• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You think opening up a LAN house is a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul777

Banned
I've been thinking about some business ideas, and owning a LAN house is something I could really enjoy. There also doesn't seem to be a lot of competition around. Financing wouldn't be a problem, I think -- I have a reasonable amount of cash in the bank and my dad's got great credit for a loan. Location could be tricky. I don't know how dificult a good mall location would be to get. I live in south california, btw.

Ya think trying this would be a smart move? Any feedback would good.

Doth Togo

Licensing agreements are a pain in the ass and are VERY EXPENSIVE. If you operate without a license, each game publisher who's game you're offering can sue you for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A fine line you will walk with this business venture.

Doth Togo

Well, not me. The publishers have other hired guns to handle licensing deals.

Believe me, it's a very expensive legal mess. If I was an attorney handling these kinds of deals, I'd be a very wealthy person.

paul777

Banned
I did not know you have to pay licensing fees. That sucks. My only experience with LAN houses comes from brazil, and they don't pay for shit there. Most of the games are pirated anyway. I naively expected it to be the same here minus the pirating.

Doth Togo

darscot said:
Avoid the legal problem all together and go underground with a LAN slash Brothel.

This is commonly done in parts of Montreal.

Ask me how I know... Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

darscot

Doth Togo said:
This is commonly done in parts of Montreal.

Ask me how I know... Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

LOL, a friend of mine just opened a house of ill repute in Vancouver.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I fail to understand how these things make profit honestly. I mean the ones around here cost like 3 bucks an hour to use. It must take ages to make profit.

paul777

Banned
It's commonly spoken in English. Many English words and terms have been assimilated into Brazilian culture without actual translation. "LAN house" is one of them.

retardboy

Haha, we asians call it a PC Bang. Anyways, in California, they used to be popular like a couple years ago. They're closing down now though. Nobody really goes to them anymore so I don't think it's a real good idea. About a month ago, a real popular one that I used to go to (never paid since friend worked there) closed down. Seems like a dying business to me.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm actually doing a business proposal for something similar here in DC. The money is there, I just need to get an artist for the concept sketches, find a location and finalize the numbers/margins.

I was actually going to ask a couple of you if you'd be interested in consulting and what not, but many of you guys seem too preoccupied. This thing has to succeed. Can't screw up.

Doth Togo

DaCocoBrova said:
I'm actually doing a business proposal for something similar here in DC. The money is there, I just need to get an artist for the concept sketches, find a location and finalize the numbers/margins.

I was actually going to ask a couple of you if you'd be interested in consulting and what not, but many of you guys seem too preoccupied. This thing has to succeed. Can't screw up.

Ben 'n Moes tried to do that here in Dupont/Farraghut next to Five, 1223 and 18th Street Lounge. They lasted all of a year.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^

HA!

My man just told me there was a spot next to 1223 that did that. I went (I'm there every Wednesday just about) last week and didn't see it.

Did you ever go? How was it? I know the rent killed 'em. Had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom