• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - Review Thread

Modern Falcom PC launches are usually rocky (Trails SC had it surprisingly good because of how long XSEED spent on QA), but this seems like bad news so far. If the beta sample's encountering a lot of major/minor issues which need to be addressed for launch, just imagine how much this beta test isn't catching. That said, anyone breaking NDA has been real casual about what's iffy and I haven't seen details/stats yet. The programmers working to get this port ready don't deserve criticism or hate anyway.

Modern Falcom PC launches are usually rocky (Trails SC had it surprisingly good because of how long XSEED spent on QA), but this seems like bad news so far. If the beta sample's encountering a lot of major/minor issues which need to be addressed for launch, just imagine how much this beta test isn't catching. That said, anyone breaking NDA has been real casual about what's iffy and I haven't seen details/stats yet. The programmers working to get this port ready don't deserve criticism or hate anyway.
It seems like the port is quick and dirty, only so much you can do with that much limited time.

No reason to reward quick and dirty ports. Even the recent Ys Seven port, simple as it is, runs solid for almost all players (though it needs true arbitrary resolutions higher than 1080p). I'll wait and see how this PC launch turns out and whether or not NISA polishes Ys VIII.

Crunch2600

Neo Member
Never played an Ys game. I want a new Vita game and to be told a good story. Is this game for me? Combat looks pretty fun and I like the sound of the base/hub world. The Game Informer review makes the story and writing sound mediocre.

Never played an Ys game. I want a new Vita game and to be told a good story. Is this game for me? Combat looks pretty fun and I like the sound of the base/hub world. The Game Informer review makes the story and writing sound mediocre.
It's probably the best Vita release this year based on reviews/import impressions. If you want a Vita game, this is the one you should buy.

VIII apparently has a solid and engaging story (from its cast to its late-game revelations which the early-/mid-game build up to), but the localization's mediocre and seems to have dulled the appeal of the Japanese script. NISA hasn't done anything to how the game plays, though, and it plays very well. Game peforms good on Vita but I recommend getting it on PS4 and PC for significant new content that expands the story and adds new dungeons/defense missions. If portability trumps the definitive experience, stick with Vita...better to play it than wait for the better version but never get around.

sibarraz

Banned
I'm expecting this game next week, it saddens me to read that the pc version has a big chance of being at a sorry state at launch

Ogawa-san

I just noticed the preorder is up on Steam, now I see I shouldn't do it just yet. I wanted to be there on day 1, oh well.

I'm not picky, if someone reports it's exactly like the PS4 version I'll gladly pick it up.

Derkon

So how bad is the localization? Are we talking complete rewrites of lines or just NISA being a bit more liberal in the translation?

preta

So how bad is the localization? Are we talking complete rewrites of lines or just NISA being a bit more liberal in the translation.

Nothing like that at all. The problem is with how flat, dry and literal it is. They even made some area names sound less natural than their existing English names in the Japanese version, strangely enough, like changing Cape of White Sands to White Sand Cape and Crevice of the Archeozoic Era to Archeozoic Big Hole. There are also some mistranslations, although these are mostly comparatively minor things like calling a single coconut a Coco Palm (as it it were the whole tree), or using "variant" as an adjective to mean something akin to "strange".

It's not unreadable but it is definitely a significant step down from the previous localizations in the series.

Derkon

Nothing like that at all. The problem is with how flat, dry and literal it is. They even made some area names sound less natural than their existing English names in the Japanese version, strangely enough, like changing Cape of White Sands to White Sand Cape and Crevice of the Archeozoic Era to Archeozoic Big Hole. There are also some mistranslations, although these are mostly comparatively minor things like calling a single coconut a Coco Palm (as it it were the whole tree), or using "variant" as an adjective to mean something akin to "strange".

Oh ok, I think I can live with that. As long as NISA doesn't do dumb stuff like put pop culture references/memes in(like a couple of past Nintendo games I played) I'm ok.

preta

Oh ok, I think I can live with that. As long as NISA doesn't do dumb stuff like put pop culture references/memes in(like a couple of past Nintendo games I played) I'm ok.

I honestly don't understand why this is seemingly the number one concern of so many people with regard to localization. Would you not rather have a localization that's generally good while having one or a couple of these, as opposed to one that doesn't have them and isn't good anyway?

Derkon

I honestly don't understand why this is seemingly the number one concern of so many people with regard to localization. Would you not rather have a localization that's generally good while having one or a couple of these, as opposed to one that doesn't have them and isn't good anyway?

I don't understand Japanese so as long as the general idea of what was said gets across and I can follow the story I'm more or less OK. I understand translation isn't an exactly easy thing when it comes to Japanese so I don't get to upset over it.

preta

I am pretty curious about this. Got a link to anything?

Unfortunately no. I only know about it because I already knew someone who's now working on it - I have no idea if there's any info about it posted anywhere.

Ya know I did just cancel a preorder and Ys7 is my favorite action RPG of all time. Hmmmmmmm

Do it. VIII dramatically improves upon Seven in virtually every way except maybe music (and localization). You won't regret it.

Damn. Just pre-ordered. Didn't realize it was coming out already. Just about to wrap up Yakuza Kiwami so I need something new to play anyhow.

LegendOfAB

Neo Member
Unfortunately no. I only know about it because I already knew someone who's now working on it - I have no idea if there's any info about it posted anywhere.

Aww, I did a couple of quick searches before asking you. Doesn't seem to be much/anything out there. I'll keep my eyes & ears open.

Never played a Ys game before and tried out the demo last week! Really enjoyed what I played since it reminded me of old PS2 RPGs for some reason so then I now got it pre-ordered! Really solid scores!

Rolling Start

Neo Member
Ys VIII is a good argument against direct dictionary translations.

Also what was up with characters saying 'splendid' all the time? Splendid splendid splendid

sibarraz

Banned
Hope that the PC versión is at a playable state at release

If this version is bad, then the Nisa deal would have serve no purpose

So finally got my "pre-order" for Ys VIII (and it's a lesson learned).

I had pre-ordered Ys VIII directly from NISAmerica. Problem was I'd also preordered Culdcept Revolt at the same time. When I did the pre-order, Culdcept was supposed to come out at the end of August, with Ys coming out in September. I knew about how the shipping policy worked, and I was OK on waiting on Culdcept. What I wasn't expecting was Culdcept getting pushed back to Oct 6th. Tried contacting NISA's customer service to see if I could do something to split the shipping. They never got back to me (so I'm a bit miffed at NISA's CS right now). I tried both email and phone.

So...I ended up having to wait for Culdcept's release to play Ys. I did get Culdcept a couple days before its official release, so I've put some time into both that and Ys.

Still, it's been harsh waiting. :(

Yes, I got limited editions of both games.

sibarraz

Banned
One great improvement over celceta, is that now is easier to complete the map, chests and harvest points since the game tells you in the UI how many of each is on that specific part of the map.

Also, the fact that when you 100% a zone, everything is clear, unlike celceta were sone parts still were a little foggy

Usobuko

Banned
One great improvement over celceta, is that now is easier to complete the map, chests and harvest points since the game tells you in the UI how many of each is on that specific part of the map.

Also, the fact that when you 100% a zone, everything is clear, unlike celceta were sone parts still were a little foggy

I'll never try to comb the entire map and dungeons for those pesky 2 missing chests again. I still can't find them lmao.

What a great qol addition.

Top Bottom