• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big patches dropping for Diablo IV and Starfield this month. Which game will have the best redemption arc?

Which game stands to have the biggest improvement?

• Starfield

Votes: 82 45.8%
  • Diablo IV

Votes: 97 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StueyDuck

Banned
Biggest improvement and best redemption arc are two different things.

Starfield needs the biggest improvement by far but Diablo 4 could easily have the "best redemption" arc, if it wanted.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ll go with Starfield. I think it’ll be supported for longer, both by the devs and with mods, as I don’t really see “Starfield 2” coming out within the next two decades.

Once Diablo 5 releases Blizzard will just move on in order to milk as much money as they can from new whales.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Other than modders being able to add big titty aliens to Starfield, what exactly will they be able to improve?? Isn't the fundamental problem with Starfield a hard limitation in its engine which no amount of modding can fix, aka endless loading screens?

I started Stanfield at launch but that 30 fps was such a mood killer I Uninstalled it from my series x , this was exactly what I was looking for.
Deep down knowing Bethesda I knew they would release a 60 fps patch in about 60 months

Other than modders being able to add big titty aliens to Starfield, what exactly will they be able to improve?? Isn't the fundamental problem with Starfield a hard limitation in its engine which no amount of modding can fix, aka endless loading screens?
They'll recreate Skyrim in Starfield, but you get to keep the guns. That'll get those player numbers back up.

Ulysses 31

OP: They promised me a set of steak knives...
iu

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No amount of patching will redeem Starfields biggest issues.

Exploration just sucks. Will still be hampered by loading screens. There’s little desire to explore and venture off the beaten path. Landing on randomly generated planets got real old real fast.

If someone can tell me how patching can fix those issues I’ll listen.

Exploration just sucks. Will still be hampered by loading screens. There’s little desire to explore and venture off the beaten path. Landing on randomly generated planets got real old real fast.

They will have to put in hard work and make quests for planet surfaces.

At the end of update video, developer did said they are working on “quests and a massive expansion (Shattered Space)”.

Work is being done in this direction by the looks of it.

Hugare

Seriously what was there to « redeem » about D4? It had a great launch, sold gangbusters, had great reviews, runs flawlessly, was feature complete. Sure it got better over time but there was nothing broken or even wrong about it at launch.

I don’t understand the logic here.
I'm also scratching my head here

The reception at launch was great. I remember everyone here at Gaf loving it. I enjoyed it, and my last Diablo game was 2.

It's a GAAS game, so of course it will loose popularity with time. What is there to be redeemed?

Starfield tho ...

This is not a big patch, for starters. And the core game is rotten. Even with seamless exploration it would still be a badly designed game, with points of interest sprinkled all over some planets instead of a cohesive map to explore.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm hoping starfield can add those extra things to really elevate the game. The base is their but it needs more character and features. It's too sterile. They need to go all out.

JCK75

Diablo has the best chance, I think Starfield is beyond saving.. I think there is a certain type of person who who find it amazing.. but it's a small niche group.

Chukhopops

People bought it the way they buy GTA tittles. On name alone. A week after the massive press campaign and it turns out it lacks fun, loot and is just a fucking mess.
I think some people bought it expecting something other than Diablo. But I disagree entirely about the game being « a fucking mess ».

At least Starfield was somewhat controversial.

Definitely more interested in where Starfield goes. I'm excited to get back to it once the new DLC and performance patches hit the Series X. Land vehicles and more variety in random questing will go a long way too. I just wonder if the population is there for Bethesda to keep updating the game when Fallout is clearly what they need to be working on.

I think Starfield is waiting for the DLC before we can call it a redemption arc, if the DLC is really good and all the improvements planned we could see a big comeback but it has to deliver on its promise this time.

I'm going to give both a go - enjoyed Diablo IV until the end game. Shelved Starfield waiting for a more complete version...

Have to note though, No Man's Sky was, is and forever will be shit, stop saying it had a 'redemption arc' - when it launched it was basically a con, now it's grown to be confusing. All they have added is the fusing.

amigastar

No idea. At least the loot changes should help a bit. It was one of my biggest gripes.
Yeah, i was not really feeling it also with all this arbitrary loot. I will check out S4 anyways. Maybe it will be more fun now.

Last edited:
Starfield has many planets that are basically a blank canvas tor modders. Imagine if modders actually fleshed out all those barren plants. They probably will do that.

Starfield could become a very good game after a few years of mod support. Then, as they did with Skyrim, Bethesda will just release a new version with some of the mods in it.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Exploration absolutely sucks. Loading screens + just lost time to do absolutely nothing

In this for example at the 18:15 mark (obnoxious "this is funny!" sound) he takes 3 1/2 to 4 minutes to get to a fracking station to find... nothing of value and 3 enemies you've already seen plenty of times. Absolutely nothing of value in between that time and the payoff is crap.

