• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catcher In The Rye, How Many Years Do You Have Left To Game?

Topher

Gold Member
Profile these nuts OP!

Bad advice....

9sc9ncm5fh171.jpg

Hoddi

47 and I intend to keep playing until I die. I’m a a big believer that challenging yourself into old age helps keeping the brain healthy.

SJRB

Gold Member
The boomer notion that playing videogames is something you do as a kid but then grow out of is so bizarre.

Do you stop watching football when you grow up? Do you stop riding a bike? Do you stop asking 12 year old girls on dates? Hell no, brother.

Hell no.

Alan Wake

I'm 42 and I have never been more invested in videogames. But work and family obviously take a lot of time so I have given up on ever finishing games like The Witcher III or RDR2. I dip my toes into them and enjoy them the way I can. But I'm most happy when I find a good game that I can finish in 15 hours max.

Friends come and go, hobbies and different engagements too. But games have stayed with me through dark times and good, and I guess that says something. I don't think they'll ever go away. However, depending on what happens with the game industry as a whole (I have some concerns right now), I may start prioritize indies and retro games in the future.

Last edited:
I dont think I am overthinking this. There is drive to preserve games already, which I think is about saving the innocence of childhood from the pretense of adulthood. So I am not the only person who thinks about this. I think its a great forum question that captures a modern problem in Gaming right now! :D

That's one of reasons why. But the other reasons is because most of western made games are woke as hell. It's been seeping into Japanese games too. That's why lot of people play older games nowadays (I know I do)

Not only that the games that are older are usually focused on fun than just Mah Graphics! or just making the game a movie

Last edited:

Edmund

I'm still pretty young but I suffer from poor health so maybe another 15-20 years before I croak? It's still quite a lot of video games I can play.

Looking forward to more Street Fighter and Tekken games. And Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I’m 43 now and I barely play unless there is something that catches my eye. I think the last game I bought was Eldin Ring at launch. I used to buy 10-15 games a year between steam, PlayStation, and Xbox.

It has just become about stores and taking your money anyway they can and it really killed my interest.

My two sons are adults now and they built themselves gaming PCs and they still buy a lot of games, but my youngest won’t buy any game made with any micro transactions in them. My oldest I believe plays league of leagues or something with a top down view and a few more like that and final fantasy 14 I believe.

So, I guess gaming has pretty much ended for me at least having the controller in my hand, but I enjoy family time watching them play their new stuff.

We also as a family since Mortal Kombat 9 I believe with the refresh and we each take turns on each chapter and we play the game and talk about the story together. I hope that never ends, though.

kiphalfton

Playing through Fallout 3, I have no clue how somebody could play this, NV, FO4, FO76 in a short span. Fun game, but they're also like 100 hours each to beat.

I feel extremely guilty committing to long games, especially when gameplay is mediocre. Also because I don't play that many games per year.

5-10 hours is the perfect length. Can knock them out easy.

Realistic probably have about 100 more games in me, before I'm probably done with gaming.

My physical backlog is probably 200 games and digital backlog is 500+ games. Some games are not going to make the cut, which is sad because I don't have anybody to pass the games onto (no kids, no partner, no family that I trust to not throw them away, etc.).

Thanks for depressing me OP 😢

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gaming is a hobby of mine. I love it, I will continue to game as long as I have fingers and eyes. But priorities are important. It will never get in the way of my life, dreams, work, and family.
This is the way. I love gaming too but there's a time and place, especially with the investment they require. People complain about short games but playing System Shock 2 and finishing it in 12 hours felt like a breathe of fresh air this year.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
I'm 62, and I can't see myself ever completely turning my back on the hobby - unless I get so disabled I can't play anymore.

The "innocence" thing alluded to in the OP is a different matter, though. I do not play games with the childlike innocence I did when I was a kid. Those days are gone. I'm a bitter husk of a man now (j/k, but I'm hardly glowing with the purity of childhood innocence).

amigastar

I'm 62, and I can't see myself ever completely turning my back on the hobby - unless I get so disabled I can't play anymore.

The "innocence" thing alluded to in the OP is a different matter, though. I do not play games with the childlike innocence I did when I was a kid. Those days are gone. I'm a bitter husk of a man now (j/k, but I'm hardly glowing with the purity of childhood innocence).
Hmm, you could be the oldest gamer here on GAF. Congrats :messenger_smiling:

If you think about it, diapers will just increase immersion. Wont have to stop to go to the bathroom.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Good thread. Probably in the twilight now if I'm being honest. Last few years I've only bought select big titles.

Just not as exciting as it used to be and I hate saying that as gaming has been a huge part of me for 30 years.

I did take about a 7 year break in there earlier so maybe that's what's going on.

I find myself getting excited about an 86 foxbody mustang GT id like to rebuild.

Eh, who knows. Doesn't feel like much is left though.

Fbh

At this point the idea of videogames being something you should outgrow seem antiquated.

There's no expectation that I should give up reading books or watching movies and sports at some point in my life. I don't see why videogames should be any different.

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
43 now, I'll never stop. There are more games that exist now than time available in an entire lifetime. So I do try to prioritize, now, the ones I really enjoy or have been meaning to play for awhile.

Top Bottom