• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're in a public setting. Two nearby strangers are having a conversation about something you're really interested in talking about. Do you jump in?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm curious on what you do in this type of situation. It can be any type of setting. School, work, out and about, at some type of a party or gathering, etc. Two people nearby you don't know are discussing something that's really interesting to you or you have very strong opinions about. Do you mind your own business or do you just jump into the conversation?

I'm typically an introvert who likes to mind my own business, but I've done both in my life. In fact, I've actually met some people I now call friends by either doing it myself or having others do it to my conversations. Of course there are instances where it can backfire and the people tell you to mind your own business. I don't do it a ton, but I'd say of the times in my life I've done it or it's happened to me, it's actually gone well far more often than not. Maybe that's because it was never about politics :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just curious on how you handle these situations and what you think the etiquette is.

Last edited:

Dunki

depends on the place and situation but mostly no not really. For example in a work environment or school setting more likely especially in the first few days or weeks. But not open in public. The topic is also important. Politics or Religion? NO fucking way^^

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm curious on what you do in this type of situation. It can be any type of setting. School, work, out and about, at some type of a party or gathering, etc. Two people nearby you don't know are discussing something that's really interesting to you or you have very strong opinions about. Do you mind your own business or do you just jump into the conversation?

I'm typically an introvert who likes to mind my own business, but I've done both in my life. In fact, I've actually met some people I now call friends by either doing it myself or having others do it to my conversations. Of course there are instances where it can backfire and the people tell you to mind your own business. I don't do it a ton, but I'd say of the times in my life I've done it or it's happened to me, it's actually gone well far more often than not. Maybe that's because it was never about politics :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just curious on how you handle these situations and what you think the etiquette is.
I did this from time to time when I worked in retail. It’s easy pickings when they walk into your domain, and you still have to pick your moments, but it’s a great way to pass the time.

Retail is shit in terms of nearly everything, but it helps build confidence in people. I also think if they made it a national service people would be less shitty customers, but that’s a another topic for another day.

nush

I did this from time to time when I worked in retail. It’s easy pickings when they walk into your domain, and you still have to pick your moments, but it’s a great way to pass the time.

Retail is shit in terms of nearly everything, but it helps build confidence in people. I also think if they made it a national service people would be less shitty customers, but that’s a another topic for another day.

I was just going to use that as an example of where I have. I think the last time I did it I was in the gas company store and there was an older person being offered two types of gas meter by the staff there. The old person had no idea what one to choose or could really understand what the features of each model did, so I stepped in and said one of the meters was the same as I had and it was reliable and had given me no problems.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hardly ever in public. But a few times I did. If it's friends or coworkers all the time if its a fun conversation.

1. During the 360 era, I was at an EB and a mom and teen were talking about RPGs and the clerk told them Two Worlds is a great game. Asshat. I jumped in and said it's crap and get Oblivion instead.

2. Got new glasses lately at the optician. Laser eye doesn't last forever. Turns out they have a buy 2 get 1 free on certain brands. A few weeks earlier the fucking place didn't even know the promotion was going on till I checked out, so they said for the same price go pick another pair...... "Oh, the system says it's on promo". Retard. So I decided to get a pair of prescription sunglasses too.

A few weeks pass and I pick them up. Some random guy I could tell is new to glasses is looking around, talking with the worker in the white lab coat and selling him a pair of specs for $300+. When the store guy walked away I told him there's a deal going on where if you pick certain brands, you can do 2 for 1. Do what I did and get a pair of each, and he thanked me for the tip and was going to follow what I did, as the pair he was thinking about wasnt part of the promo.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

I did this on a video game forum one time, that's how I got perma-banned from Resetera! Ba-dum-tiss.

Honestly, yeah I like nerd shit, so if I hear some fellow nerds geeking out, I involve myself lol

Sevenfold

I did this on a video game forum one time, that's how I got perma-banned from Resetera! Ba-dum-tiss.

Honestly, yeah I like nerd shit, so if I hear some fellow nerds geeking out, I involve myself lol
I wished death on Trump for my perm :D

I butt in all the time. I just point at my ears and say "Can't turn 'em off"

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
BBABD7C0B5C6C95B6308DC9E730F92558E854B5B

GymWolf

Sure, it happen sometimes, i'm not really a shy or socially akward individual and i love to talk.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Nah, would only do it if I can hear they're having a problem with something and I can tell them what to do / where to go, stuff like that

Radrigal

Fuck no. I'm not an ill-mannered fuckwad.

I mean just imagine it reversed. You and your buddy talking about The Matrix Revolutions and some stranger the both of you don't know starts to butt in your conversation. At minimum Imma give you weird looks and the side-eye.

If it's to help a visibly distressed person that could use some help like others have said above, sure.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Sometimes yeah, but it's mostly only when I know what I'm going to say is going to be helpful, not just to be part of the conversation.

I remember one time I was at an electronics store and some guy started asking the employees if they sold those dvi to vga adaptors, they didn't.
I happened to have one on me cause of a school project, and since I had a bunch of them at home cause of videocards, I just interjected with "you mean something like this?", and just gave it to him.

MDSLKTR

I remember when Death Stranding released I was walking from work and overheard those two dudes behind me talk about a delivery simulator that felt like work. I iinstantly turned and asked they were talking about that stupid game. Short conversation and laughs, felt meta. Wonder if they were gaffers (cryptoadam?)

KielCasto

Sure, in my head.

Oh, you mean actually talking to them? Never. I sometimes start small talk but I don't join in. I'm afraid I might not understand the context of their conversation and make myself look like an idiot.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I should not jump in on conversations, but I do it all the time, at work, at a park, or just out and about. I do not jump in at restaurants.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What kind of Karen or awkward fuck would you have to be to butt in other peoples conversations? Thats cringe af. If you're invited and/or asked to join then thats fine but fuck off if they're ignoring you.

Moogle11

Banned
Usually not. Older I get the more introverted I get and the less interest I have for small talk or making new friends etc.

But still do it occasionally when sitting at a bar or whatever, but of course those are times I’m craving a little socialization since I went to have a couple drinks in public vs. staying home. As others notes, of course I wouldn't jump into personal conversations and avoid politics, religion etc. as I don't care about other's opinions on something. Jumping in a bar converstation is usually something about sports, craft beer etc.

Last edited:

quickwhips

DragoonKain DragoonKain I love your post but you never mind your business. You always gossiping about me and other neighbors to gaf.

Dark Star

Depends on the setting/situation and topic. Entertainment/sports/music/movies/video games/hobby related? Jump in. Politics/religion/controversial news? Avoid.

At college I actually made some really good friends because they decided to jump into the conversation. It was like the 2nd day of my Physical Geology class and I was discussing metal bands with this one dude, and then another guy walked up to me and commented on my shirt (The Faceless) and we all got along immediately lol. We ended up hanging out and going to concerts and stuff during that semester.

I'm pretty introverted, so I usually mind my own business, but sometimes I'll overhear someone talking about a band/artist/video game/show/movie/etc I really like, and I'll just have to stop and chat. This usually happened at house parties with a bunch of randoms, but we're all there to meet new people and talk about things, so it's cool. I mean, you can talk about politics or some deep philosophy if you're around like minded people at a party, and you might even disagree with their stance on a topic, but it's an easy way to make friends if you're both reasonable and accepting of differing opinions.

Pre-COVID, one time I saw a girl wearing a Deftones shirt at the grocery story so I walked by her and said "Hey I like your shirt" and she was cool and actually started discussing songs/albums with me in the middle of an aisle lol. Similar thing happened at a restaurant while waiting for an order, just started chatting with a stranger about music because he commented on my band tee.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
It really depends on the situation and what kind of people the two are that discuss. (i mean my subjective feeling toward them; if they seem to be nice people)
But 9/10 times i would just stick to myself.

xrnzaaas

Hell naw, unless this a family / friends gathering and I have something meaningful to add I don't interrupt.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Probably not.

200.gif

Just randomly approaching people in public is weird. Or maybe I'm just weird, one of the two. I would be more open to the idea in a setting where I'm somewhat familiar with some people even if it's in passing, like I was during my school days.

matt360

When I lived in the states I would do this all the time, but I'd try to read things first. Would it make the conversation more interesting for everyone, or just for me? Do the people look friendly? That kind of stuff. But I hardly ever do it here in Japan.

The last time I did something like that was at the immigration office in Osaka, there were a couple other Americans in the waiting room talking to each other. I gathered that they were both from Florida and interjected that I'm also from Florida, which they found really amusing. Three guys from Florida in an immigration office in Osaka on a random weekday.

Arkam

Probably. As a someone who use to sit on a barstool five nights a week pre-covid, I talked to a LOT of random people. I would jump into other's conversations and people would jump into mine. Socialization for the win!

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
When I lived in the states I would do this all the time, but I'd try to read things first. Would it make the conversation more interesting for everyone, or just for me? Do the people look friendly? That kind of stuff. But I hardly ever do it here in Japan.

The last time I did something like that was at the immigration office in Osaka, there were a couple other Americans in the waiting room talking to each other. I gathered that they were both from Florida and interjected that I'm also from Florida, which they found really amusing. Three guys from Florida in an immigration office in Osaka on a random weekday.
Honestly, I would probably do it more in America. They would probably all be fascinated by my British accent, despite not understanding a word I just said and apparently women like it over there. So they say.

f11b8168458bbe8b938c35c57acd6c2b.gif

Top Bottom