• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catcher In The Rye, How Many Years Do You Have Left To Game?

StereoVsn

Don’t see myself stopping. My tastes will change I am sure, and I would prefer some genres over others or may just play “retro” (at that time) games.

I especially see myself playing strategy games for a long, long time. And large sprawling RPGs.

SJRB

Gold Member
images

Burry me with the PlayStation 12 controller in hand bro

i'm in my 70s, i just took my ps3 out of mothballs, & i discovered that you can still access the online store, & that i've got all 3 fatal frames, both digital devil sagas, both devil summoners, infamous 1&2, & arkham origins on the hard drive...

so, yeah - no telling how many years i got left, but why in the hell would i possibly consider quitting beforehand?...

T4keD0wN

My grandparents are both around 100 right now and their diet sucks compared to mine, so at the very least i hope to have 70 years left, in gaming terms ive got at least 3 or 4 more Baldurs Gates and about 200 Skyrim re-releases left in me.

Last edited:

Deerock71

My tastes have shifted as I've gotten older. When I was young and twitchy, I was into the Unreal Tournaments and Quake 3s. Now I'm 52, and I'm starting to get into JRPGs and VNs. Fuck y'all! I'll game until you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

Last edited:
As long as my fingers can move, and as long as my brain doesn't need 5 seconds to register that I should press a button.
It's a passion of mine, I don't see myself "getting over" video games.

I obviously will get to a point where I won't be able to play certain games. I'm 26 (27 in one month), I'm sure that in a few decades I won't be able to enjoy fighting games or Bayonetta 12 as much as I would like.

But as long as I can, let's go!

unclbenn

My gaming has slowed down considerably, I only manage to play 2-3 games a year but I can't see myself stopping. I just love the industry, it's the same way with movies and music, while it doesn't envelope my life like it used to when I was younger, I'll never stop enjoying these things.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For as long as I can.

Thing is, my back is fucking me up for good. Got a contracture and I've been on painkillers since yesterday, barely capable of playing games. Kinda made me realize I should take better care of myself if want to keep enjoying life to it's fullest. :goog_relieved:

i'm in my 70s
Username checks out!

Lol just kidding, really wish to be able to keep playing games when (and if) I reach that age.

reinking

Gold Member
To be perfectly honest, I hope to quit gaming at some point next year. I'd like to get into more productive, intellectually stimulating, or physically active hobbies and hopefully start a family if I can find a good partner.
...but what if your new partner is a gamer?

Uno Reverse GIF

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
As long as they make games I want to play. I am pretty close to tapping out of the AAA games biz right now. They’ve gotten extremely boring and formulaic. Marvel quips and slow walk + chats. 😴

Give me stuff like Tekken and Eiyuden and Ill keep buying games.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
why, we're just facing our mortality and transient existence.
Check out OPs past threads.

majorgamer10 majorgamer10 Based on the threads you've made in the last 2-3 months, I think you may be falling out of love with gaming as a hobby. And you know what? That's fine. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with you that need to be fixed or something wrong with games. Just means you're not into it anymore. Again, that's fine.

As for the question in this thread, I will continue to operate the way I do today:
If there are things that interest me and I have time to enjoy them, I will. Otherwise, I will do something else. The industry isn't obligated to make and sell me games I like, and I'm not obligated to spend my money on anything they make.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I see games the same way I see music & TV and films, as long as there is something good to play I'll play it.
Just because I reached a certain age doesn't mean I'm gonna pack up who I am and pop it in the closet to apease people.

Guilty_AI

majorgamer10 majorgamer10 Based on the threads you've made in the last 2-3 months, I think you may be falling out of love with gaming as a hobby. And you know what? That's fine. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with you that need to be fixed or something wrong with games. Just means you're not into it anymore. Again, that's fine.
or he's trolling 🤷‍♂️

I'm 42 and I'd say I'll game until I pass away everything being equal.

But I will say I'm getting closer and closer to essentially being a retro gamer. Not a ton of modern stuff that interests me. While my backlog on the other hand has an endless list of games that do.
I'm 36 and feel the exact same way. I don't find myself that interested in modern games. Like you, the backlog is just massive at this point and there's plenty to play.

Kings Field

37 and planning on going until I can’t anymore. Like other have said, modern games have not being impressing me too much besides the odd Elden Ring here and there but I’ve been going back and playing games I’ve missed out on and trying some games I skipped because they weren’t my thing at the time.

Check out OPs past threads.

As for the question in this thread, I will continue to operate the way I do today:
If there are things that interest me and I have time to enjoy them, I will. Otherwise, I will do something else. The industry isn't obligated to make and sell me games I like, and I'm not obligated to spend my money on anything they make.
This question has haunted me my whole life. Especially during my League of Legends and World of Warcraft years!

Its always burning in the back of my mind.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This question has haunted me my whole life. Especially during my League of Legends and World of Warcraft years!

Its always burning in the back of my mind.
You are overthinking this, it just a hobby….if you falling out of gaming then find different hobby…….thats just life.

Thankfully for me my love for gaming has become even bigger than when I was younger, I will never see myself quit gaming.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
56 here. Can’t wait to retire so I can play more. Kids are all out of the house. Just this work stuff that gets in the way.

Catcher In The Rye is a book about saving the innocence of childhood from the pretense of adulthood. As we question how many Fallouts we have left in us, how long do you plan to game, now? Does this influence how you buy games these days?

Catcher In The Rye is in my Top 10 favorite books of all time

I'm a huge fan of J D Salinger. I just love his prose. I wish he wrote more than 3 books personally

Anyways I'm planning to game til I die

But as I grow older I wait on sales more and more. I hardly buy games at full price anymore.

I dont think I am overthinking this. There is drive to preserve games already, which I think is about saving the innocence of childhood from the pretense of adulthood. So I am not the only person who thinks about this. I think its a great forum question that captures a modern problem in Gaming right now! :D

Audiophile

31 and it's only in the last year that I've started thinking it might not be a forever thing. I dreamt of these amazing worlds we'd get to experience in games but little has even come close, it's mostly just turned into a money extraction gig funded by whales and teenagers spending their weekly fortnite allowance on their addiction.

Game systems are largely the same, very little is organic, the industry is painfully inefficient and if they can barely make the largely homogenised, bloated same-old same-old we're getting now, I don't think many will be raising the bar much further. All the big companies are consolidating their eggs into a few sure-thing baskets and very little is made for me at this point. On the smaller side, the PS3 and early PS4 gen had many great titles; but even the 'indies' aren't putting out a whole lot that interest me.

There's a handful of technological developments underway or on the horizon that may get us over the hump, but it probably won't last long, then after that companies likely won't use it to add much value, depth or quality but to cut heads and extract more cash in the short-term while doing the bare minimum to get the automatic pre-orderers and addicts on board.

I'm really 50/50 when it comes to my hope for this whole thing. Gaming may have a big future still but for me it won't matter if it turns into everyone just getting you to cough up for endless microtransactions on forced, over-priced bundles across a mix of full, half and free-priced games which also have effective subscriptions built in in the form of battle passes, season passes and premium battle passes. It used to be fun earning all the cosmetic stuff, now I just feel like I'm missing out on most of it because I can't on principal spend £20 on a bundle to get one thing I want and five things I don't; in which case I just don't bother anymore.

I have hope for another gen or two perhaps, but after that I really don't know.. I've already checked out of this gen for two years and probs won't be back in for another year with the Pro, Death Stranding 2 & GTAVI. Beyond that I see Ghost Of Tsushima 2. But I'm just finding myself less impressed with everything.

I wonder if the industry is chasing the fickle masses and their money, but there'll come a big switch off and they'll be left with no foundation when the core, long-term fanbases give up -- no longer there to catch them.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Until I am not among the living. I take inspiration from those who enjoy getting new games, who are also older than me. I plan to be retired and launching a From Software game.

Top Bottom