• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can't play everything.

Curious as to why you went from PC to console? I play on both, but more and more because of my job, I don't want to sit at a desk anymore in the evenings when I play stuff so I've been playing on consoles and handhelds a LOT more.
That's exactly the reason why I switched to console gaming (PS5, Switch and XSX). I've been working from home for the past 4 years, and like you, sitting at a desk for at least 9 hours from Monday to Friday made PC gaming less enjoyable than it used to be.

Mind you that even though I was primary a PC gamer, I already owned both a PS4 and an Xbox One last generation. However, they were secondary gaming devices that I used for playing their respective exclusives.
And as much as I love PC gaming, there's something to be said about dedicated hardware. On PC, I'm more than likely going to fire up YouTube on the other monitor while I play stuff. Have GAF open. Get distracted, etc.
Same here, just replace Gaf with reddit, discord, twitter, etc.
Sometimes it feels good to get away from that. Hell, I'll even go to the extent of turning my phone off and disconnecting my PS5/Switch from the internet while I play.

Makes it feel like the early 90's again lol.
I feel you. The Switch is already mostly an offline console to me and I play on it most of the time while in portable mode. Have the OLED model and I love gaming on it!

Last edited:

Catphish

Angry I Can Do It GIF by hero0fwar

A lot of modern games are mechanically competent trash so I find it really easy to avoid getting hyped for most new games. Dare I say that the state of the industry is a great thing for our backlogs...

That said, there's plenty of retro games that I haven't played, or I pick up recommendations from others for games I normally wouldn't try. It's made gaming a lot more enjoyable, there's no pressure, I just play what I like.

Most JRPGs are pretty bad, along with being excessively long. I love the genre but I can pretty much just stick to Final Fantasy, Persona, and Dragon Quest at this point, been let down by way too many others. That new Atlus one coming out Metaphor looks really good too, basically a Persona game though.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Backlogged helps me a lot. I used to chase 100% completion in games, but with less time these days, I prioritize shorter experiences to avoid getting stuck on a single title. This lets me enjoy more games without the burnout of excessive completionism.

Also hitting the credits and moving on is a great way to experience a wider variety of games. While I appreciate those who enjoy annual franchises like FIFA or CoD, focusing on shorter adventures allows me to explore more gaming worlds and stories. (HLTB, whoever you’re. Thank you, greatly).

Top Bottom