That's my #1 complaint with Starfield. You waste so much time running around for next to no reward. A land vehicle will help this, but holy crap is this painful to play like this. At least in an MMO you have the social aspect when you're pointlessly wandering from point A to B. This is a single player RPG so you're just wasting your time.

Red5

There's nothing wrong with Diablo 4 if you intend to just play it for the story then replay it on higher difficulty. Way better than D3, they got the gritty gothic style from D2 back and ditched the WoW graphics of D3, visceral combat, great visuals. Most of the griping is with itemization and loot which is patchable.

Starfield needs more content to populate the barren worlds but that would require money and resources to create, while Bethesda is only legally obligated to create one expansion pack and MS is probably pressuring them to start with the new Fallout and TES game. So it all depends on how much they're willing to invest in the game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Starfield has a lot more potential. It is reminiscent of No Man's Sky. It really isn't a bad game, but it didn't hit the way Bethesda said it would. With updates and patches it can be improved. Ultimately, its saving grace will be the release of the Creation Kit which will let mod support explode. I don't know if it will ever get Skyrim levels of support, but it will still help boost the game's popularity.

Diablo IV isn't going to redeem itself in any way except to diehard fanboys. It's just there to milk whales.

Diablo IV is much eaiser to ”Fix” in that most of the issues are gameplay related.

StarField’s issues are gameplay, writing, And world building. Its much harder to remove the slacktivist mind virus that seeps through every facet of a game than fixing some gameplay issues.

Saber

Gold Member
Exploration absolutely sucks. Loading screens + just lost time to do absolutely nothing

In this for example at the 18:15 mark (obnoxious "this is funny!" sound) he takes 3 1/2 to 4 minutes to get to a fracking station to find... nothing of value and 3 enemies you've already seen plenty of times. Absolutely nothing of value in between that time and the payoff is crap.

That's my #1 complaint with Starfield. You waste so much time running around for next to no reward. A land vehicle will help this, but holy crap is this painful to play like this. At least in an MMO you have the social aspect when you're pointlessly wandering from point A to B. This is a single player RPG so you're just wasting your time.

Absolute brain damaging to think there was actually devs and people praising the realism aspects of it(there was an article back). Like, who the fuck wants to play this way? Because realistic speaking planets are dead and so to reflect that you have nothing to find when you explore them? What the hell is wrong with these guys?

Gojiira

Banned
Lmao ‘Redemption Arc’…Just no,Blizzard will always be greedy,arrogant assholes so no nothing will change…And Starfield? LOL,a big patch to rewrite the entire garbage script? Remake most of the mechanics? Add in some actual RPG elements? Sorry nothing is saving Starfield from how mediocre it is. Not even mods. Whoever compared it to NMS is clearly high, that game is leagues ahead…

diffusionx

Gold Member
The thing about the "redemption arc" that people don't seem to understand, at least with CP2077, is that the game already had a great story, voice acting, graphics, quests, city design, etc. It was just buggy. It was too buggy, and the PS4/One releases were abominable, and they deserved all the flak they got, but there was always a great game there. Is that true of Shartfield? It's not like Bethesda is going to "fix" the character design and facial animations and quest design that all feel and look a generation behind games like Cyberpunk. It's always going to be Gamebryo. Etc. Likewise, Diablo 4 is always going to be a shitty exploitative gaashit game made by a company that hates its fanbase.

So yea, my answer is neither.

phant0m

D IV. It was a fine game from the start, just needed help with endgame grind/loot.

Starfield really isn't that bad a of game but will always be limited by that engine.

Yoda

Starfield has weak immersion on the story/lore building front. That simply can't get patched. I'm not sure removing loading screens would actually save the game.

D4 is well a post peak Blizzard game? I'm sure it'll have a fanbase for awhile, but it won't achieve the reverence of D2 or peak WoW with the current management.

I don’t know how you fix Starfield to remove the blandness from the game, you basically have to rewrite the main quest and all the companions and NPCs, and that’s not happening.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I feel like those stating that Diablo 4 can't be improved don't actually follow most ARPGs.
The problem with Diablo 4 is that it isn't Nioh 2. And if you truly need that isometric experience Grim Dawn exists. And a new expansion for GD is gonna hit sometime this year. Of which this is the 3rd expansion. And Diablo 4 has 0 to speak of. Diablo 4 is too busy trying to sell you cosmetics instead of improving the game with it's lackluster builds and build variety when other games have it in spades.

Top Bottom