have to take them to court again to know those true numbers, but they pocketed $1.5B last year...and they started FY23 with "record" revenue numbers. These numbers will only go up after the ABK deal.

FrankWza

Not low enough yet. Get to $289 and maybe I’ll think about it.
It's on its way. Either by bundle or straight up. The problem for them is, you have to bundle a non-gp game to make it worth it. $299 with RE4. GP devalues bundles too.

twilo99

It should be! They bought Bethesda a couple of years ago. But what about profit? How's GamePass doing?

This next quarter is going to be very interesting because they will have to include Activision.

Actually, it would be $330 temporarily versus $450 (MSRP). And the majority of the generation it was $400 (PS4 DE) vs $500 (XSX).

Isn't the disk drive considered a major feature around here?

twilo99

Not a factor for cost per frame.

100% correct lol

I was just compering the like for like systems, but sure, the PS5 digital has been the better cost per frame machine for a while now if you don't care about the disk drive, however, as of right now, the xsx offers a disk drive and better cost per frame ratio.

Last edited:

Brucey

What's the point of selling a lot of consoles if they can't recoup their money from them? You can only sell at a loss so far. At some point software sales aren't going to make up for how much you're losing on every console sold.
This is normal operation for the Xbox console business.

Tsaki

If these discounts don't move a significant amount of units nothing will. This is the strongest piece of hardware you could buy for > $350 in the market nothing comes close in this form factor at this price. This is cheaper than some RTX 4060s alone which the series X trades blows with or exceeds, the difference is that you are getting a whole ass system instead of a single component. For an equivalent 4060 system you would need to buy a case, a psu, a cpu, ssd, mb, ram, and cooler all of which alone also cost more than the Series X and if you get them to match in price then they are shit tier components.
That is correct and the same applies to the $150 series s
Would be cool if Windows could be sideloaded. Best value NUCs on the market

Last edited:

twilo99

Would be cool if Windows could be sideloaded. Best value NUCs on the market

I know.. shame they keep it locked down like that. I got a used one for like $180 about a year ago and its been solid and I think it will be able to run Windows 11 just fine

Last edited:

Brucey

Somebody will have to take them to court again to know those true numbers, but they pocketed $1.5B last year...and they started FY23 with "record" revenue numbers. These numbers will only go up after the ABK deal.
Well yes after spending $69 billion on ABK they should have increased revenue to show. I think pre acquisition ABK revenue was something like 7 billion per year.

twilo99

Well yes after spending $69 billion on ABK they should have increased revenue to show. I think pre acquisition ABK revenue was something like 7 billion per year.

Their "personal computing" shows 13.7 billion for the last quarter which I think its only Surface and Xbox.. so, I think it's probably more than 7 billion for the year

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Xbox 360 used to have insane Christmas bundles and deals as well.

$330 is pretty nuts for the hardware. Not bad even if just for all the 360 exclusives.

Brucey

Their "personal computing" shows 13.7 billion for the last quarter which I think its only Surface and Xbox.. so, I think it's probably more than 7 billion for the year
Actually it's much more than that, there's a reason Windows licensing is included in that segment. Therefore the segment as a whole for reporting purposes is always vastly profitable.

Efdv7SH.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom