• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50% of 118 Million PlayStation Users Sticking With PS4 Despite PS5 Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHA

I don't keep up with many games. lol. I'm behind on so many, but the ones I do get at launch I buy on PS4/PC/Switch. I will run my PS4 into the ground, and I will keep buying physical games for it until I pick up a PS5. I might even buy Metaphor: ReFantazio on PS4, the beauty of not caring about graphics. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
So you're relying on consistency, it's still hard for me to be consistent, I view consistency as a way to figure out the pattern to keep it going, I've only found it in gaas and Mmos, others are just hit and mess that just makes me distracted till I figure out the next game.

nial

It's funny seeing people thinking that this is somehow a huge problem that needs to be soon addressed, and not the natural course of two consoles in a row with similar sales trajectories.
Spoiler: PS5 will also hold ~50% of PSN userbase half into PS6's lifecycle.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Or: PS5 is very popular, and PS4 also remains very popular despite being 11 years old. That thing sure made an impact on people!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony has to do a much better job, 50% on previous gen hardware is a lot, think about the most recent cod being on there, assassins creed all those games, you’re gonna have the latest destiny expansion on ps4.

KaiserBecks

I wonder how many of those active users are using multiple accounts. I have 3 active PSN accounts on PS4, I'd imagine that is reflected in that data, which means it doesn't really tell us much.

The same thing could be applied to PSN accounts on PS5 though.

It is the DUTY of the platform holder, to release exclusive next gen games on their new console. Third party games will be cross-gen forever and a day if they could get away with it. No one would buy a new console unless they get a reason to. And without people buying the console the developers wouldn't make the games for it. Classic Chicken and egg.

it is on Sony to release AAA games that can only be run on PS5, that people desperately want to play. That is the only answer to convert people to PS5 and break the loop, and always had been.

Mozza

Diminishing returns are a factor in this, as outside of the core hobby gamers, the new machine whilst powerful, does not offer that much of an upgrade for the more casual owners, a lot may be waiting gor the inevitable price cut.

Three

I wonder how many of those active users are using multiple accounts. I have 3 active PSN accounts on PS4, I'd imagine that is reflected in that data, which means it doesn't really tell us much.
Do you login with every account every month? If not then it isn't reflected if you do then yes it is.

Maybe those PS4 owners are still playing one or more of the 4 or 5 games that are backward compatible on PS5? Otherwise, I cannot understand why they would not want to upgrade since the console runs everything else just fine. I guess it may be too expensive for them?

Last edited:

pasterpl

Not surprising, there are not many really next gen experiences/games available. Lots of remakes and remasters, this gen change didn’t provide a quality jump many was expecting. Just to be clear, this applies to both MS and Sony. If you have got $$$ you buy gaming PC for $5-6k and play games on max detail and in 100+ fps with path tracing etc. (Only couple games offer this sort of level of quality and polish) then you will get that level of experience and quality we were all hoping for with this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom