• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you still investing in the Xbox ecosystem?

Will you spend money on XBOX ?

• Total voters

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ok, so whenever you need to do this you can pay for a month and cancel
Yes, and @ £7 a month if I do that for every console swap or to assist in trophy hunting to avoid additional play throughs it would add up to a completely unacceptable amount of money.

The actual answer is Sony should have a separate subscription for cloud saves and it should be £1 a month max rather than trying to bum its paying customers.

I’m not saying it’s a great policy but I’ve seen way fucking worse over on nintendo for countless things
Feel free to humour me but in 2024 I use my console to play good games and pay £24 a year to access cloud saves and N64 games. There’s not really much more I want and there’s nothing that’s leaving me asking ‘why’. If that’s different for you then fair enough.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Yes, and @ £7 a month if I do that for every console swap or to assist in trophy hunting to avoid additional play throughs it would add up to a completely unacceptable amount of money.

The actual answer is Sony should have a separate subscription for cloud saves and it should be £1 a month max rather than trying to bum its paying customers.

Feel free to humour me but in 2024 I use my console to play good games and pay £24 a year to access cloud saves and N64 games. There’s not really much more I want and there’s nothing that’s leaving me asking ‘why’. If that’s different for you then fair enough.

Yeah I don’t sub to their service to play 30 year old ROMs on their janky UI

They charge full price for remakes that hardly constitute anything more than a barely noticeable rez bump.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
MOeGvNZ.jpeg

Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping , you dirty fucking traitor.

Beechos

Yes, last one I bought last week was Back4Blood, all dlc, for only 6,99 euros (w/ rewards). Pretty funny for me, and with 'Xbox Play Anywhere' feature included. I played 4 acts in console, and this week (I'm out of home due to work), I played the last 2 acts in my Notebook.
This is why I prefer the xbox ecosystem. Not only that when you load the game you don't have to do any other bs. It will automatically download/load your saved data from the cloud not matter if you playing on pc/xbox/xcloud.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The only way Microsoft will get money from me is if they put the original gears of war trilogy on stream.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I am buying less and less. The last thing I bought was a BC Xbox 360 game in March for 5 bucks because I didn't want to risk missing out if it didn't make it through the 360 Marketplace shutdown. Before that the last game I bought there was back in August 2023. Most of my spending in the past year has been for Switch and PS5, plus some Steam double dips.

Last edited:
For me I’m not investing in Gamepass, Xbox or the Microsoft store until Microsoft show me commitment to gaming…I lost all confidence in them for now.
Yes as as long as they make good games. Xbox games like Forza Horizon, Grounded and Sea of Thieves. Bethesda games like Starfield, Skyrim whatever ID is working on and hopefully Indiana Jones turns out good. And Activision blizzard games like WoW, Overwatch, Diablo and hopefully the rumors of new Starcraft. Basically Microsoft has too many IPs for me not to care.

I'm a multiplat gamer but my main platform is PC and all MS games are PC games so yea I'll be investing in them either on Steam or Gamepass. I just hope whatever they do put out turns out good.

Last edited:

MikeM

Sold my Series X a few years ago. Great machine with terrible first party support. No real exclusives since everything comes to PC day 1.

Been PC mainly now. PS5 here and there.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah I don’t sub to their service to play 30 year old ROMs on their janky UI

They charge full price for remakes that hardly constitute anything more than a barely noticeable rez bump.
I’m going to go to bed but re: ROMS I’ll simply direct you to your earlier post aimed at me in relation to subscribing to PS Plus for cloud saves: don’t subscribe then?

And full price for low effort remakes, again, don’t buy them? But this is particularly funny considering the context that you’re defending Sony here who released:
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • The Last of Us Part 1
  • The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered
  • Death Stranding Director’s Cut
  • Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut
  • Spider-Man Remastered
  • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection
And are rumoured to be working on Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered.

Christ on a bike let’s be real please.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I’m going to go to bed but re: ROMS I’ll simply direct you to your earlier post aimed at me in relation to subscribing to PS Plus for cloud saves: don’t subscribe then?

And full price for low effort remakes, again, don’t buy them? But this is particularly funny considering the context that you’re defending Sony here who released:
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • The Last of Us Part 1
  • The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered
  • Death Stranding Director’s Cut
  • Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut
  • Spider-Man Remastered
  • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection
And are rumoured to be working on Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered.

Christ on a bike let’s be real please.

Christ, yes, let's get real! Context matters

I wasn't complaining about remakes in general. Nintendo charges for them all. At full retail prices. Many of those remastered games on your list I either got for free or it was $10 to upgrade.

And charging a monthly sub for 30 year old ROMs of games I already owned? Yeah, such consumer friendly practices in addition to the 2 gens old hardware.

Well since I got my first Xbox last Dec (series x was free with internet plan), I invested quite a lot in all the older xb(og) and x360 games I missed or played on ps4. Some expensive disk (Thanks for delisting assholes) and some digital. Everything on sale. For example getting ninja gaiden 2 for $8 when it is $30 on the store. Getting most digital games for 2-4.99.

Right now I'm just waiting for mirrors edge (360) to go on sale as it never is (14 is too much), and mercenaries 1 to go on sale too.. I have grabbed everything else except gears 2-4 (have gears 1 remake and have gears 5 on pc). Also got Grim Dawn and star point gemini on the x(had them on pc already) as they aren't on playstation.

I did buy starfield and rebaught baldurs gate on Xbox because my ps5 is running out of space (you would think 2tb ssd and 5tb hdd would be enough) so got dragons dogma 2 on ps5, and unicorn overlord on switch.

I will buy a game there if it is an exclusive, on sale or something I really want.

Nope, sold my Series X last year, despite having 150+ games in my library. The lack of heavy hitting exclusives, focus on game pass, general strategy, leadership and pay to play online all combined just pushed me away completely.

I'll play PS5 for anything I really want on console, otherwise Steam Deck and PC for me now.
That makes no sense and honestly is a stupid move. You have games you bought 150 games why let that go away because you are mad at x system? (which is just weird to say). Play the games keep the system and just don't buy new stuff. They already got your money you just pissed it away.

I won't be buying any more "Live Service" games like Redfall, since Microsoft has signaled that they will eventually take my purchases away from me. But I'll still buy offline-capable games for Xbox. I don't subscribe to Gamepass.
Need more information about what the next console will be.
Buying any live service games is dumb. It one gives them numbers to make more of that shit, 2 not just ms closes online servers down.

bender

What time is it?
I'm planning on letting my Game Pass lapse when it expires in October. There just isn't enough time in he day and it never lets me dent my other backlogs. Game Pass and backward compatibility were my main reasons for upgrading to a Series X when my One X kicked the bucket. I'll keep it around for the excellent backwards compatibility but this has to be the least I've supported any hardware ever as I've only purchased FH5, MS Flight Sim, and the Dead Space Remake (only because it was dirt cheap). I'm also not interested in Xbox hardware moving forward.

AGRacing

I voted yes… but it is conditional.

If there aren’t exclusive experiences on the platform anymore in the future.. it has to be a no.

If they want to transition the box itself into a windows console… like a steam deck for TV. Yes.

If they want to axe leadership and leverage their IP to grow the platform in a more traditional way.. Yes.

If they’re truly doing what we believe they are.. the question won’t matter. “Xbox” won’t be a platform in 3 years.

Truly unfortunate. A new leader needs to hit the reset button. Get rid of the corpo shit speak. Give us J Allard demoing a new console on the floor.

Nope, even when I subbed for a bit to Game Pass, it was for the selection on PC. I haven't purchased anything Xbox since the late 2000s when the 360 was top dog. Haven't seen a point to it in nearly 15 years.

Mr.Phoenix

I would think yes. I currently spend about $40 every year on them to rent whatever they have for that year. On years that is worth spending. Basically about 2 months of gamepass.

That may change when they start making everything available on PS. But even then, it's hard to argue with spending $40 to play them on my PC vs spending $50-$70/game to buy them for the PS5.

Now only if the have a gamepass for Playstation that has only MS stuff on it. Come sony and MS... make it happen.

Elginer

My main console is the Xbox both S and X and I love the system software and ecosystem much more than Sony's this generation. The BC has been a huge thing for me and I hope that MS continues to invest in the user experience. Something that I feel is lacking on the PS5. Even if more games go multiplat I just prefer the software and the controller on Xbox. I have a PS5 as well but mostly use it for Japanese exclusives which may be a thing of the past with it seems everyone wanting to go mp.

Trogdor1123

got another year of ultimate left. I’ll think about dropping it. My kids like gamepass a fair bit but I’d push them all to pc if I could jailbreak my series s.

To be fair, the Xbox ecosystem has burned me one fewer times than Sony's...and two fewer times than Nintendo's.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

I have Game Pass on PC, but never bought anything since the games I wanted to play are free (mainly Horizon and some Halo). But if all exclusives eventually go PS as well, I'll cancel, of course, as I mainly play on PS.

Havoc2049

Yes. I have Game Pass Ultimate and game on my Series X, PC and cloud. I'm looking forward to Hellblade 2 in a few days and Indiana Jones, Starfield DLC and Avowed later this year. I also play Halo and Sea of Thieves all the time. If there is no new Xbox hardware, then I'll just switch over to PC.

WorldHero

My Series X is basically a Game Pass machine. I’m maxed out right now but will carefully evaluate things when it expires. I do not think I will purchase anymore Xbox hardware after this gen.

nordique

Well, I have game pass until 2026 so yes for now lol

I think I’ll always keep the series X it has tons of purchased games going back to 360 etc on it and the up scaling is great

Moving forward, they’re really going have to sell me on their vision

If it’s just third party then what’s the point

Fredrik

I buy their Steam games, same as with Sony. I’m out of console gaming except Nintendo.

Might sign up for a short Gamepass sub to play Hellblade 2 though. Depends how it reviews.

DavidGzz

I mean, they have a store on PC and soon they will allow cloud access to said library. Not sure what we are afraid of.

Zuzu

Yes, I’ll most likely still invest in it because I still like hardware/software experience more than the Playstation. The Elite controller is far better than the PS5 controller for me. I like quick resume, Gamepass, and the better VRR implementation. It’s also my preferred multiplayer system for various reasons. Those are the main factors for why, all things being equal, I’ll purchase a game on my Xbox over my PS5. But if I get a PS5 Pro my purchases on Xbox will decrease because the performance and visuals will be better on the Sony console so I’ll go for that over the benefits of the Series X.

But I hope they’ll bring a powerhouse console in 2026 and then I’ll switch back to buying most games on that instead. I don’t think we need worry too much about our game libraries disappearing if they decide to stop making consoles in the future. I think they’ll transfer/emulate the whole Xbox ecosystem over to PC and the cloud so that we can access our games for the longterm future. I don’t think they’re just going to close everything down and make it inaccessible.

ahtlas7

I don’t use anything Xbox. I even use a Dualsense on my PC. That’s a big change from 4-5 years ago when I was a huge fan. Don’t get me wrong, I’m done with PS too.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ll keep playing on GamePass, likely throughout this gen. But after that I’d say no, depending on where things go.

I mean, if I’ll be able to play both MS “exclusives” and PlayStation exclusives on PlayStation 6, I see no reason to keep going with Xbox.

Murdoch

As it stands it's pretty difficult to see me investing in hardware moving forwards. All my friends are on the platform though so it's impossible for me to jettison Xbox entirely when my IRL friends group use it to bridge the location gap for a chat. As a CONSUMER I couldn't be happier with gamepass however. There is absolutely a price ceiling that they are starting to bump up against in terms of cost so it's a slippery slope.

I got my Series X used for cheap last year and mostly I have old 360/Live Arcade titles on it. The arcade titles were all bought on deep discount and the vast majority of 360 titles were claimed 'free' when I was subbed to Live gold a decade ago. The only current gen game I bought was Dead Space remake for $8 via a $1 gamepass trial last Xmas.

I've got like $50 credit on my MS account and I'll probably use the vast majority of it for play anywhere titles, and maybe there's a July firesale on 360 titles that I'll grab a few. At this point they already have the money, but in saying all that the point being I really don't have a ton of money tied up in the Xbox ecosystem like I do Steam or PlayStation.

But overall, going forward any money I give MS will be via Steam. I won't be dumping more money into my Xbox/MS account. I'll keep the Series X around as a legacy system and media device.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
I have gamepass until 2026 because I did the old stack trick but I honestly won't buy another console from them since everything lands on pc.

However the collector in me will probably buy a system when I see it years from now.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Christ, yes, let's get real! Context matters

I wasn't complaining about remakes in general. Nintendo charges for them all. At full retail prices. Many of those remastered games on your list I either got for free or it was $10 to upgrade.
You got the ‘upgraded’ versions for £10, because you already own the games. For anyone else these are full priced ‘remasters’ with the bare minimum in terms of upgrades. They should have been free upgrades for existing owners.

TLoU Part II was regularly £8 through PSN and the new ‘remaster’ launched at £45. Oh and guess what, since the launch of the ‘remaster’ neither version has been on sale once. Good old consumer friendly Sony :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tK4X5bo.jpeg

LuTGIKV.jpeg

And charging a monthly sub for 30 year old ROMs of games I already owned? Yeah, such consumer friendly practices in addition to the 2 gens old hardware.
You have the option of paying £12 a year if you just want the cloud saves. With Sony you don’t, and the same argument can be put towards PS+ games in that you’re paying £60 a year for old games in most cases, that you may already own and that in most cases are of a dubious quality (which I’d never play anyway).

It’s 2 gens old because it fits in your pocket. If you’re expecting current gen power in the palm of your hand you must be wondering why Sony need to put it inside a console the size of a small building.

Mephisto40

Still paying for my game pass sub, although I should probably cancel it tbh, haven't switched on my xbox since Starfield came out

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
You got the ‘upgraded’ versions for £10, because you already own the games.

I’ve also owned countless Nintendo games and I don’t think I’ve seen them offer a single upgrade fee to play them on a newer system with modest enhancements. If I want it, I have to pay full price

That’s my entire point

Last edited:
Top Bottom