• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty players asked if they would switch to Xbox to play COD Day 1 on Game Pass? By charlieINTEL

Would you switch to Xbox to play Call of Duty Day 1 on Game Pass?

• Yes will buy xbox

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Not switching

Votes: 158 54.3%
  • Already have an xbox

Votes: 77 26.5%
  • PC

Votes: 42 14.4%

• Total voters

splattered

I mean the real draw would be putting the new COD day 1 on gamepass except also putting the entire back catalog on gamepass as well (or some sort of master chief collection style game) I could see people maybe grabbing an Xbox for that.

XXL

Yes, they going leave their friend group and buy another console to have the privilege of renting a game.
90 Day Fiance Reaction GIF by TLC Europe

xrnzaaas

Most people play where their friends are, not to mention you can also get Game Pass on PC. Xbox consoles won't start flying off the shelves if the game's in Game Pass on day 1.

Last edited:

nordique

Well, seeing as I have game pass, yes.

I tend to be that idiot that buys them every year to play the campaign lol

NickFire

Asked a few friends on Battlenet who play MP COD what they thought of it going to GP and the general consensus among PC players is about as follows

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF
For people who play year round there's not much value (to non-GP people) in May. 12*6 = 72. If you were subbing we're in the back end months where you would be paying extra compared to a 70 purchase in Oct. / Nov.

Assuming I even get this year's (I have not liked Treyarch's three previous CODs) I'll get it on PS5, despite owning an XSX.

1. The DualSense (particularly the Edge) is a way better controller than the Xbox controller.
2. Xbox is a sinking ship, investing money in the platform if I absolutely don't need to in order to play a game I want to play is folly.
3. COD has lost its luster anyway.

BigLee74

Put COD on Xbox 3 months before any other system, and millions would switch. Thats how fickle we COD players are.

Would that break any agreement? Do MS have to release COD on other systems at the same time?

Last edited:
Not everyone wants a PC.

The correct statement would be "theres not point in buying an xbox when you can just buy a PS5".

Well no. Because PC has everything the xbox has essentially. PS5 has different games, no gamepass etc. I'm not saying it's an inferior product but what you are stating is illogical in the context of this hypothetical.

clarky

Gold Member
Put cod on Xbox 3 months before any other system, and millions would switch. Thats how fickle we COD players are.

Would that break any agreement? Do MS have to release COD on other systems at the same time?
I don't believe the average COD player would spend £400-£500 to play COD a few months early. They would just continue to play the last instalment until the new one became available.

clarky

Gold Member
Well no. Because PC has everything the xbox has essentially. PS5 has different games, no gamepass etc. I'm not saying it's an inferior product but what you are stating is illogical in the context of this hypothetical.
Not really, the playstation will also be playing the majority of xbox games soon enough as well as its own stuff. Nothing illogical about it. Then there will be zero reason to own one over a playstation.

I own a Series X for clarity.

Last edited:
Not really, the playstation will also be playing the majority of xbox games soon enough as well as its own stuff. Nothing illogical about it. Then there will be zero reason to own one over a playstation.

I own a Series X for clarity.

Yeah but right now it doesn't...currently a PC is day and date with Xbox on everything. Which is why most people rock a PS5 and PC combo this gen. And this initial discussion is - would you move to xbox ecosystem (PC/Xbox) if cod was gated behind that (not on playstation)...

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah but right now it doesn't...currently a PC is day and date with Xbox on everything. Which is why most people rock a PS5 and PC combo this gen. And this initial discussion is - would you move to xbox ecosystem (PC/Xbox) if cod was gated behind that (not on playstation)...
Nobody said anything about COD being exclusive as far as im aware?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yes, they going leave their friend group and buy another console to have the privilege of renting a game.

They only need to rent the game for a year, cuz their service will give them the new one next year "for free"..
They might as well be renting the game right now cuz as soon as the new one drops they forget they had/have the old one.

BigLee74

I don't believe the average COD player would spend £400-£500 to play COD a few months early. They would just continue to play the last instalment until the new one became available.
I’m not so sure!

At the very least, it will impact the decision on their next console purchase.

fuck if only we could play with people across different platform experiences.

Imagine the world when this technology comes into affect. it would be amazing.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Think youll under estimate casuals, COD on gamepass would be a killer especially if they also ass all the older titles
Who would buy an entire new console to play the game on a sub if their current hardware can already play it?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
In what world is paying ~$240 a year to rent a catalog of nearly entirely old games plus COD even remotely a better option than just paying $70 and owning the game?
I'm surprised that this question is still being asked, since it's been asked so many times.

If you're going to buy Cod anyway, then buying two more full price games costs you $210 in total and gives you 3 games to play vs however many there are on Gamepass for the year. Gamepass (full price) costs $204 and comes with the online service (formerly Xbox Live) included.

That's the price comparison really. A year of Gamepass or 3 games.

Yes, there are a mix of games - some older ones, some day one releases too.

If you're only going to play Cod then it's cheaper to buy it outright, that's true.

It's your money, play 3 brand new games for something like $210 (no online). Or play hundreds of games on Gamepass (inc online) for $204.

Obviously you can get discounts very easily - Gamepass ultimate is $45 on Amazon for 3 months. So that's $180 for the year.

So if it ends up that if you're paying $70 for COD and $50 for online then that's $120 - so the difference between cod and online for a year Vs Gamepass for a year is $60 if you buy codes from Amazon.

Doesn't seem like the worst deal if you're buying COD annually and think you'll get $60 of value out of access to a few hundred games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom