• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX: Journey to the Savage Planet in performance mode runs very bad, is it my console?

Stafford

Ok here's the deal. Could someone maybe do me a favor and download this game and try at least the starting area? It's the first clip.

This game is free until monday on Xbox. It recently was patched for Xbox Series too. The game has a performance mode now. I tried it. As soon as the game begins it seems 60fps until I look around and I get these micro stutters.

Once outside it's just really bad, barely ever a smooth 60fps again. I had this with Call of the Sea too but a acquaintance of mine said it ran fine on his XSX.

Here's a clip of mine. It seems smooth until I rotate the view to the Grob machine, you see it bogging down.

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/2T8PSSV2T2

Or here, smooth until i look at the area with the pink trees

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/EAJYA9S5NX

And this here shows how it bogs down, until I look behind me where the sky is and not much of the map.

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/FTE7VFNY84

I've now did a hard reboot, I reinstalled the game, I disabled VRR to see if this was causing it, I changed from 120hz to 60, nothing helps it. Even tried a different TV.

Worried that it's my X because according to a performance analysis video it's super smooth at 60fps on both X and S.

DaGwaphics

Probably just a poorly optimized game. Tons of the indies are like that, they stress the consoles even when the visuals are hardly the best thing going. Many times you can just get used to the jank as you continue playing, not much that can be done about it.

Stafford

Probably just a poorly optimized game. Tons of the indies are like that, they stress the consoles even when the visuals are hardly the best thing going. Many times you can just get used to the jank as you continue playing, not much that can be done about it.

So you don't think it's my console? Because the video analysis is very strange then. His graph shows how it doesn't go below 60fps.

DaGwaphics

So you don't think it's my console? Because the video analysis is very strange then. His graph shows how it doesn't go below 60fps.

If this is the only game you are having a problem with, I doubt it is a hardware problem. Once those type of issues begin to show up it is generally a pervasive problem. If everything on the console seems sluggish maybe you have a hardware problem.

You could try re downloading and doing a hard reset on the console.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
This game ran very well on PC and considering it's a UE4 game, that is quite the achievement. Almost no stutters and good frame rate.

What you are getting is not performance issues. It's just some graphical glitch. It could be just a ug in the game.
But it also looks like the type of error, one would see on a GPU when the memory is falling.
Do you get that on any other game?

acm2000

first things first, clear the console cache (press hold power button for 10 seconds when its on then remove power cable for 2 minutes)

if that fails, uninstalled and reinstall

if that fails, drop kick it out the window

Stafford

If this is the only game you are having a problem with, I doubt it is a hardware problem. Once those type of issues begin to show up it is generally a pervasive problem.

You could try re downloading and doing a hard reset on the console though.

A hard reset would mean that the "my home Xbox" settings go back to default too, don't they? That's a bit of a risk for me, because I would need to login on my brother's account to make that my gone Xbox again, for Game sharing. Issue is, I can't log into his account, password not correct error while it IS the exact password he uses.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If a console has specific hardware issues, you're more likely to see artifacts, etc., signs of a GPU that is fried, rather than general slowdown. That's just not the way consoles work.

Stafford

This game ran very well on PC and considering it's a UE4 game, that is quite the achievement. Almost no stutters and good frame rate.

What you are getting is not performance issues. It's just some graphical glitch. It could be just a ug in the game.
But it also looks like the type of error, one would see on a GPU when the memory is falling.
Do you get that on any other game?

I have unregular framerate in Wo Long performance mode, but I think that's normal for that game. FH5, Halo infinite, Gears 5, Shadow Warrior 3 and so many more all run fine, no issues.

I did have a similar issue a year or two ago with Call of the Sea, it was during a underwater part, ran like shit. But was perfectly smooth for someone else.

first things first, clear the console cache (press hold power button for 10 seconds when its on then remove power cable for 2 minutes)

if that fails, uninstalled and reinstall

if that fails, drop kick it out the window

Done it all. Except the dropkick, lmao.

Hard reboot, reinstall, different TV, VRR off, changed refresh rate.

DaGwaphics

A hard reset would mean that the "my home Xbox" settings go back to default too, don't they? That's a bit of a risk for me, because I would need to login on my brother's account to make that my gone Xbox again, for Game sharing. Issue is, I can't log into his account, password not correct error while it IS the exact password he uses.

No, your settings should be find. The hard reset just ensures that the unit is completely powered down and flushed (that no RAM dump is saved to speed the next boot, etc.).

Stafford

No, your settings should be find. The hard reset just ensures that the unit is completely powered down and flushed (that no RAM dump is saved to speed the next boot, etc.).

Oh you mean holding the power button until it shuts off, then unplug cable for two minutes? I thought you meant a full system reset, haha.

Stafford

This next gen update got a poor reception from being very badly optimized. It's the game, not your Xbox.

Yeah, I just found comments from people with this shit. I had not realised that this game had a Subreddit. Saw several comments there. That analysis video is very odd then. But on second glance I notice that it doesn't look super smooth at all, yet his graph shows 60fps. So I'm not sure what's going on there, lol.

Stafford

Most likely nothing to do with ur hardware, do you have problems with any other games?

Nah, most games run fine. The weird thing is, I was just told by someone who tested it on Series S that it's fine. I'm done with this nonsense. I'm gonna continue playing and finish it but I'm glad I didn't buy it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nah, most games run fine. The weird thing is, I was just told by someone who tested it on Series S that it's fine. I'm done with this nonsense. I'm gonna continue playing and finish it but I'm glad I didn't buy it.
There is lots of variance between the S and X this gen, it’s pretty bad. But if this is only happening in this one game it’s not your console.

Roberts

I was a bit disappointed the progress doesn't carry over to this updated version so I only played for about 10-15 minutes a few weeks ago when it was released. Seemed smooth to me (at least I didn't notice any slowdowns or choppiness) and definitely better than 30 fps on the original, but as I said, I barely spent any time with it.

Sorry I can't be much of a help, tho.

Last edited:

intbal

This game appears to have a camera bug similar to the pre-release version of High on Life.
It shows quite clearly in the video in the original post.

rapid32.5

Quick resume can slow some games down and cause missing sound issues. Recently I was able to fix missing textures in RE4 Remake by putting the console in power-saving mode.

Last edited:

Stafford

This game appears to have a camera bug similar to the pre-release version of High on Life.
It shows quite clearly in the video in the original post.

You mean where the framerate was inconsistent as hell too? I did play it before the day one patch and it was similar yeah. Smooth'ish inside the house, bad, really bad bad.

The original was a stable 30 fixed. But I rather that than the framepacing hell they delivered as a “performance” mode.

So it's far from ideal for you too in performance mode. It's so damn weird how some people don't have these issues at all. Just now another person who I trust said he tested it, it's fine.

So I guess if a game is a unoptimized mess, it can actually differ per console (even though it's the same)? I thought this stuff only happened with PC gaming. Thought consoles didn't work this way.

aries_71

You mean where the framerate was inconsistent as hell too? I did play it before the day one patch and it was similar yeah. Smooth'ish inside the house, bad, really bad bad.

So it's far from ideal for you too in performance mode. It's so damn weird how some people don't have these issues at all. Just now another person who I trust said he tested it, it's fine.

So I guess if a game is a unoptimized mess, it can actually differ per console (even though it's the same)? I thought this stuff only happened with PC gaming. Thought consoles didn't work this way.
It’s a mess. As far as the person you mention, it’s a fact that some people is inmune to frame rate fluctuations or frame pacing. The way their eye/brain works make them inmune to it. I wish I had that superpower.

Top Bottom