• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yah or Nay: Nintendo Should "All-Star"-ize Their Biggest Games

Just talking about Mario Kart Wii on another thread ... I got to think why don't we have a "Mario Kart All-Stars" like "Super Mario All-Stars" on the SNES?

It seems to me like now with the Nintendo WiFi service, it would be great to offer "All-Star" versions of classic Nintendo titles, and Nintendo would be able to re-use the engines for several games in each franchise, creating unity and also saving costs, and also bringing these games to a "new generation" as it were.

For instance Mario Kart "All-Stars" would have Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart: DD, Mario Kart: SC, and Mario Kart DS ... redone with one new graphics engine and online mode.

I think there's a host of other Nintendo franchises that also deserve "All-Star" treatment

Super Mario 1/2/3/World/YI with Paper Mario-quality graphics for instance.

Metroid/Metroid II/Super Metroid for sure.

Zelda I/II/III

3D games would probably take more time, but I think you could do a few for "All-Star"-dom.

Star Fox (SNES)/Star Fox 64 remade with online play.

Super Mario 64

Zelda: OoT/MM

Wave Race 64 (online play as well)

Even at $20 a pop ... I think I'd honestly end up purchasing all of those through Nintendo WiFi.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Well as a customer obviously the answer is yes, but when do companies ever try to please customers?

demi

They charge $20 for ports of NES games, where do you get the idea of $20 for ports of 4 NES games

Roders5 said:
Well as a customer obviously the answer is yes, but when do companies ever try to please customers?

From a business P.O.V. it'd also make sense for Nintendo in a Eisner-esque way (barf).

You have all these popular IPs ... make one engine for each franchise and then you can remake 3-4 different games at once and charge a nice premium for each one.

demi said:
They charge $20 for ports of NES games, where do you get the idea of $20 for ports of 4 NES games

No I meant more like $20/pop for each remake.

Maybe they would offer some type of deal where if you download say Metroid I/II/Super Metroid, you get all three together for $50 or something.

Obviously I'm not sure how speicfic the pricing range would be, but this would also be a clever way to "force" people to download all the games (ie: you don't really want Zelda II Remake, but you get it anyway to get a deal on the "trilogy" set).

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Don't worry. When Nintendo's need for money out-weigh their need for innovation we'll start to see these things. But until then Nintendo'll let you download every (original) game to your Wii.

Don't get your hopes up for Paper Marioesque graphics though, some of us aren't too fond of them.

Out of curiousity, which ones would you most like to see remade?

For me ...

Super Mario 64 ... the original has still held up well, I'd probably just be happy with a higher poly Mario model and perhaps an online "star race" type mode.

Star Fox on the SNES remade with at least Star Fox 64 graphics ... would make me quite happy. The soundtrack too! :)

Super Mario Kart (SNES).

The Legend of Zelda (NES) haven't played this in ages, wouldn't mind if it was remade.

Xellotah

Nay,

I don't see the point of "repainting" old games with updated graphics. In-fact it would literally be contradicting the phrase "same old game but with updated graphics" that Nintendo are leveraging against their competitors.

Xellotah said:
Nay,

I don't see the point of "repainting" old games with updated graphics. In-fact it would literally be contradicting the phrase "same old game but with updated graphics" that Nintendo are leveraging against their competitors.

Sorta, but I think of it more like "updating" a classic, kinda like how classic movies are often cleaned up and have the soundtrack redone for a DVD release.

I think this would be a good way for Nintendo to promote their heritage as well, remake them now, and they'd be able to re-use these assets for years to come.

The same way the Super Mario All-Stars engine is the same thing they used for the Mario Advance titles. That's a pretty big return on what was likely a minimal investment.

It could also perhaps make these games more acceptable to younger kids these days. Since people are already clamouring for things like online play to be added to games like Mario Kart ... I certainly wouldn't complain if there were versions with a nice new splash of paint on them.

Certain games, like the original Star Fox have not aged very well.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I do not like the SuperStars Thing. Having various game in one package it's not a good idea. I prefer what they did with Super Circiut or DS, to include old tracks again. It's the best way to replay it!

On the remake thing... yeah. I want to replay Star Fox & Lilat Wars with better art and graphics. A well done remake would be nice, with extended gameplay (new stages no changing the classic) and so on.

acidviper

Banned
I say Yay, but they ought to be super cheap, unless they update the game in some other way. But they should be a reward in some way for fans of the games. Like finish Zelda Wii on hard to unlock Paper Zelda or finishing the game enables a free wii Paper Zelda download.

Remember that Super Mario All-Stars was FREE (via mail order) with the SNES.

So, I say yes, but it should be a free download when you buy a Wii. If they had more than one, you choose one, and the others could be for sale.

Ranger X

I would buy "allstarised" Nintendo games for only one reason and this is what Nintendo should focus on if they ever do it:

REDONE/NEW graphics and sound + online play.

Otherwise they can shove themselves their ports up the ass.

jarrod

Banned
This basically was happening on Nintendo handhelds until recently, though I suspect the Virtual Console has effectively killed that. Nintendo already has an elegant solution to offering the back catalogue again, no need for further remakes or anything...

lyre

No ... please no.

In addition to 'upgrading' graphics (which may or may not keep the games' original charm), Nintendo will also do the following to each remake:

1: Add stupid and annoying voices for required actions which you can't turn off (almost killed Yoshi's Island GBA)
2: Idiotic and redundant collectathons (like Skultulas in the Zelda games, blue coins in the mario games inaddition to their red coins)
3: Gimp the hell out of the more difficult games' difficulty (Zelda 2 will be almost unplayable if this happens)
4: No .. just no.

Unlike quick and dirty port jobs, prettying up games actually take resources since new art, sound etc has to be made and that's not cheap. Remakes would be better (as there are one or two already did, ie Metroid) but even then, it's not gauranteed to be good (Super Mario 64). Just give us new games.

(and the thought of Nintendo charging 20 bucks for these is more than laughable .. there are no words)

Ranger X

yudaan said:
No ... please no.

In addition to 'upgrading' graphics (which may or may not keep the games' original charm), Nintendo will also do the following to each remake:

1: Add stupid and annoying voices for required actions which you can't turn off (almost killed Yoshi's Island GBA)
2: Idiotic and redundant collectathons (like Skultulas in the Zelda games, blue coins in the mario games inaddition to their red coins)
3: Gimp the hell out of the more difficult games' difficulty (Zelda 2 will be almost unplayable if this happens)
4: No .. just no.

Unlike quick and dirty port jobs, prettying up games actually take resources since new art, sound etc has to be made and that's not cheap. Remakes would be better (as there are one or two already did, ie Metroid) but even then, it's not gauranteed to be good (Super Mario 64). Just give us new games.

(and the thought of Nintendo charging 20 bucks for these is more than laughable .. there are no words)

Sure but Super Mario Allstars is still the king of remakes imo and if they go by anything like this it could be great. They just need to leave the games intact and only update graphics and sound.

lyre

You show me Super Mario All Stars and I show you Super Mario Advance series. And even then, Nintendo gimped the difficulty of the games in Super Mario All Stars. They weren't nearly as difficult as their originals (not like the originals were very hard to begin with). And the SMAdvance series are just irritating to play half the time.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Ranger X said:
Sure but Super Mario Allstars is still the king of remakes imo and if they go by anything like this it could be great. They just need to leave the games intact and only update graphics and sound.

I remember hating the SNES mario1 being shit compared to the NES

usea

If they're like Super Mario All-Stars, then no thank you. I couldn't stomach playing SMB on SNES because the game was entirely different. The engine didn't work the same way, it was like playing the same content with gameplay that didn't work properly. Collision was different, I think skidding was slightly different too. New games would -as somebody else mentioned- have sound effects added for basic actions and other annoying things.

Ports are okay, complete remakes can be okay, but none of this half-way, in-between crap.

Ranger X

usea said:
If they're like Super Mario All-Stars, then no thank you. I couldn't stomach playing SMB on SNES because the game was entirely different. The engine didn't work the same way, it was like playing the same content with gameplay that didn't work properly. Collision was different, I think skidding was slightly different too. New games would -as somebody else mentioned- have sound effects added for basic actions and other annoying things.

Ports are okay, complete remakes can be okay, but none of this half-way, in-between crap.

Actually, Super Mario Allstars was accurate 100% except for one thing:

In Super Mario Bros (and probably Lost Level too), Mario doesn't "rebound" from when he break a brick bloc over it's head. This is a big flaw but still doesn't compromise the gameplay. There's only a couple of "skill demonstrations" that i cannot do anymore but that's all.

ziran

Nay.

There's little need with Virtual Console coming soon.

Also, I'm not interested in farmed out updated ports and would rather have Nintendo's internal teams working on new games.

Qtopia

Banned
I have wanted a Zelda Allstars since I first bought Mario Allstars. Metroid would be great as well. I do not see Nintendo doing it though anytime soon atleast. The most feasible would be Zelda IMO but still doubtful. Wishful thinking FTW!

I want NEW games and only NEW games. No more ports, remakes, all-stars, or any other crap. Just throw all the old games up for download on the VC and put your effort into NEW games, Nintendo.

chrysostom said:
I want NEW games and only NEW games. No more ports, remakes, all-stars, or any other crap. Just throw all the old games up for download on the VC and put your effort into NEW games, Nintendo.
They're planning on it.

It wouldn't happen because Nintendo likes to add individual polish to their remakes like in Zero Mission and LeafGreen(didn't play it but assuming).

In general giving games a uniform engine would take away the individualism of each entry. Also making a franchise use all the same engine would likely make added mechanics in later releases less pronounced.

Pikelet

In Super Mario Bros (and probably Lost Level too), Mario doesn't "rebound" from when he break a brick bloc over it's head. This is a big flaw but still doesn't compromise the gameplay. There's only a couple of "skill demonstrations" that i cannot do anymore but that's all.
Yeah i remember this aswell. Imo the original smb had by far the best physics out of all the 2d marios. smb2 sucked ass in that department and smb3/world where merely OK. Smb is a game i definetely do not want remade. Original port please, and besides, isnt half the point of the virtual console for nostalgia?

Pikelet said:
Yeah i remember this aswell. Imo the original smb had by far the best physics out of all the 2d marios. smb2 sucked ass in that department and smb3/world where merely OK. Smb is a game i definetely do not want remade. Original port please, and besides, isnt half the point of the virtual console for nostalgia?

There's nothing wrong with offering 2-3 different versions on an online service.

After all, on iTunes I can buy remixes of a song or the original or both ... it comes down to my personal preference.

That's the great thing about an online distribution service, there's no physical storeshelf space or retailers to worry about.

I think what Nintendo will find if they do something like this is that many people will buy the original and the updated versions.

I really feel, even moreso than Sony/MS' services, because of Nintendo core, rabid fanbase that the Nintendo WiFi distribution service will eventually become a huge part of their overall business/software sales.

Not only classic games, but new "low-budget" games as Iwata has mentioned, and also the availibility of games like Mother 3, Electroplankton, Starfi, etc. that in the past would be Japan-only will now be translated to English at least for Nintendo WiFi shoppers.

I would eventually like to see Nintendo's WiFi service have a "museum lobby" type of thing where you can browse titles, see what year they were released in, and also look up Nintendo characters and what not.

ZeoVGM

Banned
oh, i thought this thread was going to be about something else. like "no more Mario Kart, Nintendo should do Super Smash Kart on Wii with all Nintendo characters"

that would rock.

oh but uh, yeah i agree with this thread too

Top Bottom