• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows to Feature Single-Player Battle-Passes, Key Art leaked

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I don't think Ubisoft survives this generation.

Don't do drugs.

Assassins Creed, Rainbow Six and FarCry are all Ubi needs to not only survive but also to fund all their smaller titles.

Considering the only MP game in the list is R6 its actually quite an achievement.

If they can give up on Ghost Recon and give us another The Division and Splinter Cell game.
They are golden.

Ghost Recon really needs a whole new director to figure out how to streamline the game, the last one tried too hard to be a jack of all trades while also being a Ubi open world game.....it failed at everything.

Laptop1991

I didn't buy Mirage due to Ubisoft's anti consumer practices, and they are getting even worse lol, no buy for me for the base game, and no buy buy buy etc for the rest of it lol.

GHG

Gold Member
Don't do drugs.

Assassins Creed, Rainbow Six and FarCry are all Ubi needs to not only survive but also to fund all their smaller titles.

Considering the only MP game in the list is R6 its actually quite an achievement.

If they can give up on Ghost Recon and give us another The Division and Splinter Cell game.
They are golden.

Ghost Recon really needs a whole new director to figure out how to streamline the game, the last one tried too hard to be a jack of all trades while also being a Ubi open world game.....it failed at everything.

They just diluted their shareholders to the tune of $541.2 million.

Businesses don't do that unless they are in a financial squeeze.

Ovek

7Member7
Seth Meyers No GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Firstly the man is clearly meant to be a Samurai and not a Ninja, and secondly the character is based off Yasuke, a weapon-bearer for Oda Nobunaga who was a black man.

I assume you were outraged about Nioh as well then, considering it starred a white dude? Or do you only get angry about black people in video games?
Yet another virtue signaling person………I dislike the fact that everything seems to be race swapping these days. From films to games. Period. This is yet another example of that. Of course they had to find a black samurai to put front and center in this installment while so many other entertainment outlets are doing the same. It’s very obvious and forced more than ever. Do you have a problem with me or anyone else who decides to call that out??? It appears you do based on your quoting me and saying what you said. I stand by what I said and will call it out everytime I see it.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yet another virtue signaling person………I dislike the fact that everything seems to be race swapping these days. From films to games. Period. This is yet another example of that. Of course they had to find a black samurai to put front and center in this installment while so many other entertainment outlets are doing the same. It’s very obvious and forced more than ever. Do you have a problem with me or anyone else who decides to call that out??? It appears you do based on your quoting me and saying what you said. I stand by what I said and will call it out everytime I see it.
I have a problem when people are upset with this choice when I wager they gave zero fucks about Nioh. Or the fact that if you want to play an ethically Japanese samurai there are dozens of games to choose from. Yasuke offers the potential for a good story to be told (and has been done so in novels, Manga, and Anime) but since everything is about culture wars these days people immediately see a black dude and get upset.

I have a problem when people are upset with this choice when I wager they gave zero fucks about Nioh. Or the fact that if you want to play an ethically Japanese samurai there are dozens of games to choose from. Yasuke offers the potential for a good story to be told (and has been done so in novels, Manga, and Anime) but since everything is about culture wars these days people immediately see a black dude and get upset.
You mean upset like you obviously are? That’s why you resorted to saying ZERO FUCKS??? That sir, is a YOU problem. The same way you feel your opinion is relevant is the same way myself or others feel about theirs. That’s what makes this world so grand…….people having a difference of opinion.

Phobos Base

There is no story to be told though, he was at best a glorified sword-carrier kept for the novelty value.

Skifi28

Gold Member
I'd like to see some gameplay first before writing it off. If the visuals and combat are nice, the world feels alive and there are proper side quests (unlike Valhalla) I could live through the other issues. Odyssey was mostly great.

Zathalus

You mean upset like you obviously are? That’s why you resorted to saying ZERO FUCKS??? That sir, is a YOU problem. The same way you feel your opinion is relevant is the same way myself or others feel about theirs. That’s what makes this world so grand…….people having a difference of opinion.
Zero fucks? I'm lost here, I don't recall stating that? As for being upset, you do appear to upset, or do you usually respond to everyone with random capitalization and repeated punctuation? Also yes, everyone has a different opinion, that goes without saying. Doesn't mean you can't say that you think someone's opinion is bad.

There is no story to be told though, he was at best a glorified sword-carrier kept for the novelty value.
The thing about AC games is they make no claim to be historically accurate, just inspired by it. Hence meeting basically every famous figure possible in the previous games. I thus find it very hard to believe you can't make an engaging story about Yasuke. A black man at the side of Oda Nobunaga is prime storytelling material. Debatable if Ubisoft can pull it off though.

Read your post sir…….IT CLEARLY SHOWS WHAT YOU SAID IN THE FIRST SENTENCE……ZERO FUCKS. Good day.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Sorry but this does not give me rage or great fury. I don't care if someone wants to buy a sp bp that unlocks cosmetics, as long as it just stays cosmetics.
And this is why we keep getting those stupid things.

"B-b-b-but it's just cosmetics so it's ok"

Well, yes but no, fuck that. Cosmetics are a nice part of games like those. It is part of the fun to seek for the best looking stuff and find it maybe in a hidden chest or after a cool boss battle. But no, now you just have to unlock a level! Whooohooo super cool, so fun and engaging...

StueyDuck

I wonder if all the "technically accurate" sticklers are gonna have that same opinion when they inevitably make both main characters LGBT... and we all know there's a sidequest coming where a man wants to be a women but society won't allow it so you will fetch <insert object A> for them so then they can be accepted. Teaching all gamers a lesson 🤣 sweet baby style

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

I wonder if all the "technically accurate" sticklers are gonna have that same opinion when they inevitably make both main characters LGBT... and we all know there's a sidequest coming where a man wants to be a women but society won't allow it so you will fetch <insert object A> for them so then they can be accepted. Teaching all gamers a lesson 🤣 sweet baby style
Why can't we go back to the days of Bayek and Ezio :/

And this is why we keep getting those stupid things.

"B-b-b-but it's just cosmetics so it's ok"

Well, yes but no, fuck that. Cosmetics are a nice part of games like those. It is part of the fun to seek for the best looking stuff and find it maybe in a hidden chest or after a cool boss battle. But no, now you just have to unlock a level! Whooohooo super cool, so fun and engaging...
Wrong like Donkey Kong. You assumed that I would be consuming said material, or that I'm defending it. Well guess what? I'm not. I don't buy AssCreed games and have no interest in them. Nice try.

And don't tell me we all need to hold hands and sing the Coke song and talk about world harmony either, because people will buy what they want to buy, and there is no "taking a stand" against optional content that isn't pay-to-win. They've been doing this crap for several generations now and this is nothing new.

Shut0wen

Its worst in valhalla, loads of cyber armour and stupid shit
if they're going to add cosmetics I hope it's something that makes sense. I don't know how it was in Valhalla but in Odyssey you have a lot of armor for the main character that looks like it was inspired by a carnival show, not to mention the horses, there's a horse on fire, a horse that leaves a trail of rainbows wherever it goes, a unicorn, things that don't make any sense to have in these games.

Black_Stride

Can we still consider games like this AAA?
Assassins Creeds costs atleast 100 - 150 million dollars so yeah.
Its def a AAA game.

no coincidence these are AA games.
And these big blockbusters basically fund those small games.
So hate or love.....actually it doesnt matter what NeoGAF thinks.....Valhalla brought in like a billion dollars in revenue.

If this game does less than 10 million units Ill be a SquareEnix executive and be very disappointed.

Del_X

I don't think Ubisoft survives this generation.

I'm taking the under on that by a LOT. They are one of the few publishers that seems to understand their own tech stack and can publish normie-friendly games consistently

Black_Stride

TIL that The Marvels was a AAA movie

We should reserve that title for quality, not costs
The defintiion of AAA stems from costs.
Not quality.....you can have a bad AAA game.....you cant have a cheap AAA game.

GHG

Gold Member
Wait this Ubisoft?

