• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite Ron Howard (as director) film?

GeekyDad

Love 'em or "not so much" 'em, the guy has made a lot of notable movies. He's kinda faded away for me personally since he did The Da Vinci Code (oy). But he's also made some of my personal favorites. They're perhaps not the greatest movies if you're judging by certain standards. I just mean in terms of what moves/inspires you etc.

For me, it's probably The Paper, with Backdraft a close second (and trust me, I know how silly the movie can be at times, but damn, if it doesn't have its moment; and those moments really hit it for me). I also still go back to Apollo 13 from time to time. Thought the cast was spot-on with that one -- all entertaining.

Melon Husk

After Frost/Nixon he's been meh... I really should check out his older stuff.

While I can't claim to have seen all of his work, Apollo 13 is always a thrill despite knowing what happens. Second place goes to A Beautiful Mind - just as impactful but less rewatchable.

nush

Far and Away.

4831-576a.jpg

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Parenthood is still a fun watch and Rush is a great film to show off a home cinema sound system, but my favourite would be Frost/Nixon. I'm just a sucker for historical films with strong performances.

nush

Man, I watched that countless times when it first came to cable/video, but I was quite a bit younger. Not sure I could go back to that one again.

But...maybe out of curiosity to see how it holds up.
Same here, I just remember it was great looking.

Ionian

Man, I watched that countless times when it first came to cable/video, but I was quite a bit younger. Not sure I could go back to that one again.

But...maybe out of curiosity to see how it holds up.

ISn;t that the one with seiously cringe-inducing Irish accents with Tom Cruise.

Was absolutely dire but funny to laugh at the accent, was a joke of an attempt.

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
LMAO Kidman is kinda OK, Crusie is just American satire of an acccent.

Don't know a single Irish person that thought he was convincing, just hilariously bad.
Speaking as a native Irish, it is not convincing. The weird thing is, Tom is actually of Irish descent.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Splash and Apollo 13.....the others aren't even close. Willow has some good moments, Backdraft, Ransom, and (for me) The Missing are all good ones.

And HOLY SHIT he is doing Stephenson's SEVENEVES!!! No fucking way that one comes out even close to the book. Wonder if Neil Degrasse Tyson gets an extensive cameo :)

Gp1

Apollo 13 and Rush first. Beautiful Mind on a close second place.

Together with Bryce Dallas are the best things that the man did.

I still dream with a Senna vs Prost version of Rush.

MacReady13

I have always loved EdTV and found it to be a very underrated and under appreciated film. His best though is probably Ransom. Tense and effective thriller. Although maybe Willow is up there too...

GeekyDad

Splash and Apollo 13.....the others aren't even close. Willow has some good moments, Backdraft, Ransom, and (for me) The Missing are all good ones.

And HOLY SHIT he is doing Stephenson's SEVENEVES!!! No fucking way that one comes out even close to the book. Wonder if Neil Degrasse Tyson gets an extensive cameo :)

my favs,

3. Apollo 13
2. rush
1. a beautiful mind ,

I need to see the paper and parenthood it sounds like =]
Yeah, definitely go back and check out The Paper.

pramod

Banned
Rush followed by Apollo 13.

My thing with Ron Howard is I'm still not sure if he's really a great director or he just happens to always work with amazing scripts and actors.

Last edited:

Ionian

Genuinely never knew he directed most of those classic films.

Just remember him from 'Happy Days' and 'arrested development'

Was pleasantly surprised.

The last movie of his I’d enjoyed was Rush. My favorites to rewatch would be Willow, Cinderella Man, and Apollo 13. I would say Apollo 13 edges out Beautiful Mind for his best work.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
For whatever reason, I thought Howard did Roger Rabbit. That was Zemeckis. Apollo 13 is his best work I think but Willow is tops for me. Willow is probably a top 25 movie for me. Loved it as a kid.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Rush. I haven't seen any of the Dan Brown movies.

GeekyDad

Well, I'll have to watch Rush. I've never seen it, and it didn't look like something I'd be into (and still doesn't, to be honest). But so many folks seem praise it here. And, I just looked it up, and it looks like Hans Zimmer did the music for it. I'm a huge fan of his stuff.

Top Bottom