• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombie Army 4 - Switch vs PS4 - A Next-Level 'Impossible Port' - DF Tech Review

Bullet Club

Developer Rebellion's work on Switch has steadily improved with every port of its Sniper Elite series - culminating in the truly excellent open-world Sniper Elite 4. Today though we have Zombie Army 4, taxing the system with up to 100 on-screen zombies - giving the developer a brand new challenge in optimising for Switch's memory and CPU. Comparisons against PS4 show it's very much the complete package however, with a well held 30FPS lock and a 1080p target while docked.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Makes you wonder why those Pokemon games look and run so poorly
Not just Pokemon. I think the main problem is the budget of these projects. It just isn't interesting to work in game development if you're John Carmack-tier because you might as well make 300k a year working for FANG.
What remains are the average programmers, you and me, thrown at massive projects with some of the most difficult problems known in software development - 3D rendering, heavy optimizations, and low-level ARM/x86 programming.

lol if every port is impossible than surely its very possible.
30fps PS4 / Xbox One ports where they can't just half the framerate from 60fps and lower the resolution from 900p/1080p to sub 720p are almost impossible when you consider Switch has a mobile phone CPU from 2015, a sub 200gflop Nvidia GPU from 2015 and 3gigabytes of slow ass RAM while also being limited to mostly 16gb sd cards as storage medium.

TLZ

Banned
lol if every port is impossible than surely its very possible.
It's actually laughable this term, when you know the Switch was made with modern tools in mind and have it easily accessible to game engines for the very reason of making it VERY possible to port and make current games. It's just its hardware limitations that requires everything to be downgraded, which is exactly what we're seeing with all these ports.

If the tools weren't modern then I'd say yes porting would be harder, which isn't the case.

TLZ

Banned
30fps PS4 / Xbox One ports where they can't just half the framerate from 60fps and lower the resolution from 900p/1080p to sub 720p are almost impossible when you consider Switch has a mobile phone CPU from 2015, a sub 200gflop Nvidia GPU from 2015 and 3gigabytes of slow ass RAM while also being limited to mostly 16gb sd cards as storage medium.
Read my post. These are hardware limitations which is why you see the downgrades. The Switch still has a current toolset which makes easy to port games to. There's nothing impossible about it. In fact Nintendo made it this way to make things very possible and not impossible.

Read my post. These are hardware limitations which is why you see the downgrades. The Switch still has a current toolset which makes easy to port games to. There's nothing impossible about it. In fact Nintendo made it this way to make things very possible and not impossible.
Tools mean fuck all when all you have is 3GB of RAM, a 4 core ARM CPU and also have to build your games around the limitations of handheld mode (sub 200gflops GPU).

Playing down XBO/PS4 ports that already target 30fps where the games were designed around an 8 core CPU clocked 60% faster than Switch’s 4 core CPU, 2x (of much faster) RAM and a GPU with 6x the compute power is such a pathetic thing to get hung up over.

Of course nothing is “impossible” but it’s a fucking general term to describe ports of games which nobody (especially in 2017-2019) would dare imagine possible on Switch.

TLZ

Banned
Tools mean fuck all when all you have is 3GB of RAM, a 4 core ARM CPU and also have to build your games around the limitations of handheld mode (sub 200gflops GPU).

Playing down XBO/PS4 ports that already target 30fps where the games were designed around an 8 core CPU clocked 60% faster than Switch’s 4 core CPU, 2x (of much faster) RAM and a GPU with 6x the compute power is such a pathetic thing to get hung up over.

Of course nothing is “impossible” but it’s a fucking general term to describe ports of games which nobody (especially in 2017-2019) would dare imagine possible on Switch.
I seldom say this, but you're wrong. You don't know what you're talking about.

Top Bottom