EUsjmdw.jpeg

Yes that Ubisoft.

You might want to take a look at their full earnings statement instead of just looking at the headline income numbers:

bK9cR7c.jpeg

Negative 393 million in cash flow and an increase of 323 million in debt.

And on top of that they are diluting their shareholders while aggressively having to lay people off.

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Yes that Ubisoft.

You might want to take a look at their full earnings statement instead of just looking at the headline income numbers:

bK9cR7c.jpeg

401 million loss, negative 393 million in cash flow and an increase of 323 million in debt.

And on top of that they are diluting their shareholders while aggressively having to lay people off.

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

Learn to read an income statement.

While they are in debt......few corpos arent....their operating income......is income .
The companies equity is nearly 2 billion........their cash is in excess of a billion.

FFTRHbU.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Learn to read an income statement.

While they are in debt......few corpos arent....their operating income......is income .
The companies equity is nearly 2 billion........their cash is in excess of a billion.

FFTRHbU.jpg

The main thing to look for is trends in their cashflow. Their cashflow is becoming increasingly negative quarter on quarter and they are taking on increasing amounts of debt to stay operational.

We are talking about a mature business here that has negative cash flow, "equity" is meaningless when it continues to decrease at the rate at which it has been. Their stock is down over 70% from 2021.

Black_Stride

The main thing to look for is trends in their cashflow. Their cashflow is becoming increasingly negative quarter on quarter and they are taking on increasing amounts of debt to stay operational.

We are talking about a mature business here that has negative cash flow, "equity" is meaningless when it continues to decrease at the rate at which it has been. Their stock is down over 70% from 2021.

Do we really have to break it down how Ubi is certainly NOT going under before the gen is over and if anything the hats upstairs are happy with this year and looking towards next year licking their lips as they have quite a few releases.
And even after a bad year (they had few releases) they are still profitable.....yes yes I know corporate bullshit how a company thats in debt is considered profitable, we should really be counting debt in the negative column.........but this is the corpo world.
22-23 was actually bad for Ubi.....23-24 looks great....im sure someone is actually gonna get a bonus, though I honestly have no idea what Ubi did to turn their income around....did R6S and Just Dance get a new update or something?

If youve seen any earnings reports from companies actually on their way under.....youll see that Ubisoft is far far far away from being a company in any trouble.
Considering their announcements and maybe now some people get why companies sometimes announce shit early.....last earning would have been slightly scary......this report looks like a quite healthy company.....granted there has been some "cheating" involved cuz they "saved" like 150 million from firing people.

I haven an even better idea. It's called not even paying a single dollar for this garbage.
That's an option too, same with buying a used/3rd party copy for cheap if you don't want to directly support them. As long as people aren't buying this at full price they'll be fine.

GHG

Gold Member
Do we really have to break it down how Ubi is certainly NOT going under before the gen is over and if anything the hats upstairs are happy with this year and looking towards next year licking their lips as they have quite a few releases.
And even after a bad year (they had few releases) they are still profitable.....yes yes I know corporate bullshit how a company thats in debt is considered profitable, we should really be counting debt in the negative column.........but this is the corpo world.
22-23 was actually bad for Ubi.....23-24 looks great....im sure someone is actually gonna get a bonus, though I honestly have no idea what Ubi did to turn their income around....did R6S and Just Dance get a new update or something?

If youve seen any earnings reports from companies actually on their way under.....youll see that Ubisoft is far far far away from being a company in any trouble.
Considering their announcements and maybe now some people get why companies sometimes announce shit early.....last earning would have been slightly scary......this report looks like a quite healthy company.....granted there has been some "cheating" involved cuz they "saved" like 150 million from firing people.

Well that's the thing, how much longer can they raise capital by taking on debt along with diluting shareholders and lay people off to paper over the cracks as their cash position continues to weaken further?

Personally I think they are one high profile dud away from the house of cards beginning to collapse, so let's see how the next assassins creed game does for them.

It's no coincidence that their debt exploded the moment their GAAS obsession began:

2LBfDPG.jpeg

All of this is happening while the strength of their flagship IP continues to decay and they are struggling to drum up anything new.

Black_Stride

Well that's the thing, how much longer can they raise capital by taking on debt along with diluting shareholders and lay people off to paper over the cracks as their cash position continues to weaken further?

Personally I think they are one high profile dud away from the house of cards beginning to collapse, so let's see how the next assassins creed game does for them.

It's no coincidence that their debt exploded the moment their GAAS obsession began:

2LBfDPG.jpeg

All of this is happening while the strength of their flagship IP continues to decay and they are struggling to drum up anything new.

R6S
Just Dance
Assassins Creed
FarCry

Anything and everything else is basically icing on the cake.

You wanna know how much debt Apple has?
If your outlook on Ubi is this dire.....I cant wait to see your views on Apples position.

GHG

Gold Member
You wanna know how much debt Apple has?
If your outlook on Ubi is this dire.....I cant wait to see your views on Apples position.

Spot the difference:

Apple are cash flow positive, in a very big way. So much so that they can afford to buy back shares.

There's the difference, debt isn't viewed in a vacuum.

If a company has negative free cash flow while their debt is increasing and they are diluting their shareholders and they are forced to make mass layoffs, then alarm bells should be ringing.

Any shareholder who bought their stock since March 2016 and held through to now will be underwater. The alarm bells will certainly be ringing for them.

Black_Stride

Spot the difference:

Apple are cash flow positive, in a very big way. So much so that they can afford to buy back shares.

There's the difference, debt isn't viewed in a vacuum.

If a company has negative free cash flow while their debt is increasing and they are diluting their shareholders and they are forced to make mass layoffs, then alarm bells should be ringing.

Any shareholder who bought their stock since March 2016 and held through to now will be underwater. The alarm bells will certainly be ringing for them.

Ohhh man I thought I left Econ behind but this shit keeps frikken following me.

Ubisofts Debt-Equity ratio is fine.
Their operating income is fine.
These fucking corpos basically get a free pass by just creating debt.....as long as their equity can cover it.
Ubisoft is far far from going under.
Why you would believe this is a sinking ship.....not only sinking but capsized already that it wont make the end of gen is so beyond me.

Last shitty result cuz some tickers havent updated yet.....and im really really too lazy to actyually do all the maths and come with reasons and citations as to why Ubisoft is NOT in the danger you seem to think its in.

UCEU9Hx.png

Aw1EoZ3.png

GHG

Gold Member
Ohhh man I thought I left Econ behind but this shit keeps frikken following me.

Ubisofts Debt-Equity ratio is fine.
Their operating income is fine.
These fucking corpos basically get a free pass by just creating debt.....as long as their equity can cover it.
Ubisoft is far far from going under.
Why you would believe this is a sinking ship.....not only sinking but capsized already that it wont make the end of gen is so beyond me.

Last shitty result cuz some tickers havent updated yet.....and im really really too lazy to actyually do all the maths and come with reasons and citations as to why Ubisoft is NOT in the danger you seem to think its in.

UCEU9Hx.png

Aw1EoZ3.png

Why are you cherry picking a single metric to assess their relative financial health? You're failing to take in to account pretty much everything else, which is what I touched on in my previous post. This isn't only about Ubisoft's increasing levels of debt, it's that along with everything else inclusive of key areas which continue to erode quarter after quarter, year after year.

Absolutely insane to compare them to apple who are pretty much the best run business in the world from a financial perspective.

Barakov

GNj1t7vWIAA0cDH

GNj1t7zXsAAz7RH

“I can't remember where I said this before, but in Assassin's Creed Shadows (via Infinity), there are mini Battle Passes called "Projects". Each project has 20 levels where you can unlock cosmetics.”
Three of them are called:
  • The Hidden Network
  • The Last Ronin
  • In The Shadows
Assassin’s Creed Shadows - Prices
——

Season Pass - $/€40

Welcome Pack (4200 Helix) - $/€35

Expansion 1 - $/€25

Expansion 2 - $/€25

—-Currency Packs—-

500 Helix - $/€5